The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
Supervises the Emergency Services Unit personnel on a daily basis. Acts as the Incident Commander in response to emergency and critical incidents. This position is responsible to ensure that equipment, materials, and protective systems are operational and tested in accordance with established procedures. Maintains the administrative documentation required to meet DOE and PPPL Policies, Plans and Standards.
- Responsibilities 35% : Supervises the operation of the assigned ESU platoon ensuring:
- Compliance with Laboratory and Division policies and procedures.
- Event reporting is completed based on DOE and PPPL directives and required criteria.
- Security, fire protection/response, emergency medical services, and special assignments are completed in accordance with SPD procedures.
- Shift staffing and required posts are filled in compliance with SPD procedures.
- Shift personnel are trained and qualified to meet the responsibilities of their assigned position.
- Platoon time reporting is reviewed and verified, and overtime roster is maintained operations equipment is tested and ready for use and where required deficiencies are documented.
- Inspections and tests for fire detection and suppression systems are completed and deficiencies documented.
- Conduct of preliminary investigation of security, fire, medical and/or other incidents.
- The reporting of ES&H problems, violations or concerns to the appropriate individual.
- Responsible for identifying and implementing lessons learned and performance improvement strategies to ensure office proficiency.
- Make recommendations for platoon’s performance appraisals.
- Administration 30%
- investigative reports
- platoon training records
- daily logs
- develop and maintain pre-fire plans
- equipment and apparatus inspection and tests
- vehicle maintenance records
- post, overtime and overtime tracking logs
- Emergency Preparedness 30%
- Conducts shift drills and monitors officer proficiency.
- Acts as on-scene Incident Commander during on-site emergencies.
- Coordinates with the managers to assess and manage emergencies.
- Assesses emergencies with respect to ERO and EOC activation, and coordinates response with ERO emergency Director and SPD Head.
- Coordinates the activities of Mutual Aid responses.
- Prepares and/or reviews emergency incident reports.
- Completes special projects and tasks as assigned by management 5%
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of five years experience within an Emergency Services Unit.
- Qualified as a Driver Operator.
- Three-years of supervisory experience in an emergency services, law-enforcement, or similar environment.
- Experience evaluating and assessing emergency response and performance
- Successfully complete initial training and subsequent refresher to maintain the following certifications.
- Ability to effectively work with others to complete goals and objectives, including in stressful environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Incident Management Level I (ICS 200)
- Incident Management Level I (ICS 400)
- NIMS 700/800
- NJ (or national) Emergency Medical Technician
- Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operations
- Confined Space Rescue Awareness & Operations
- NFPA Fire and Emergency Services Instructor Level I
- NFPA Incident Safety Officer
- Certified by the NJ Security Officer Registration Act (SORA) or equivalent
- Completion of CUPSA advanced security training or equivalent
- Fire Code Enforcement & Prevention Course
- Princeton University Management Development Program (preferred)
- Haz Mat on Scene Commander (preferred)
- NFPA 1021 Professional Officer (preferred)
- Incident Management Level I (ICS 300 & 400) (preferred)
Certificates and Licenses:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Valid driver’s license
- Must pass the initial and annual physical (agility) test and maintain appropriate fitness levels required for security and emergency response activities.
- Must pass OMO annual physical assessment.
- May be required to use force, in accordance with PPPL Policy.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by contacting PPPL's Office of Human Resources at Onboarding@pppl.gov .
Princeton University-Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University-PPPL job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University-PPPL. PPPL is an E-Verify employer. All PPPL staff must be able to demonstrate their legal right to work in the United States.
PPPL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory managed by Princeton University. The DOE prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Princeton University-PPPL is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy .
Go to Princeton University careers site.
Fire Inspector Nfpa 25, Rutgers University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Fire Inspector NFPA-25 Job Category Staff & Executive - Facilities/Environmental/Maintenance Department IPO-Emergency Services Overview The Division of I...
Emergency Medical Technician, Rutgers University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Emergency Medical Technician Job Category AFSCME Local 888 Department IPO-Emergency Services Overview Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a l...
Kitchen Chef/Staff, Rutgers University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Kitchen Chef/Staff Posting Number 21TM0197 Department SEBS - 4-H Camp Overview Posting Summary Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking Ki...
Security Officer/Parking Enforcement (Multiple Vacancies), Rutgers University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Security Officer/Parking Enforcement (multiple vacancies) Job Category AFSCME Local 888 Department Rutgers Police - Camden Overview Rutgers University–Ca...
Facility Mechanic, Rutgers University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Facility Mechanic Job Category Staff & Executive - Facilities/Environmental/Maintenance Department Physical Plant - Nwk Overview New Jersey’s academic he...
Lecturer, Princeton University, United States, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Operations Research and Financial Engineering at Princeton University has occasional openings for part-time or full time lecturers to teach or co-teach department courses. Indiv...