|Job Title||Electrochemistry Postdoc|
|Location||Los Alamos, NM, US|
|Organization Name||MPA-11/Materials Chemistry|
What You Will Do
The Materials Synthesis and Integrated Devices Group (MPA-11) is seeking postdoctoral candidates to work on a range of fundamental and applied research projects in polymer electrolyte fuel cells and flow batteries. Research opportunities include fuel cell electrocatalysis, fuel cell durability, PEM fuel cell water management, operation and testing of fuel cells and flow batteries, synthesis/characterization of novel fuel cell and flow battery materials, including catalysts, supports, electrolytes and membranes.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
· Demonstrated strong background in electrochemistry, electrochemical testing, and data interpretation;
· Excellent publication record in the field of required expertise;
· Very good command of spoken and written English; very good communication skills;
· Ability to develop and implement new research ideas, and to design and perform advanced experiments;
· Strong motivation and ability to work independently;
· Must also be able to work effectively as a part of a team in multi-disciplinary environment and interact effectively with a variety of research, development, and commercial organizations.
· Experience in polymer electrolyte fuel cells or flow batteries (characterization of fuel cell/flow battery materials, fuel cell/flow battery assembly and testing);
· Experience in the synthesis of nanostructured carbon-based materials, non-precious metal catalysts, or similar materials;
· Familiarity with SEM, TEM, BET, XRD, XPS, XRF, NMR, Raman, FTIR, X-ray absorption; spectroscopy and other materials characterization techniques;
· Experience in organic synthesis, polymer functionalization/modification, polymer blending/composite, and ionomer dispersion preparation;
· Experience in mathematical modeling;
· Knowledge of electronics and of typical laboratory test instruments;
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
· Demonstrated ability to plan and organize assignments so that schedules are met on time;
Education: Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or a related field completed within the last five years or soon to be completed is required.
Notes to Applicants: Please send a cover letter addressing how you meet the required and desired skills when applying for the position. A current C.V. with the minimum following information/sections is also required: Educational background, degree dates, GPA with scale; Work experience; Competitive honors; Relevant extracurricular activities; Peer-Reviewed Publications; Non-peer-reviewed Publications; References. Only complete applications with a cover letter and C.V. will be considered. References will not be contacted without permission from the applicant. For additional technical inquiries, contact Rangachary Mukundan (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Candidates may be considered for a Director's Fellowship and outstanding candidates may be considered for the prestigious Marie Curie, Richard P. Feynman, J. Robert Oppenheimer, or Frederick Reines Fellowships.
For general information to go to Postdoc Program .
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
The Materials Synthesis and Integrated Devices group (MPA-11), conducts basic and applied research in areas related to applied energy programs and a variety of problems relevant to the weapons program. Our goal is to provide innovative and creative solutions needed to solve technical problems across the Laboratory’s missions, including energy security, stockpile stewardship, and global threat reduction.