The Director of Human Resources develops, guides, and performs the daily administration, management development, implementation and evaluation of ongoing HR policies, procedures, programs, functions, and human resource staff activities for the institution. The major areas directed are: keeping abreast of and in compliance with regulatory and employment legislation concerns, policy development and documentation, payroll processing and HRIS management, recruiting and staffing, employee onboarding and off-boarding, compensation and benefits administration, employee safety, welfare, relations, and performance management for 200+ FTE’s and over 300 part time student workers. The staff that report to the Director are one full-time Human Resources Generalist and one part-time Generalist. The Director reports to the Chief Operating Officer. All employees must understand the mission of Catholic higher education and be committed to supporting the core values, mission, goals and objectives of Ave Maria University as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Eccleisiae .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers various human resources plans and procedures for the institution’s personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies, procedures, forms, job descriptions, and employee handbook updates
- Oversees the completion of job postings, offer letters, and the receipt of all new hires’ completed forms and identification to onboard new faculty and staff
- Ensures that background checks are ordered, received, and reviewed on all faculty and staff new hires and volunteers
- Serve as a backup to the HR Generalist to assist when needed with new employee orientation meetings to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions, employment policies, and use of the HRIS to view pay statements, request time off, etc.
- Conducts employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling, exit interviews, prepares exit documents, enters termination, calculation of final pay and creates COBRA event;
- Responsible for submission and ongoing administration of worker’s compensation claims, preparation of reports requested by auditor for annual worker’s compensation audit, premium invoice review and payments
- Responsible for submission and administration of short-term and long-term disability claims and ensuring that third party sick pay is entered correctly in HRIS
- Responsible for administration of unemployment claims
- Acts as a liaison with immigration legal counsel to manage all the administrative requirements in order for the university to sponsor certain faculty or staff for work visas
- Assists vice presidents or department supervisors as requested in the investigation, resolution, and documentation of employee relations problems or performance coaching meetings. Offers knowledge and assists with the development of appropriate steps for resolution
- Prepares, disseminates, collects, tracks, and files annual staff performance reviews
- Performs employment verifications and reference checks received
- Responsible for the selection, implementation, configuration, functionality, training and ongoing use of the human resource information/payroll system to comply with ACA tracking and reporting and 1095-C returns. Annual setup of all benefit plans with their applicable plan data and premiums allocated to employee and employer, set up annual benefit plan open enrollment within ADP WorkForceNow for employee self-service, and work with carrier connection representatives on the electronic transmittal of each plan’s open enrollment election files
- Reviews and approves electronic time and attendance records, time off requests, download biweekly retirement plan export file, ensure retirement calculations for employer matching contribution are set up and calculating correctly, and the setup of hours, earnings, and deduction codes, and accumulators
- Knowledge of use of reporting module to create custom and standard reports from HRIS to respond to requests for information from auditors, department heads, government agencies, benefits brokers, SACS, IPEDS, etc.
- Creates numerous custom reports in order to complete the annual Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey Report by the deadline
- Generates payroll reports as requested by auditors for annual business office audit, financial aid audit, retirement plan audit, worker’s compensation audit, and as requested by other University department managers
- Prepares annual Operational Assessment Report for Institutional Effectiveness in order to plan, implement, and evaluate the H.R. department goals
- Assists in the talent recruitment process for all faculty and staff
- Ensures the most current employment compliance posters are available & posted at all buildings
- Reviews all human resources related invoices for accuracy and provide to business office administrative assistant to prepare check requisitions for approval signatures and routing to accounts payable
- Assists benefits broker with annual marketing of benefit plans by providing census data, reviewing claims/stop loss utilization history, benefit plan designs and rate proposals
- Works with CFO and President to determine selection of plans to be offered, and allocation of premium rates between employees and employer; facilitating the finalization of contracts
- Sets up plans and rate structures within Benefits section of HRIS system to ensure that correct benefit plans are available for open enrollments, and that benefit enrollments flow to payroll with proper biweekly deduction amounts
- Responsible for organizing, communicating, and participating in the annual open enrollment process.
