Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description. This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to the worksite. Telecommute is not an option for this role.
About Residential & Dining Enterprises:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
About Stanford Dining:
R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations, Schwab Executive Dining , an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford , Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the world’s premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visit www.dining.stanford.edu .
Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different.
Oversee all culinary-related activities of food service operations and have responsibility for a campus region's systematic performance. Work in conjunction with the designated food service managers and chefs to meet revenue and expense goals.
- Lead recipe and menu planning by creating theme menus and recipes that align with organizational business optimization, quality, and customer service standards.
- Promote health and safety standards by ensuring all operations are delivering effective and complete food safety and hygiene programs and by performing real-time assessments on program completion.
- Lead comprehensive business optimization by reviewing and analyzing operations' inventory practices, designating changes and monitoring implementation, systematically integrating with organizational quality, safety, storage, certifications, and waste management goals, ensuring facilities' equipment is maintained and forecasting necessary replacements, overseeing and ensuring operations are controlling labor and operating expenses through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions, and inventory control, and overseeing and reviewing forecasting and strategic budgeting.
- Lead and model effective employee and staff relations by evaluating, leading, motivating, coaching, and providing corrective action for direct reports.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Accredited college program or degree, preferably specializing in a culinary program, or combination of education and relevant experience. Seven years of culinary management experience directing a large staff/multi-meal plan location/large volume cooking.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to execute creative menu development.
- Ability to apply business optimization principles and techniques across the organization.
- Ability to champion innovative ideas and concepts by utilizing cutting edge trends and maintaining current industry standards.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to harmoniously and professionally manage and work with co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to operate computer equipment and food and beverage computer systems.
- Ability to operate and utilize culinary production equipment and tools.
- Understanding and ability to apply local, state, and federal health and sanitation laws.
- Reading, writing, and oral proficiency in the English language.
- Understanding and application of basic training techniques.
Certifications and Licenses:
- ServSafe CA Certification
- Constantly stand, walk, chop and mix.
- Frequently twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 50.
- Ability to see food presentation and taste all types of food (glutens, dairy, all protein, vegetables, and starches).
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
*- This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to the worksite. Telecommute is not an option for this role.
- Scheduled days and work hours may vary based on operational need.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Assistant Director, Hospitality And Events Athletics, The California State University, United States, 9 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 501342 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 15, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Lin...
Data Visualization Analyst, The California State University, United States, 30 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500749 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 25, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Program Analyst, Faculty And Staff Leaves, The California State University, United States, 8 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500621 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 15, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Confidential (C99) Link to ...
Data Analyst, The California State University, United States, 22 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500751 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 2, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Senior Director Real Estate Development And Special Projects, The California State University, United States, 23 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500903 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 31, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: https...
Department Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 29 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500597 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 26, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...