Harvard University Information Technology
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
The Director of Medical Information Systems is responsible for the outreach, planning, delivery, and support of information technology related to the delivery of health and medical services at Harvard University, which are primarily delivered by Harvard University Health Services (HUHS). The role provides strategic leadership for these systems by engaging stakeholders from HUHS to define long-term roadmaps and near-term priorities to meet the evolving needs of the institution. The Director reports to the Senior Director of Campus Services IT, in the Administrative Technology Services (ATS) division of Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT).
The specific responsibilities for the Director of Medical Information Systems are as follows:
Account and Relationship Management
- Responsible for establishing a trusted partner relationship with the leadership of HUHS.
- Serves on the HUHS leadership team with a dotted line to the HUHS Senior Director of Administration and Finance
- Accountable for the overall delivery of IT services to HUHS, and ensuring HUHS specific needs are understood by the broader HUIT.
Strategy and Planning
- Responsible for developing and evolving the multi-year roadmap of IT projects to support the needs of HUHS, in collaboration with HUHS leadership
- Lead the yearly project line-up as part of the budget process, and informing the budget process to support these projects.
- Leads regular (quarterly, twice yearly, etc.) reviews with HUHS leadership to review the multi-year roadmap.
- Accountable for the delivery of all IT projects for HUHS, on time and on budget.
- Ensures all aspects necessary to the successful delivery of of IT projects are addressed.
Operations and Service Levels
- Leads the HUIT team directly involved in supporting HUHS to meet the day-to-day operational needs of HUHS with satisfactory levels of service, and minimal interruptions or negative impact to HUHS operations.
- Ensure the adoption and use of HUIT standard tools to support IT operations (e.g. ServiceNow)
Leadership & Innovation
- Provides thought leadership and vision on the technologies supporting HUHS.
- Ensures all aspects of information security and regulatory compliance requirements are met in the HUHS technology environment.
- Ensures performance is actively managed across the team on both ends of the performance: support growth and development of good performers, ensure performance issues are communicated, actively addressed and corrected in a timely matter.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Direct and oversee development of technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Lead decision-making on major project costs, timetable, resources and technologies
- Lead long term strategic planning and actively contribute to enterprise wide initiatives
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- 10+ years of experience with progressive responsibility of managing complex IT environments.
- 5+ years direct experience implementing or supporting medical systems, including Electronic Medical Records (EMR) supporting a clinic or a small hospital.
- Ability to effectively interact with patients, staff, clinicians, and executive leaders.
- Strong commitment to outstanding customer service including demonstrated success in managing 24x7x365 support in a government regulated environment.
- Proven experience managing, coaching and developing a team of IT professionals.
- Ability to work well under stress and manage conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to build/foster a broad range of business relationships.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills (written, oral and presentation) with a concern for accuracy, details and quality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical clients and business partners
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving skills.
- Strong technical skills across the technologies involved in supporting HUHS.
- Experience in higher education information technology.
- Experience managing diverse software portfolios including commercial and custom applications
- Executive level written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Collaborative leadership style with ability to convert strategic goals into actionable objectives
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department’s current presence on campus.
Harvard is an on-campus community and all positions are based in Massachusetts. We currently expect that employees in Department will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Effective October 1st, as a condition of continued employment, all work must be performed in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT).
HUIT is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Any remote scheduling of your work, agreed to by your supervisor, will need to be in a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will may discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard’s Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies .
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT’s core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience a sense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard’s Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard's commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA - MA - Cambridge
I0760M Applications Mgt VI
Administrative Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Professor Of Innovation And Operations Management, Babson College, United States, about 22 hours ago
BABSON COLLEGE invites applications for a full-time, tenure track position as Assistant Professor of Innovation and Operations Management beginning in fall 2022. While our expectation is to appoin...
Preceptor In Physics, Department of Physics, United States, 12 days ago
Position ID:Harvard -Department of Physics -PRECEPTOR2201 [#19932] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, United States [map ] Su...
Tenure Track Professor In Cryosphere Studies, Harvard University, Earth and Planetary Sciences, United States, 12 days ago
The Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences (EPS) invites applications for an open faculty position in any area of cryosphere studies, including the development and application of observational p...
Multimedia Support Specialist Tufts Technology Services , Tufts, United States, about 1 hour ago
Multimedia Support Specialist - Tufts Technology Services - (21001824) Description This position is located on our Boston Campus with hours of 11:00 am to 8:00 pm Department Summary: Tufts Techno...
It Manager, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 24 hours ago
Working at MIT offers opportunities, an environment, a culture – and benefits – that just aren’t found together anywhere else. If you’re curious, motivated, want to be part of a unique community, ...
Senior Associate Director Of Operations, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 13 hours ago
General Summary: The Senior Associate Director of Operations will direct and manage all technical business processes and functions of the Financial Aid Services (FAS) office. The incumbent will d...