- Oversees and assists the HR Generalist as needed with the education of new hires on the benefit plans, and oversight of timely new hire enrollments
- Reviews, audits and notes adjustments on monthly benefit premium invoices to ensure accuracy prior to providing to assistant for check request preparation, and look for adjustment credits on following invoice
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws pertaining to a Section 125 Cafeteria plan and management of special enrollment rights due to qualifying family status changes. Responsible to ensure that terminations and overage dependents qualifying events are transmitted to the COBRA administrator on the weekly file feed and that they send out election packets. Review monthly COBRA reports for premiums collected, reimbursement payments received and provide spreadsheet to accounting. Responsible to ensure that any plan changes are reflected in the Wrap Plan Document and Summary Plan Description. Responsible to disseminate the Summaries of Benefit Coverage, and SPD’s to all faculty and staff and maintenance of the current compliance documents on the HR benefits section of the employer website.
- Responsible to gather and review Schedule A’s, review the Annual Return/Report of the Employee Benefit Plan Form 5500, and ensure that it is filed to the DOL by the deadline, and maintain documentation of same
Retirement Benefits Administration
- Responsible to assist with the administration of the Ave Maria University Retirement plans, and establish and insure functionality of a biweekly electronic contribution file exchange between payroll and plan record keepers
- Provide year-end census data to CBIZ and retirement plan auditor
- Provide all additional information requested by auditor in order to test selected plan participant’s, tying out payroll data to plan record-keepers data, review of the 5500 Annual Report/Return for the retirement plan, and ensure timely filing of return to DOL by deadline;
- Acts as liaison with various plan record keepers and financial advisors, and fosters effective relationships with representatives. Send out fee disclosure notices, and Summary of Material Modification notices to plan participants
- Responsible for the implementation and ongoing functionality, maintenance, training, and accurate use of the payroll HRIS system
- Provides guidance and management oversight to HR Generalists in the day-to-day functions of administering an accurate and timely payroll
- Reviews data to ensure accuracy in the payroll process
- Ensures that the HR Generalists are performing the downloading and storage of biweekly payroll reports accurately labeled and stored in correct pay date folder, and easily accessible for retrieval to include biweekly payroll registers, labor distributions, master control, payroll audit, and check register, allowed and taken reports, quarterly 941’s, and year-end W-2 and 1095C tax forms
- Continues to act as liaison with ADP WorkForceNow service representatives as it pertains to the use and function of all the various modules within the HRIS/payroll system for payroll processing, retirement plan calculations and management reports, recruitment and applicant tracking, benefits, time and attendance, time off, ACA, reports, and utilities
Special Projects, Meeting, Planning, File Records Management
- Perform other duties as may be requested by the President, or VP for Finance and Administration, in order to contribute to the achievement of University goals and objectives
- Oversight of updates of ADP home page
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, and some duties may be delegated, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, organization development, human resources management or other related field required.
7+ years human resources generalist experience at the Director level performing like duties is required. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in hands-on processing of payroll and management of HR Information Systems is required preferably using ADP WorkForceNow software. Higher Education experience is preferred.
Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or PHR preferred, and/or SHRM-SCP certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Hands-on Director role that requires broad knowledge and experience with employment law, recruiting and talent acquisition, skilled with payroll and HRIS, preferably ADP WorkForceNow experience. Ability to develop collaborative working relationships, communicate with diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity, maintain confidentiality, and act ethically. Requires experience managing worker’s compensation and unemployment claims, international visa programs, job classification, job description, and job posting development, performance management, diversity and inclusion, investigations and employee relations and training. Excellent verbal, written, communication, and customer service skills are required. MS Office proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, and the ability to use or quickly learn the University’s HRIS and talent management software – ADP. Excellent typing and data entry proficiency skills are required. Must possess strong analytical and problem analysis/resolution skills and possess a strict attention to detail. Requires ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently, initiative, self-direction, project and people management skills, follow through, and a strong desire to help others.
PHYSICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Requires the ability to work in a seated position for long hours, ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other campus buildings, the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10 – 50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, create and read written documents, forms and correspondence, and operate equipment and read technical information. Ability to hear and speak to communicate with employees, brokers, plan record keepers, etc.
To Apply, click and follow the link below