Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
Technology Partner Services (TPS) delivers critical and secure cloud, infrastructure, and network services to Harvard University and is seeking a talented Enterprise Storage Architect to help architect the next generation of enterprise storage offerings. The Enterprise Storage Architect is a senior technology individual contributor. They are responsible for leading the development of an enterprise storage strategy (on-prem, AWS, Azure) for HUIT. The role requires strong people skills to both provide technical project leadership for a team of highly skilled engineers, and establish strong relationships with partners across Harvard, business units, and 3rd parties. The Enterprise Storage Architect is a member of the Cloud Consulting and Architecture team and reports to the Principal Cloud Solutions Architect, in the Technology Partner Services (TPS) division of HUIT and will embed with the Enterprise Storage team as a technical expert.
The specific responsibilities for the Enterprise Storage Architect can be divided into the following key areas:
Architecture and Engineering
- Support our client's current storage solutions, and budget, while planning for both on-prem and cloud options moving forward.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the availability and performance of the storage infrastructure.
- Develop and implement storage strategies and procedures to ensure optimal performance and availability, and maintain documentation of storage systems, configurations, and procedures.
- Provide technical expertise in the development of solutions and proposals for customers.
- Lead the resolution of complex storage issues, working with vendors and other technical teams as required.
- Design storage technology and integrating various cloud storage options (AWS and Azure).
- Conduct capacity planning and performance analysis of current landscape of storage workloads and storage pools.
- Architect and implement enterprise scale backup and storage solutions.
Services and Project Delivery
- Lead the development of a comprehensive storage strategy that addresses critical use cases and closes gaps.
- Design and architect cost effective, scalable storage solutions that match the needs of the organization.
- Develop solutions for our biggest infrastructure needs and lead their implementation.
- Ensure infrastructure for HUIT is adequate to support SLAs in our services.
- Identify gaps and needs, current and future as it relates to infrastructure services, and devise plan to address them.
Management, Leadership & Innovation
- Foster a positive and engaging work environment that enables a culture of continuous innovation with a focus on solving business problems through IT solutions.
- Be a visible and active technology leader on the Storage and Platform team, and in HUIT’s TPS organization.
- Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- 5+ years of experience with progressive responsibility in managing complex IT environments and operations.
- 8+ years of experience in designing, implementing, and managing complex storage environments.
- Experience with storage protocols including NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, and FCP, and with backup and recovery solutions, including Cohesity.
- knowledge of NetApp storage technologies including ONTAP, FAS, AFF, and Clustered Data ONTAP, and hybrid cloud storage solutions with AWS, and Azure.
- understanding of virtualization technologies such as VMware and Hyper-V, and networking technologies and protocols.
- organizational skills, communication skills (written, oral and presentation) with a concern for accuracy, details and quality.
- analytical and Problem Solving skills required, and technical skills across the technologies involved in supporting the business units.
- Familiarity with storage virtualization and data management
- Demonstrated ability to navigate issue resolution across a broad set of technologies: infrastructure, applications, networked devices, etc., and ability to build/foster a broad range of business relationships.
- Must be passionate about delivering great service.
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical clients and business partners, and to think strategically while working through tactical short-term priorities.
Certificates and Licenses
Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard University welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request an accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
Work Format Details
HUIT actively supports hybrid work where business needs allow. This position will be based in Cambridge, MA and will require the incumbent to be onsite 2-days per week. Additional travel to campus may be necessary based on business needs and the nature of work. Examples include bi-annual or quarterly Town Halls, critical business meetings or other work events. Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed within one of the Harvard Registered Payroll States, which currently includes Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. Certain visa types and funding sources may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT’s core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
HUIT’s core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards ) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
I1859P IT Enterprise Arch Prof V
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Technology Partner Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
LinkedIn Recruiter Tag (for internal use only)
Infrastructure Storage Engineer (Pa2024/402) , University of Lund, Sweden, about 24 hours ago
Your team The four ICT groups in the Technical Division at MAX IV deliver solutions to the whole MAX IV organisation in the areas of electronics, software, infrastructure, detectors and scientific...
Enterprise Architect, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 13 days ago
Te Ratonga Tautoko Hangarau | Digital Services Located in Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa | New Zealand Full-time 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) Continuing (permanent) position Generous annual le...
Student Assistant (M/F/D) Digital Twin For Condensation Management During Cold Storage Of Fruits, Leibniz, Germany, 13 days ago
The Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy is a pioneer and a driver of bioeconomy research. We create the scientific foundation to transform agricultural, food, industrial ...
Manager, It Operations, Adler University, United States, 18 days ago
Description Under the general guidance of the AVP, Information Technology, the Manager of IT will be accountable for the transformation and management of the University’s infrastructure and servic...
Junior System Administrator, ELETTRA - SINCROTRONE TRIESTE S.C.P.A., Italy, about 3 hours ago
27 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ELETTRA - SINCROTRONE TRIESTE S.C.P.A. Department Informatics Research Field Computer science » Computer systems Researcher Profile Recognised Rese...
Data Architect, UNIVERSITY OF SURREY, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Technology Architecture Location: Guildford Salary: £45,585 to £59,421 Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Tuesday 13 February 2024 Interview Date: To be confirmed Reference: 066...