Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- Albany Department of Water
- Albany, NY or Alcove, NY
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- $17.00/hr, 40 hours per week, six-month duration
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- The City of Albany Department of Water and Water Supply is offering two seasonal positions to assist in environmental monitoring and watershed management for the City of Albany’s water supply system. The Water Department currently owns and manages a water system consisting of two surface water supply reservoirs, a finished water reservoir, and approximately 6,000 acres of lands and forests. The seasonal Environmental Science Technicians will assist the Watershed Unit with duties related to water quality monitoring, freshwater ecology, wildlife management, and forestry. This position is ideal for individuals who enjoy working outside, are interested in expanding their technical skill set, and are looking for hands-on natural resource management experience. Potential Assignments: • Water quality sampling of reservoirs and tributaries • Natural resource surveys and management • Watershed, landowner, and farm inspections • Wildlife management • Utilize ESRI ArcGIS software and web applications to inventory, update, and maintain a watershed GIS database • Assist in the development and implementation of management plans • Other various activities needed by the department Preferred Knowledge and Skills: • Interest in natural resource management and/or water supply infrastructure and management • Experience with scientific data collection and standard operating procedures • Microsoft Office, primarily Word and Excel • ESRI ArcGIS (computer and field use) • Technical writing skills • Good reading and comprehension skills
- Minimum Qualifications: 1. An associate's or higher-level degree in environmental science, conservation biology, civil or environmental engineering, construction management, water resource management, natural resource management, sustainable development, geology, physical or natural science or a closely related field; OR 2. Completion of at least 18 credit hours in environmental science, conservation biology, civil or environmental engineering, construction management, water resource management, natural resource management, sustainable development, geology, physical or natural science; OR 3. 1 year experience in an environmental field; OR 4. Combination of any of the 3 requirements above. 5. Possession of a NYS Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. Additional Requirements: • Be fluent in both written and spoken English. • Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States. • Be able to work full-time (32 - 40 hours/week) during the seasonal employment. • Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and to work in adverse weather conditions on water and on land that may be on steep, rocky and uneven terrain. • Able to work independently as well as with a team.
- Contact Person
- Amy Walsh
- Contact Phone
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Assistant Or Associate Professor Multiscale Flow And Transport Modelling Tenure Track, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Are you passionate about environmental processes and modelling? Do you want to make a difference as an innovative researcher and an inspiring teacher? Do you have an excellent track record in flow...
Water Quality Technician Niwa, NIWA, New Zealand, about 15 hours ago
NIWA is a dynamic research organisation and New Zealand's largest and pre-eminent provider of climate, freshwater and marine science. Our core purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustaina...
Associate Research Scientist For Hydro‐Ecological Observatories (Ref.No. Eewrc Ars 22 05), The Cyprus Institute, Cyprus, 27 days ago
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research age...
Part Time Lecturer, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 4 days ago
Nanyang Centre for Public Administration invites applications for part-time teaching of the following course at the intermediate level: Environmental Economics and Sustainable Development Requirem...
Water Quality Ecology Researcher, Teagasc, Ireland, 19 days ago
Duration: Temporary post, the indicative duration of which is 10 months, subject to contract. A panel may be formed from which future similar vacancies may be filled; such a panel will remain act...
Predoctoral Researcher (Pre Doc Mgr), Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA), Spain, 20 days ago
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain Number of positions available: 1 Expected start: September/October 2022 Temporal Position. The ...