Who We Are & What We Can Offer You:
WBUR is Boston’s NPR and a public media leader, producing exceptional journalism on-air, online, on-demand, and in real life. Our mission is to provide high-quality journalism and enriching experiences that foster understanding, connection, and community for an expanding circle of people. WBUR is member-supported and licensed to Boston University.
Employees at WBUR are a team of professionals who value truth, diverse perspectives, and candid debate, creating a culture of mutual respect, passion, and belonging.
We’ve got exciting plans to keep innovating and building WBUR for the future.
We’re growing. And you’ll grow too.
We offer our employees a hybrid workplace, with a mix of remote, hybrid, and in-person work arrangements.
We also offer:
The Opportunity and Who You’ll Work With:
Position Type: Permanent, Full Time, Benefits Eligible
Work Format: 100% Onsite, 5 days a week
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 08:00AM-04:00PM ET, 40 hours per week
Radio Boston is the local midday show that dares, sparkles, provokes, unites and inspires.
It clears a space at the table for people with fresh thinking, sharp minds, and stories that have yet to be told. Radio Boston strives to serve the rich diversity of Greater Boston, to deepen trust and engagement with our community, and to initiate conversations that bring those most affected to the fore. We're looking for a collaborative, rigorous and ambitious news leader to build on the show's success, implement the existing show strategy, and help develop its future.
As Executive Producer, you will lead a creative, fast-moving team at the top of its game. You will develop the short and long-term strategy across all Radio Boston platforms, manage assignments, sharpen and elevate ideas, and aspire each day to raise the bar of WBUR's journalistic excellence. You will manage the team, providing coaching, feedback and career development.
And while managing both on behalf of the team, you will also manage on behalf of the organization. You will be an effective communicator, implementer, and advocate of the needs of both.
Importantly, you will foster a supportive and inclusive environment in which every team member is able to achieve their best work, have a voice, and thrive. In addition, you will coordinate with other newsroom leaders to develop coverage plans across shows and platforms, and think critically about our journalism and how we reflect, connect and serve the diversity of Greater Boston every day.
Your Primary Responsibilities:
- Plan, lead, and manage the development of all upcoming broadcast shows and other Radio Boston programming with the host and managing producer.
- Lead by example; inspire staff to produce consistently compelling, engaging and creative programming.
- Maintain and monitor an ongoing list of daily and future shows and special live coverage. Coordinate all logistics, such as identifying, booking and pre-interviewing guests; and managing the schedule of multiple daily interviews in WBUR studios and elsewhere. Lead weekly planning meetings and work with the host and production staff on researching topics, writing scripts and show promotions.
- Oversee the daily editing and production of Radio Boston programs for broadcast and podcast and for digital platforms.
- Supervise at least 5 direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion,m and disciplinary issues for these positions.
- Contribute to WBUR’s on-going daily newsroom operation as assigned; assist during on-air fundraising campaigns; and attend outside station activities as required. Other duties as needed.
- (35%) Oversee the daily program: foster an environment of rigor, creativity and collaboration. Facilitate show meetings, manage assignments and delegate responsibility. Refine segment ideas, edit and provide feedback on show segment scripting and production.
- (35%) Provide leadership and supervisor to team, includes providing coaching, career development and regular feedback. Additionally, effectively communicate, implement and advocate for the organization and the team.
- (20%) Develop strategy for audience growth and engagement on non-broadcast platforms.
- (10%) Coordinate with the broader newsroom on coverage strategies, special broadcasts and major news events.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Minimum eight years of journalism experience, including at least three years managing collaborative teams. Ability to edit and set a high standard of journalism excellence on broadcast and digital platforms.
Capabilities and Proficiencies:
- An excitement about WBUR’s mission to provide an essential public good: high-quality journalism and enriching experiences that foster understanding, connection and community
- Exceptional leadership skills, able to build trust, influence
- A commitment to journalism fundamentals, including accuracy, fairness, respect, honesty and independence on-air and online (for more, see WBUR’s ethics guidelines )
- An ability to manage both for the team and for the organization as a whole
In an ongoing effort to enrich our organizational culture, WBUR is committed to building a staff and leadership team that reflects the diversity of our city, region and nation.
Designing an organization where everyone thrives, creating connection and community that permeates our workplace requires real change across all facets of what we do and who we are.
We must hire, support, develop, advance and retain diverse talent at all levels of the organization with a standard of inclusive excellence.
If you are excited by this opportunity and have a passion for our mission - whether you meet all or some of our criteria - we want to talk to you. After submitting your application – join our Talent Community !
If you require an ADA reasonable accommodation to complete your application and/or participate in the interview process, please let us know here .
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Marketing Operations Manager, Wbur (23500603920907), Boston University, United States, 1 day ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Communications/Journalism Internal Number: 4827342 MARKETING OPERATIONS MANAGER,...
Physician Billing Associate, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 1 day ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Westwood, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 72885BR Job Summary The Shared Service Customer Service team provides sup...
Director, Annual Giving Programs, Boston College, United States, 1 day ago
Boston College Introduction Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,484 full-time undergraduates and 5,250 g...
Environmental Services Floor Care Tech Ii Overnight Shift Waltham, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 30-Nov-23 Location: Waltham, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 72832BR Job Summary *Environmental Service positions are currently eligibl...
Physician Assistant, Ortho Clinic, Trauma (40 Hrs), Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 6 days ago
Details Posted: 26-Nov-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 72403BR Job Summary This Physician Assistant will be responsible for: Comprehen...
Genetic Counselor I, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 1 day ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 72817BR Job Summary We are seeking a Genetic Counselor to join the Division...