The Director of Medical Physics and Radiation Safety works under the direction of the Executive Director and supports the administrative, operational and staffing needs of both the Medical Physicist and the Health Physicist/Radiation Safety programs. This position serves as the Radiation Safety Officer and is responsible for providing services on both campuses while remaining flexible in assignments across all areas and departments served by EHS. The specific duties for this position include, but are not limited to; assigning duties to staff members emphasizing attention to license conditions and compliance issues, attending to all inquiries and concerns by Principal Investigators and other stakeholders, participating and conducting instrumentation and radiation safety training, performing and supervising instrument quality assurance and calibrations of research and clinical instrumentation, creating SOPs and developing QC programs, and responding to radiological emergencies.
- Join a fast-paced work environment providing service across all university and hospital operations
- Be part of a diverse EHS team with over 500 years of combined experience across all EHS disciplines
- Collaboratively work with other departments to ensure compliance with the Medical Broad Scope Radioactive Materials License
- Have the benefits of working within a large university, which includes generous medical, dental, retirement, and tuition remission benefits. See link to tuition remission information. https://www.bu.edu/hr/learningbu/tuition-remission/
- Direct medical physics and radiation safety staff to manage a comprehensive and compliant medical physics and radiation safety program at Boston University and Boston Medical Center
- Serve as the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and manage all aspects of the Medical Broad Scope Radioactive Materials License and the radiation safety program for Boston University and Boston Medical Center, including regulatory inspections
- Review IRB submissions and new research protocols
- Conduct and direct ALARA investigations, risk assessments and hazard calculations
- Collect and perform qualitative and quantitative sample analysis for beta and gamma radio-nuclides, using various analytical detection /counting equipment; Perform spectroscopy analysis and air sampling for radioactive particles
- Responsible for the radioactive material shipping program
- Direct radiological surveys
- Develop and review policies, procedures, programs, and work instructions. Create SOPs and develop survey, training, and instrument QC programs
- B.A./B.S. in a related field, Master’s preferred
- 8+ years of direct experience
- Certification by American Board of Health Physics or equivalent
- Meets the requirements listed in 105 CMR 120.524 to be identified as Radiation Safety Officer on a Medical Broad Scope License
- Experience in managing radiation safety staff
- Experience in managing a Medical Broad Scope Radioactive Materials License
- OSHA HAZWOPER 24-hour Certification or ability to obtain
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty will need to be in compliance with Boston University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement within 30 days of date of hire. You must upload your vaccine documentation or request a medical or religious exemption (instructions ). For further information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please visit the COVID-19 Resources site.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Irradiation Facilities Engineer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 15 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. IRRADIATION FACILITIES ENGINEER, Nuclear Reactor Laboratory (MIT-NRL), to act as a key member of t...
Industrial Hygiene Program (Ihp) Officer, Ehs, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 14 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE PROGRAM (IHP) OFFICER, Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Office,to support I...
Safety Officer, Harvard University Campus Services, United States, 29 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: USA - MA - Cambridge Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 62485BR Job Summary This position...
Senior Clinical Engineer, MGH Institute of Health Professions, United States, 24 days ago
Details Posted: 14-May-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Unpaid Categories: Education/Training Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 3243201-3499_1683925060 General Summary/Overview State...
Senior Clinical Engineer, MGH Institute of Health Professions, United States, 17 days ago
Details Posted: 22-May-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Unpaid Categories: Education/Training Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 3243201-3499_1684580343 General Summary/Overview State...
Senior Clinical Engineer, MGH Institute of Health Professions, United States, 9 days ago
Details Posted: 29-May-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Unpaid Categories: Education/Training Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 3243201-3499_1685204801 General Summary/Overview State...