Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- $560.71 bimonthly living allowance
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. eeCorps members provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement all across the country. This position will be located at Catamount Institute in Colorado Springs. Catamount Institute’s mission is to connect kids to the outdoors through science education and adventure learning. Their programs are designed to use the natural curiosity of the child to spark a love for life-long learning. Through their state-recognized youth programs, they work to make environmental education accessible to all, regardless of socioeconomic status, and strive to create environmental leaders who will contribute to the next generation of stewards. Service Position Summary: The AmeriCorps Member will directly support the Executive Director and School Programs Director by building programmatic capacity for the organization by conducting standard based environmental programs for K -12 including field trips, at school programs, after school programs and weekend one time public experiences with a team of staff and volunteers. Additional responsibilities include developing program materials, marketing and fundraising plans, and representing and presenting at related community events and conferences. Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities): eeCorps members engage with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps and Catamount Institute’s goals. These duties include: ● Facilitate school programs including field trips, at school programs, after school programs and weekend one time public experiences with a team of staff and volunteers ● Prepare marketing plans for existing programs which include timelines and contacts ● Develop newsletters for field trips and other programs ● Assist with photography and videography portfolio ● Develop a comprehensive volunteer recruitment plan ● Collaborate with other Catamount Institute staff to evaluate and report on youth programs ● Assist in the acquisition and inventory of program resources, including, but not limited to, volunteers, equipment, supplies, specimens, and books ● Regularly meet with the School Programs Director and Executive Director to review educational programs ● Collaborate with staff to develop annual marketing, partnership, funding, and public relations plans for programs ● Provide program descriptions and information for publications and website to Marketing and Communication staff ● Track progress and collect evaluation data for the program’s performance measures ● Attend all eeCorps AmeriCorps trainings and orientations ● Complete National Days of Service projects as required by the eeCorps program ● Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines ● Some local and out of town travel required to annual conferences Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities): Additional tasks include: ● Attend trainings and seminars as directed to maintain or attain relevant knowledge and certifications needed to support the educational department ● Represent and present at relevant community programs, events, and conferences Term of Service: This is a half-time national and community service position requiring a minimum of 900 hours during the term (approximately 40 hours/week). The position begins January 4, 2022 and ends July 29, 2022. Flexible hours are required, including occasional evening and weekend commitments. Members may be required to serve on Days of Service that take place on certain national holidays throughout the year. Training and Support Provided: eeCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable, approved training and professional development. Members will be supervised and supported by Beth Austin, School Programs Director, as well as by Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator. The 2021-22 cohort of eeCorps members serving throughout the region will act as additional resources and support for each other. Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at Catamount Institute (740 W. Caramillo St. Colorado Springs, CO. 80907), and may involve service (indoor and/or outdoor) at other locations in the surrounding areas. Benefits: Half-time eeCorps members receive: ● A living allowance of $560.71 distributed twice per month up to a maximum of $7,850 for the duration of their service term. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed twice per month by direct deposit to the member’s bank account. ● An education award of $3,172.50 upon successful completion of term of service. ● It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member. ● Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings and days of service ● Ability to obtain CAEE’s nationally-recognized Professional Environmental Educator Certification ● Ability to participate in local Colorado nonprofit roundtables and training and Regional EE Leadership Councils ● Non-tangible benefits including extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need. Diversity and Equal Opportunity: The Catamount Institute provides equal opportunity for staff and all qualified participants and does not discriminate in providing services to any individual on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, veteran status, or any other protected status. The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) recognizes the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education. CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
- Physical, Emotional, and intellectual Demands: ● Patience required, as the member will be serving with children ● Ability to lift 30 pounds ● Ability to work in an outdoor setting in varying weather conditions for several hours at a time Desired Qualifications: ● First Aid/CPR certified (re/certification costs are provided) ● Proficient in Microsoft Office ● Previous experience working with school-aged children a plus ● Adaptable and energetic, quick learner under new circumstances ● Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change ● Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate ● Passion for diversity and inclusion ● High School Diploma or GED required, college graduate preferred ● Ability to pass criminal history check ● Reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance ● U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required ● Colorado residents are encouraged to apply To Apply: If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Erin Dreps, AmeriCorps Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also attach a list of three (3) references, and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length. Include “AmeriCorps Catamount Application” in the subject line, and combine all application materials into a single PDF.
- Contact Person
- Erin Dreps
- Contact Phone
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Coordinator Of Sports & Youth Programs, University of Colorado, United States, about 19 hours ago
Coordinator of Sports & Youth Programs - 23839 University Staff Description The Coordinator of Sports and Youth Programs assists with the administration and supervision of comprehensive Sports and...
Instructor Art History, University of Colorado, United States, about 19 hours ago
Instructor - Art History - 22399 Faculty Description The Art History Program within the Department of Visual and Performing Arts invites applications for a full-time, in-person instructor. We ar...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Leadership, Research And Foundations, University of Colorado, United States, 7 days ago
Assistant or Associate Professor - Leadership, Research and Foundations - 23437 Faculty Description The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) invites applications for an Assistant or Ass...
Facilities Operations Coordinator, University of Colorado, United States, about 19 hours ago
Facilities Operations Coordinator - 23849 University Staff Description In coordination with the Manager of Facility Operations and Auxiliary Shared Services, the Program Coordinator of Facility Op...
Health Care Office Manager, University of Colorado, United States, about 19 hours ago
Health Care Office Manager - 23707 University Staff Description The Primary Care Clinic, in conjunction with the Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the U...
Associate Director Of Parking & Transportation Services, University of Colorado, United States, about 18 hours ago
Associate Director of Parking & Transportation Services - 23412 University Staff Description The UCCS Parking and Transportation Services Department is searching for a highly motivated individual...