Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
We are seeking a talented, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented Executive Assistant to join the Engineering and Applied Science (EAS) Division Office administrative team. The successful candidate will possess initiative, excellent judgement, and strong problem-solving skills. The Executive Assistant is responsible for managing the calendar of the EAS Division Chair, which is complex and dynamic; supporting the Division Chair in the execution of the Chair’s duties; and providing administrative and project support for the Division Operations Officer and the EAS Deputy Chair. The Executive Assistant is an integral member of the EAS Division Office team in support of special projects and events; and will also serve as office manager and receptionist for the Division Office.
Success in this role requires the ability to develop effective, cross-functional working relationships in the Division and throughout the Institute with faculty, staff, and students. It requires maturity, good observational skills, and the flexibility to work effectively with many personality styles.
EAS is home to over 75 faculty members working at the leading edges of fundamental science to invent the technologies of the future. We are organized into seven departments and a Division Office, all of which interact closely both academically and administratively.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist the Division Chair in the execution of the Chair’s responsibilities.
- Maintain the Chair’s calendar by arranging appointments and meetings.
- Assist the Deputy Chair and the Division Operations Officer in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Formal correspondence editing and proofreading.
- Distribute announcements related to research funding, employment and internship opportunities, and other related matters.
- Support data collection and reporting for third party surveys and accreditation processes.
- Process and/or monitor Division Office P-card transactions; order and maintain Division Office supplies.
- Assist the Finance Manager in reconciling Division accounts, as needed.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate special events, seminars, social events.
- Serve as backup for the Academic Affairs Manager for professorial faculty, non-professorial research faculty, postdoctoral scholars, and visiting faculty.
- Coordinate graduate and undergraduate award nominations.
- Open and distribute office mail; respond to walk-in requests, answer and direct general phone calls.
- Maintain confidential records and files; organize and/or develop filing systems and electronic data management systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and seven years of academic and administrative support experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate clearly and tactfully.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with various levels of staff and faculty.
- Ability to handle confidential information with maturity and discretion.
- Must have excellent organization skills and be detail oriented. Is required to effectively resolve problems by applying policies and procedures.
- Ability to independently respond to routine requests and use excellent judgment and discretion in responding to or referring complex or special requests to the Division Operations Officer or other members of the Division.
- Requires someone who is organizationally astute, can handle many responsibilities simultaneously, is self-motivated, and is energized by being part of an administrative team that interacts throughout the Division and the Institute.
- Proficiency with desktop computer systems and office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Asana).
- Caltech experience preferred.
- Experience with Oracle desirable.
- Cover Letter
Business Operations Manager, California Institute of Technology, United States, 10 days ago
Details Posted: 17-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Business/Finance Internal Number: 5031994 Business Operations Manager Caltech Job Category: Fullt...
Pma Academic Affairs Manager, California Institute of Technology, United States, 19 days ago
Details Posted: 08-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Business/Finance Internal Number: 4999325 PMA Academic Affairs Manager Caltech Job Category: Full...
Grant Manager, California Institute of Technology, United States, about 7 hours ago
Details Posted: 27-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Grants Management Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 5056115 Grant Manager Caltech Job Category: Fulltime Regul...
Administrative Assistant, California Institute of Technology, United States, about 7 hours ago
Details Posted: 27-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Administrative/Support Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 5056110 Administrative Assistant Caltech Job Category...
Director Of Benefits And Compensation, Total Rewards, California Institute of Technology, United States, 5 days ago
Details Posted: 22-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Human Resources Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 5041571 Director of Benefits and Compensation, Total Rewards...
Director Of Advancement Analytics, California Institute of Technology, United States, 19 days ago
Details Posted: 08-Feb-24 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Business/Finance Internal Number: 5003101 Director of Advancement Analytics Caltech Job Category:...