Harvard University Press
Harvard University Press seeks an experienced Director of Digital Strategy to join its international team of publishing professionals. The successful candidate brings significant digital experience across multiple areas—from content and distribution to audience acquisition and retention—to help build and align long-term growth strategies and empower the organization’s brand presence. The Director of Digital Strategy will plan, execute, and oversee all digital strategy, content creation, and channel management, including social media, website, and digital newsletters. The Director will establish KPIs and continually analyze these digital strategies and campaigns to assess their performance, adjusting when necessary to improve their effectiveness. Working closely with the Marketing, Publicity, and Editorial teams, as well as other stakeholders, the Director will establish the end-to-end digital marketing capabilities that align with the brand strategy and goals of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement, and manage impactful digital marketing strategies and ecosystem (inclusive of all appropriate channels, i.e., social, web, email, etc.) to grow engagement and drive awareness of the brand and its books
- Supervise a small group of communications staffers including CMS administrator and 1-2 new hires who would manage social media and other digital footprints including digital newsletters (roles to be determined). Manage and mentor staff to support strategic initiatives and successful outcomes
- Maintain accuracy of the public-facing company website, working with the website governance committee, and write engaging promotional web copy as needed
- Partner with Marketing, Publicity, and Editorial teams to conceive and develop integrated campaigns. Work with these teams to ensure relevant content and copy appeal to respective digital channels
- Establish digital KPIs, reports and dashboards, digital marketing best practices, governance, and processes
- Regularly analyze performance across channels and make recommendations for changes in strategy and approach as necessary, providing insights and key learnings to other departments. Leverage data insights to develop unique marketing strategies to drive awareness and growth for published books and the brand
- Champion testing and experimentation in pursuit of driving growth and user engagement
- Monitor trends in social media, email marketing, the publishing industry, and other relevant fields to keep the company’s digital presence up-to-date
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum 8 years of relevant experience, 3+ years in a leadership role developing and implementing digital marketing strategies
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Extensive digital literacy and ability to drive change and amplify learnings using the latest technologies and tools for best practices
- Demonstrated experience with web content management systems, web analytics, and SEO
- Expert understanding of the social media landscape and how to build a culture-driving brand
- Strong analytical background, with a proven ability to jump from the analytical side of marketing to the creative side
- Strong writing, revising, editing, and proofreading skills; demonstrated knowledge of English grammar and usage; attention to detail and accuracy as a proofreader
- Collaborative team player with a great attitude and ambitious, go-getter mentality
- Result-orientation and attention to details
- Experience working in paid media channels — paid search, social, display, and affiliate – as well as owned channels
- Experience in the publishing landscape. Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Understanding digital commerce subscription and ecommerce landscape
- Experience with email marketing platforms and CRMs
- Knowledge of task management tools
- Ability to create on-brand messaging and write in an appropriate tone and voice for senior leaders
- Ability to adopt established language and style guidelines
- Excellent project management skills, including organizing resources, working effectively with colleagues to achieve goals, prioritizing, and advancing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines, exercise sound professional judgment, and handle multiple complex/confidential tasks simultaneously
- A problem-solving mindset and collegial spirit
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
CM0759 Digital Strategist III
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Credit, Education, Identity
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Marketing & Communications Specialist , Columbia University, United States, 1 day ago
Job Type: Officer of Administration Regular/Temporary: Regular Hours Per Week: 35 Salary Range: $75,000 to $85,000 The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety ...
Communications Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 1 hour ago
Communications Specialist Med-Computational and Systems Biology - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008735) The Department of Computational & Systems Biology (CSB) at the University of Pittsburgh Schoo...
Marketing Campaigns Officer Internal Only, King's College London, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Job id: 079725. Salary: £37,332 - £42,099 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance. Posted: 30 November 2023. Closing date: 06 December 2023. Business unit: External Relations. Department:...
Director Of Digital Operations, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 1 hour ago
Director of Digital Operations SHRS-Office of the Dean - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008737) The Director of Digital Operations will create, implement and drive all digital media strategies to al...
Product Marketing Strategist, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 13 days ago
Product Marketing Strategist Calgary, AB Corporate Development, Applied Research & International – Centre for Continuing Education & Professional Studies / AUPE Temporary Salary / Hybrid Apply for...
Ref 5950/23 Marketing Campaign Manager, Offshore Campuses, Office Of Pvc, International, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 4 days ago
Full-Time, Fixed-Term Position until 31 December 2025 Remuneration: $130,740 to $145,135 p.a. plus 17% Super and Leave Loading WFH Options | Flex Leave | Professional Development| Salary Packaging...