Modern Culture and Media stresses creative thinking and critical production, and in doing so brings together aspects of modern culture that are normally separated by departmental structures such as film and media studies, fine art, literature, literary arts, and philosophy. MCM organizes a large number of screenings for its classes, and also hosts lectures, conferences, film and video festivals, and media exhibits. The Event and Screening Assistant helps to organize and service all class screenings and events. For screenings, this involves working with MCM instructors and Archivist to arrange media (DVD, streaming video, videotape, 35 mm and 16 mm film, and other digital content); scheduling and training projectionists; delivering media to screening sites; helping to ensure that screening equipment is in working order; and acting as a liaison between the MCM Archivist and MCM faculty, projectionists, students, and staff. For events, this involves working with faculty hosts to determine event needs (event location, equipment, media); with the Department Manager on financial matters; with the MCM office staff on creating and circulating publicity materials (print and social media); with the Archivist on providing the necessary media; with guests on travel and accommodations; and with various Brown units (catering, facilities, media services). The Assistant also works with the Archivist to perform scheduled inspections of media and enters this information into MCM databases. This position is part-time: 30 hours/week, 10 months/year (mid-August through mid-June). The work schedule is Sunday-Wednesday 12pm-8pm.
- Associate’s degree and a minimum 1 year of relevant or closely related experience, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience in film, video, and digital media programming and curation and/or in event planning.
- Strong organizational, administrative, and time management skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and good command of grammar.
- Proficient with Google online collaborative software (Sheets, Docs, Sites, Forms), Microsoft Word, Excel PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Proficient with social media platforms such as website editing software, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Initiative and judgment to independently problem solve and prioritize.
- Experience in a university setting.
- Previous educational or work experience in both media programming and in event planning.
- Interest in maintaining and continuing to advance computer skills.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
Sunday – Wednesday, 12pm—8pm, 10 months/year (mid-August to mid-June).
Criminal and education verification
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:Event and Screening Assistant
Department:Department of Modern Culture and Media
Time Type:Part time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:30
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Postdoctoral Research Associate In Social And Affective Neuroscience, Brown University, United States, 26 days ago
The Social & Affective Neuroscience Lab at Brown University (Lab Director: Oriel FeldmanHall) invites applications for a post-doctoral research associate (renewable one year appointment, start dat...
Population Studies Postdoc, Brown University, United States, 27 days ago
The Population Studies and Training Center at Brown University is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate with expertise in population-environment research to work with Associate Professor Eliza...
Research Assistant Ii, University of Rhode Island, United States, about 22 hours ago
Posting Details Position Information Posting Number SF00888 Job Title Research Assistant II Position Number 109852 FTE 1.00 FLSA Non-Exempt Position Type Professional Staff Union PTAA - Profession...
Warehouse Operations Assistant, Johnson & Wales University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Apply now Job no:6358 Work type:Full Time Location:Providence, Rhode Island Categories:Staff/Administration, Calendar Year (12-Month), Facilities Summary Provides warehouse, inventory and work ord...