Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- The Great Basin Institute & USFS
- Stanislaus and Lassen NFs
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- $21 / hour for Techs and $26 / hour for Lead
- Last Date to Apply
- National Forest (NF) Engineering Intern - Road Design (USFS) Job Description: Working cooperatively with the United States Forest Service at Stanislaus & Lassen National Forests, the Great Basin Institute is recruiting to hire 3 Entry Level Engineering Interns (2 stationed at Stanislaus NF and 1 stationed at Lassen NF) and 1 Engineering Lead (stationed at Lassen NF). The overarching objective of this position is to assist under close supervision the Engineering Department in activities to support road reconstruction for timber and vegetation management programs in each respective NF. Interns will aid in a variety of engineering support activities including, but not limited to: Assist senior level engineer with design reviews for various road and transportation facility related projects. Assist Contracting Officer Representative with performing field inspections duties for ongoing construction projects. Perform field surveys on forest roads to gather design information. Assist senior level engineers with the development of plans, specifications, and other contract documents for road reconstruction projects. Attend forest-wide project meetings, attend and satisfactorily complete assigned training and instructional tasks. May perform project planning and management tasks such as administrative duties, Schematic and blueprint reading, data cleanup and audits, organize digital and hard copy engineering related files. Utilize Avenza Maps to produce geographical data indicating required road maintenance, construction, and reconstruction tasks. Perform engineering related research such material and equipment research based on project need and obtain quotes from vendors. Simple engineering design such as take-off estimates, cost estimating, product identification, and production of drawing and specifications. Contract Timeline: Stanislaus NF: Technician (2 positions) - June 12th to September 2023 Lassen NF: Technician (1 position) - May 22 to November 3, 2023 Lassen NF: Lead (1 position) - May 22 to November 3, 2023 Location Details (1 of 2): The Stanislaus National Forest encompasses nearly 900,000 acres on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California. Elevation ranges from 1,500 to 11,000 feet. Located between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park, recreation opportunities abound within and around the Forest. The San Francisco Bay area is located 3 hours to the west. Location Details (2 of 2): Lassen National Forest is located about 80 miles (130 km) east of Red Bluff, California. It is generally bounded by Sierra Nevada mountain range to the south, the Modoc Plateau to the east and California's Central Valley to the west. The forest is in parts of Lassen, Shasta, Tehama, Plumas, and Butte counties. Forest headquarters is located in Susanville, California. The forest was formed in 1905 when it was named one of the National Forest Reserves, which evolved into the National Forest system. The forest was first named after Lassen Peak, a volcano in the southernmost portion of the Cascade Range volcanoes and the unit surrounds Lassen Volcanic National Park. The Lassen has two major river systems as well as many lakes, cinder cones and lava flows. The forest contains 92,000 acres of old growth forest and is a productive timber unit which includes mixed conifer Coast Douglas-fir, Ponderosa Pine, and White Fir, Jeffrey Pine forests, Red Fir, and Lodgepole Pine. The Lassen NF offers an abundance of outdoor activities including fishing, boating, hiking, biking, skiing and climbing. Compensation and Benefits: Stanislaus NF: Technician (2 positions) - $15-20 per hour (40 hours/week) Lassen NF: Technician (1 position) - $21 per hour (40 hours/week) Lassen NF: Lead (1 position) - $26 per hour (40 hours/week) For all positions: Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost. Housing provided. Uniform reimbursements.
- Course work toward a degree or a minimum of two years of progress towards a degree in Environmental, Civil or Chemical Engineering; Prior exposure to and knowledge of general field methodologies and data collection techniques; Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Word; A proven ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to a diverse audience including, co-workers and stakeholders; Should be self-motivated with an expressed desire to learn and ability to maintain a positive attitude; Ability to work both within a team setting and independently; Possess a clean, state-issued driver’s license and exhibit prior experience or a willingness to learn how to drive safely in an off-road setting.
- Contact Person
- GBI Basin and Range Program Team
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Commercialisation Analyst Scion, Scion, New Zealand, 1 day ago
Support commercialisation of new products, processes and technologies Full time permanent position in an exciting growth sector Based in Rotorua on the edge of the world famous Whakarewarewa fores...
Research Engineer In Forest Remote Sensing, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 8 hours ago
The Department of Forest Resource Management conducts education and research in the areas of forest planning, forest remote sensing, forest inventory and sampling, forest mathematical statistics a...
It Business Analyst Scion, Scion, New Zealand, 1 day ago
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Information Technology Team. We are looking for a talented and motivated individual with solid IT Business Analyst skills and experience interested in w...
Molecular Microbiology Laboratory Assistant Scion, Scion, New Zealand, 1 day ago
About Scion Scion is a Crown Research Institute that specialises in scientific research and technology development for the forestry, wood products, wood-derived materials, and other biomaterial se...
Linux And Science Systems Engineer Scion, Scion, New Zealand, 1 day ago
Permanent - Full Time Based in Rotorua We have an exciting opportunity to join our Information Technology Team. We are looking for a talented computing engineer who is up for the challenge of work...
Assistant Professor In » Wood Formation And Diversity « , Technische Universität München, Germany, about 9 hours ago
13.03.2023, Professuren The Technical University of Munich (TUM) invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in » Wood Formation and Diversity « to begin as soon as possible. The ...