Los Alamos National Laboratory is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Earth and Environmental Sciences Division (EES) at LANL is seeking a dynamic, innovative deputy division leader to share in the responsibility for the scientific leadership, strategic planning, management and operations for a dedicated, diverse, multi-disciplinary team of more than 200 researchers and staff working on a portfolio with an annual budget exceeding $100M. EES is a trusted resource providing world-class scientific solutions and analyses in national-security earth science, sustainable energy, earth-system dynamics and climate change impacts.
You will provide executive-level leadership for teams that are involved in both discovery science and mission-focused applications to support decisions of national importance. The work in EES includes experimental laboratory studies with state-of-the-art analytical equipment, global field deployments of monitoring equipment, data analysis of both big and sparse data sets and high-performance simulation on leadership-class computers.
You will have direct responsibility for significant elements of the technical leadership of the Division, and represent the Division and Directorate in institutional-level science and program planning. The selected individual will help to lead the management team, enabling program execution and technical excellence while meeting goals in operations, business stewardship and human resource management. Duties will also involve interaction with DOE sponsors such as NNSA, Office of Science, Applied Energy offices, Nuclear Energy and other agencies, both directly and through LANL program offices.
- Ph.D. in a related computer science or engineering field and five years of expert-level experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience with an emphasis in scientific leadership and management of a research organization with complex operations
- Record of leadership in technical organizations. Examples include line and/or program leadership; supervision, mentoring and development of assigned employees; creation and retention of a diverse and inclusive workforce; conflict resolution; operational oversight and compliance; and application of sound business practices and judgment
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation to identify challenges and opportunities, foster science, strengthen an organization, build technical capability and improve technical infrastructure and facilities
- Experience in program development; acquiring funding for teams; and representing programs internally and externally to sponsors, stakeholders and/or review boards
- A record of successful scientific research or accomplishments in an area of Earth and Environmental Sciences Division-relevant or national security-relevant activities as evidenced by publications, citations, presentations, grants or programmatic support and/or leadership of large technical projects
- Experience in developing collaborations, teamwork, building consensus and effective communication with staff, sponsors and stakeholders
- Ability to obtain DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship)
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
For full consideration, applicants must submit a curriculum vitae (CV) and a comprehensive cover letter that addresses the job requirements listed above and outlines your vision for this position.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC82465:
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Earth System Modeling Scientist (Scientist 2), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Title Earth-System Modeling Scientist (Scientist 2) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name CCS-2/Computational Physics & Methods Minimum Salary 91800 Maximum Salary 151400 What You Will...
Administrative Assistant 4, Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Title Administrative Assistant 4 Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name EPC-WMP/ Waste Management Programs Minimum Salary 52200 Maximum Salary 80800 What You Will Do Use your administra...
Continuity Program Manager (Technical Program Manager 4), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, 26 days ago
Job Title Continuity Program Manager (Technical Program Manager 4) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name EM-DIVOFF/Emergency Management Division Office Minimum Salary 132500 Maximum Salary...
Deputy Division Leader (Environmental Manager 5), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Title Deputy Division Leader (Environmental Manager 5) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name EPC-DO/Environmental Protection & Compliance Division Minimum Salary 132500 Maximum Salary ...
Travel Manager (Accounting Manager 3), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Title Travel Manager (Accounting Manager 3) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name CNTL-DISB/Disbursements & Travel Minimum Salary 101000 Maximum Salary 168600 What You Will Do The Trav...
It Project Management Group Leader (It Manager 4), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, 8 days ago
Job Title IT Project Management Group Leader (IT Manager 4) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name SI-DO/ Service Innovation Division Minimum Salary 132500 Maximum Salary 229900 What You W...