Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Within the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the Machinist II serves as a member of a machine shop team, whose primary customers are faculty, researchers and students throughout Harvard and outside the University.
This position is a one-year term appointment with the possibility of extension. The regular schedule is 40 hours a week, 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, with overtime required as needed.
- Performs skilled work in set up and operation of standard and CNC metal working machine tools, hand power tools, and hand tools to shape, fabricate, and install mechanical parts or assemblies
- Works from blueprints, sketches, or verbal instructions
- Skillfully works with engineering materials, which include steel and copper alloys, as well as refractory metals and plastics, wood, and epoxy resins
- Finishes materials to standard machine shop tolerances
- Normally organizes own work procedures
- May work with other groups such as electronic, electrical, mechanical, and vacuum technicians in the fabrication of special parts and equipment
- Performs related duties as required
- Graduate of a trade school/apprenticeship program, or a minimum of two years’ experience working in a machine shop environment required
- Experience using CAD software required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Must be able to work effectively and cooperatively with machine shop team members, faculty, researchers and students
- Desire to significantly improve depth and breadth of machining knowledge/skills and engage in extensive on-the-job training
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work in an environment where the noise level may be moderate to high at times
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Ability to work overtime as needed to meet workload demands and project deadlines
- Familiarity with MasterCam software strongly preferred
- Ability to independently operate 2 axis prototrak controls or equivalent controller
- Welding experience a plus
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences does not provide visa sponsorship for administrative and staff positions.
This position requires will require working on campus full-time in Cambridge.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Commitment to Diversity
SEAS is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment. Some of our core values include respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences serves as the connector and integrator of Harvard’s teaching and research efforts in engineering, applied sciences, and technology. Our core tenets are educating broad-minded students; interdisciplinary research; integration across disciplines; and balancing theory, experimentation and practice to create an unmatched environment for learning and exploration. Through collaboration with researchers from all parts of Harvard, other universities, and industry, we bring discovery and innovation directly to bear on improving human life and society. For more information about us, please visit www.seas.harvard.edu.
USA - MA - Cambridge
403110 Exper Research Machinist II
SEAS Machine Shop
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Postdoctoral Associate, Computational Biology, School Of Medicine (2250028930428), Boston University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Dr. Chao Zhang’s lab at Boston University School of Medicine is seeking a computational biology postdoctoral associate who is interested in studying immuno-oncology or aging. The postdoctoral scho...
Postdoctoral Associate, Rapid Prototyping Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 2 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. POSTDOCTORAL ASSOCIATE, RAPID PROTOTYPING TECHNOLOGY, Mechanical Engineering, to work on design, m...
Technical Associate I, Computational, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 2 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, COMPUTATIONAL, Biological Engineering, to join the research laboratory of P...
Postdoctoral Associate, Neidl (2250028950429), Boston University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Dr. Mohsan Saeed’s laboratory at Boston University’s National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate for a project on the interplay ...
Postdoctoral Associate, Magnetoelectrics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 2 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. POSTDOCTORAL ASSOCIATE, MAGNETOELECTRICS, Media Lab/Program in Media Arts and Sciences-Nano-Cybern...
Research Associate, Urban Harbors Institute, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 22 hours ago
General Summary: Under the general supervision of the Director, the successful candidate will conduct multi-disciplinary research focused on the marine and coastal environment and port and harbor ...