Overview - Director of Development
Purdue University Northwest's Office of Development is actively seeking a Director of Development. Our Office of Development is responsible for our University's giving programs. Every gift to PNW is an investment that helps our students grow into the next generation of leaders. As a member of our strategic team, the Director of Development will play a key role in managing major gift portfolios, discovery and qualification work of identified prospects in support of establishing endowed scholarship funds and faculty chairs, planned gifts and other special projects. The Director of Development will also play a collaborative role in the success of the entire Institutional Advancement team.
This position works in a hybrid work environment where you can work both on campus and remotely.
Purdue University Northwest (PNW) is a premier metropolitan university dedicated to empowering transformational change in our students and in our community. We offer two campuses serving approximately 8,800 undergraduate and graduate students. At PNW, we value academic excellence, support growth, and celebrate diversity.
PNW sits between Chicago’s skyscrapers and Lake Michigan’s sandy shores. You can have all the perks of a world-class city just a short drive away or enjoy the natural beauty of the Indiana Dunes National Park and Lake Michigan just 15 miles away.
Duties and Responsibilities - Director of Development
- Serve as development support to senior administrative and academic leaders including the Chancellor, Provost, and Deans
- Responsible for identification, cultivation and solicitation of university alumni, parents, friends and community members as potential donors of annual and major gifts to the university
- Manage an assigned primary portfolio of major gifts prospects of 75-100 with the goal of producing regular annual giving donors and major project and scholarship donors
- Manage a discovery portfolio of prospects to broaden the pipeline of potential major and principal donors
- Identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective donors making a minimum of 100-120 face-to-face personal visits annually, including a minimum of 50 discovery visits.
- Act as the lead fundraiser on various named scholarship fund efforts and other special projects in specific Colleges
- Advance relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Prepare proposals and solicit prospects for major gifts, to secure a minimum annual goal toward the unit's fundraising goals
- Work collaboratively with marketing and communications and alumni community to secure funding for university-wide priorities
- Become conversant and comfortable with planned giving/asset-based giving vehicles
- Become conversant with the history and traditions of Purdue University Northwest
- Use Ascend to track moves management of assigned prospects, organize workflow and pipeline activity with a specific emphasis on solicitation and realized gifts
- Collaborate with appropriate development and department staff to develop prospect strategies and build relationships
- Prepare and report regularly on annual action plans with defined activities and timetables
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filling of requests of prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports using the University Development Office's prospect management system (Advance, Reeher, etc.). Prepare progress reports as needed.
Education - Director of Development
- Bachelor’s degree
Experience - Director of Development
- 3 years fundraising, donor stewardship experience. 5+ years of fundraising experience preferred
- Experience in solicitation of major and/or principal gifts in higher education preferred
Core Competencies - Director of Development
- Highly motivated and flexible individual with strong relationship building skills and a demonstrated capacity for organization and teamwork
- Ability to thrive in a hybrid work environment (balancing remote and in-office)
- Confidence and comfort with engaging high net worth individuals and C-suite executives
- Demonstrate conceptual understanding of development and alumni relations
- Strong professional communication and listening skills and the ability to represent the university with tact and diplomacy at all levels
- Proficiency with standard office productivity software, database management, and CRM systems
- Ability and willingness to travel required
Professional references will be verified prior to any offer of employment. Employment is contingent upon completion of successful background check along with a motor vehicle records check if applicable.
Purdue University Northwest is an EEO/AA employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Pnw Assistant/Associate Professor, Mechatronics Engineering Technology, Purdue University Northwest, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Department of Engineering Technology in the College of Technology at Purdue University Northwest (PNW) in Hammond, Indiana is accepting applications for a tenure-track assistant or associate p...
Hvac Mechanic, Central Heating And Cooling, Purdue University Northwest, United States, about 19 hours ago
Full benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability, Retirement, Life Insurance and more Ten paid vacation days first year of employment Ten paid holidays University paid and matching c...
Pnw Lecturer, Mechatronics Engineering Technology, Purdue University Northwest, United States, 10 days ago
The Department of Engineering Technology at Purdue University Northwest (PNW) invites applications to fill a full-time, non-tenure-track teaching position at the rank of Lecturer in the Department...
Head Men's Ice Hockey Coach And Director Of Hockey Operations, Intercollegiate Athletics, Purdue University Northwest, United States, about 19 hours ago
Part of the internationally respected Purdue University system, Purdue University Northwest offers world-class educational opportunities at an excellent value on two culturally diverse, student-ce...
Cultural Arts Development Officer, Governors State University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Position Type Administrative Appointment Classification Title Development Officer Position's Functional Title Cultural Arts Development Officer Position Start...
Academic Advisor, School Of Education & Counseling, Purdue University Northwest, United States, about 19 hours ago
Full benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability, Retirement, Life Insurance and more Accrue 15 days’ vacation your first year, then 22 days’ vacation your 2nd year plus rollover Uni...