Requisition Id 2191
The Nuclear Security Advanced Technologies (NSAT) Group within the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) seeks applications for an electro-motive design engineer. The Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) is a leader in research, development, and deployment of technology that enhances nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards, reduces threats to nuclear material at risk, and expands the national capabilities in radiation detection and nuclear forensics.
One of the major focus areas of the NSAT group is the development of advanced approaches to operation, characterization, and analysis of fuel cycle processes. The group specializes in the application of chemical and engineering principles supporting the characterization of processes and related materials. The NSAT group collaborates and works with staff from other groups within NND and ORNL to assure the full expertise of fuel cycle processes are applied to meet sponsor needs.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
The successful candidate will lead teams in the design and analysis of custom motors for complex precision systems. The successful applicant will interface directly with high profile customers in many different focus areas to understand their application needs and design the optimal motor for their requirements. The environment is fast-paced and dynamic, and our team is focused on solving challenging motor and motion control problems for national security science challenges. Opportunities for development, growth and increased responsibilities will be available for high impact performers.
The successful candidate will be required to effectively interact with various personnel, both within and outside of ORNL. The candidate is expected to be able to work in a team environment with co-workers and management as well as independently, to fully document work performed in the forms of drawings and procedures. The successful candidate will interface with principal investigators, management, engineers, fabricators, modelers and test campaign personnel.
The successful candidate must possess the following essential skills:
- Technical expert in the electromagnetic development of custom high-performance electric motors
- Dynamic and thermal performance analysis for magnetic designs
- Direct technical interface for customers
- Joint development of projects with collaborative engineering team members
- Development of motor test procedures, methods, systems and infrastructure
- Interfacing with suppliers on the manufacture of motor components
- Cross-functional collaboration with prototype build group and production group
- PhD, MS, or BS or MS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or similar discipline
- 5+ years’ work experience in motor design or electrical machines
- Experience and familiarity with Finite Element Analysis, specifically ANSYS Maxwell and RMxprt
- Experience and familiarity with electro-magnetics
- Experience with 3 phase power systems
- Experience with building of prototype components
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Strong overall knowledge base of mechatronics, electro-magnetics, and motors
- Strong analytical background driven by a passion for complex modeling and analysis
- Motivated self-starter who is results oriented and deadline driven
- Comfortable shifting from a hands-on contributor to a team lead role as needs dictate
- Ability to work with internal resources and external suppliers
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Must be able to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Must be able to work effectively within a team environment
- Ability and/or desire to lead engineering projects and/or teams of engineers
- DOE “Q” clearance
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position is a full-time staff position.
Technical questions should be directed to Dr. John Langford, 865-574-9524
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Environmental Informatics Software Engineer, American Geophysical Union, United States, 5 days ago
Purpose This position primarily supports the ORNL Distributed Active Archive Center for Biogeochemical Dynamics (ORNL DAAC), as well as collaboration with other projects in the ORNL Climate Chang...
Senior Equipment Operator Rec Forest Resource Research & Education Center, University of Tennessee, United States, about 18 hours ago
Senior Equipment Operator - Rec-Forest Resource Research & Education Center - 190000028H Description Regular Full-time, Pay Grade 32 Senior Equipment Operator (Oliver Springs, Tennessee) This posi...