Location: Chicago, Illinois
Internal Number: JR23520
Location: Chicago, IL
- Generates publicity materials for both on and off campus audiences including producing and disseminating press releases, and maintaining online event listings. Cultivates student and community audiences through outreach; maintains press contacts; develops and curates internal and public email lists.
- Designs print materials such as quarterly print calendar including layout and graphics using a variety of applications, techniques, and tools. Works with print vendors to deliver packaged, print-ready files.
- Creates digital screen files and email announcements.
- Plans all aspects of event presentation including visitor travel, accommodations, payments, and communication; sets up catering orders; performs front of house management; manages occasional reservation lists or ticketing. Sets up and breaks down events and receptions.
- Communicates effectively with student staff and professional technical staff to ensure smooth running of events.
- Maintains an archive of events material. Maintains a well-structured, easily navigable, chronological system of digital assets.
- Supports large scale events at the FSC, including making special orders, attending events, and responding to guestsâ™ needs.
- Communicates effectively and tactfully with audiences, guests, and faculty.
- Maintains administrative records concerning FSC expenditures, and produce reports and data analysis as requested.
- Processes vendor set-up and payment.
- Tracks program expenditures and process payments.
- Oversees the lending of material, including circulation, distribution, and patron record maintenance.
- Coordinates the cataloging of FSC films using FileMaker Pro; manages video/disc collection and preps for circulation, repair, and inventory; assists patrons with catalog searches and associated work, re-shelves as needed.
- Provides logistical support for room scheduling, financial tracking, publicity, and procurement of curricular and collection materials.
- Communicates ongoing events, projects, and tasks to student desk staff.
- Assists with course materials preparation, especially video/disc reserves and purchasing.
- Responds to and helps coordinate research requests from undergraduates, graduate students, and visiting scholars.
- Instructs students, staff, and faculty in the operation of classroom equipment.
- Oversees scheduling and training of student desk staff and participates in the hiring process (which takes place at least once per year).
- Updates student manual on an annual basis to aid in training and supervision of student staff.
- Communicates with Technical Manager and Assistant Director to ensure all screening materials for the week are accounted for. Responds to any last-minute material needs or emergencies.
- Executes day-to-day event logistics, and other moderately complex assignments with some guidance from others.
- Assists with research, including vendor selection and contract negotiation. Keeps track of all expenses, prepares reports on costs, using existing procedures to solve moderately complex problems as they arise.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelorâ™s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Working in a university or archival setting.
- Planning and staging film and media-related public events.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience with project management work.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- FileMaker Pro experience strongly desired.
- Knowledge of Slack and/or other business communication platforms.
- Knowledge of graphic design programs, and website design.
- Excellent writing skills in English with proofreading and editing accuracy, coupled with the ability to write in the voice of others.
- Skilled at having a positive working relationship with personnel at various levels and from various parts of the world.
- Work effectively in a complex administrative structure.
- Project manager/leader, and effectively train and manage student staff.
- Strategize effectively and have strong analytical skills.
- Skilled at understanding separate cultures, provide services, and meet deadlines to the Department and others outside of the Department.
- Manage financial transactions including effective arithmetic competency.
- Familiarity with a range of computer programs, and ability to learn new systems.
- Organized and efficient, and know how to prioritize.
- Strong attention to detail while also maintaining perspective on the overall needs.
- Meet deadlines, maintain confidentiality, anticipate, and resolve problems; work independently and as part of a team.
- Act independently, decisively, and with good judgment, and keep colleagues and supervisors appropriately informed and involved.
- Cultivate strong, positive working relationships with, treat and provide service equally to a large and varied set of constituents, such as faculty members, individual students and student groups, foreign visitors, and representatives of other administrative units.
- Office environment; writing and typing.
- Some evening and weekend work.
- Some in-town travel.
- Fast-paced environment.
- Lift up to 40 lbs.
- Work at a computer for multiple hours.
- Push carts with up to 50 lbs. of material.
- Periodic travel to other on-campus locations.
- Climbing up to 5 flights of stairs.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter, to include interest in position (required)
- References Contact Information (3)(required)
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.
Connections working at University of Chicago (UC)
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Assistant Director, Student Life And Program Operations, The University of Chicago, United States, 4 days ago
Department Booth Executive MBA - North America About the Department The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest business school in the U.S. and second to none when it c...
Graphic Artist, The University of Chicago, United States, 20 days ago
Department Press Books Marketing Design About the Department Since its origins in 1890 as one of the three main divisions of the University of Chicago, the University of Chicago Press has embraced...
Senior Research Associate, Media Studies , The University of Chicago, United States, about 3 hours ago
The University of Chicago Academic Jobs Senior Research Associate, Media Studies Department of Cinema and Media Studies, Humanities Division Position Type: Faculty Chicago, IL Nov 30, 2023 – Ja...
Grant & Contract Administration, Sr. Analyst, The University of Chicago, United States, about 21 hours ago
Department BSD OBA - Administrator About the Department The Grant & Contract Administration, Sr. Analyst, will perform pre- and post-award administration for the Department of Organismal Biology a...
Director, Creative Services, The University of Chicago, United States, 4 days ago
Department BSD DEV - Communications About the Department Medicine and Biological Sciences Development’s mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by b...
Research Professional, The University of Chicago, United States, 18 days ago
Department PSD Chemistry: Faculty Support About the Department The University of Chicago's Chemistry Department is renowned for its excellence in research, teaching, and fostering an environment t...