Work type:Officer of Administration
Categories:Executive/Management/Director, Operations/Infrastructure, Police
Department: University of Oregon Police Department
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $90,000 - $105,000/year; candidates with advanced skills and experience may be considered for a starting salary above this range.
Compensation Band: OS-OA10-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
April 17, 2023; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin April 17, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. A resume with an accompanying cover letter may be submitted via the Spelman Johnson website at www.spelmanjohnson.com/open-positions . Nominations for this position may be emailed to J. Scott Derrick at firstname.lastname@example.org . Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895 or email email@example.com .
Nestled in the lush Willamette Valley, within an easy drive to the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountains, the University of Oregon (UO) is renowned for its research prowess and commitment to teaching. Founded in 1876, UO enrolls 23,202 students from all fifty states and 94 countries. Designated as a Tier 1 national public research university comprised of nine schools and colleges offering more than 300 undergraduate programs, the University of Oregon is one of just two institutions in the Pacific Northwest selected for membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). US News & World Report ranks the UO among its top 100 national universities and Oregon's #1 public university.
The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD), part of the division of safety and risk services (SRS), is a community-oriented, trust-based policing agency. UOPD plays an integral role in the university community by providing a safe, secure, and welcoming environment, with a mission to foster a climate that encourages a free, open, and civil exchange of ideas in support of the educational, research, and public service goals of the institution. UOPD recognizes and promotes the value of multiculturalism and inclusiveness consistent with a spirit of responsible citizenship within an international community.
Reporting to the chief of police on the Eugene campus, the director of campus safety provides comprehensive operational leadership and management for the newly-acquired University of Oregon Portland Northeast campus, located in the northern part of the city, and administers all security efforts at the University of Oregon White Stag location in downtown Portland. The director oversees the daily operations on both campuses, including the development, administration, and evaluation of all safety and security functions, programs, and policies as part of a risk-based security program; advises faculty, staff, and students in response to threats or perceived threats; offers appropriate safety training for the campus community; and organizes event security. The director ensures the protection of critical infrastructure, facilities, intellectual property, physical assets, and the research enterprise; collaborates closely with aligned risk units (SRS, environmental health & safety, the lock shop, etc.) in mitigating the community’s exposure to security risks; and develops integrated safety strategies in compliance with applicable federal and state laws. The director of campus safety leads, supervises, trains, and evaluates a team of four community service officers and provides oversight for a private security contract.
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience (law enforcement, security and/or higher education).
• Five (5) years progressive administrative, supervisory, and management experience in law enforcement or security settings
• No un-pardoned adult felony convictions.
• No convictions for domestic violence.
• Valid driver's license and proof of insurability.
• Ability to successfully pass a comprehensive background assessment that includes: criminal history check; driving record review; physical examination; psychological evaluation including drug screening; and an inclusive appraisal of work history.
• Adult CPR with First Aid and Automatic External Defibrillation (AED) certification required within 60-days of employment.
• Certified Protection Professional (CPP) certification or similar security certification highly desirable, but not required at the time of employment.
• Must obtain CPP within 48-months of employment.
• Consistently demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity and emotional maturity and ethics.
• Proven ability to effectively, continuously and discretely work with confidential and potentially sensitive information.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and to working with persons from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Strong coalition-building skills capable of developing collaborative relationships with diverse external and internal cohorts.
• Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing, effectively presenting ideas and providing plans and procedures in a clear and concise manner to internal customers, team members and senior leadership.
• NCS4 Certified Sport Security Professional
• ASIS Certified Protection Professional
• Five (5) years of related security experience or law enforcement equal in scope to the requirements and duties of this position.
• Three (3) years of supervisory experience within a security or law enforcement setting in a higher education environment. This may include experience with hiring practices, providing performance appraisals and managing schedules.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategic initiatives, both forward looking and in response to emerging trends.
• Experience working on a college campus or in a school setting
• Proficiency with technology, especially data management systems and emergency notification systems
• Experience in providing safety and security focused training in an academic environment.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process .
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits .
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination .
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report .
Fire Systems Inspector, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 28 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 19073 Department Overview This position is in the Utilities Main...
Ohsu Student Worker, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 25 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 23472 Department Overview The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (...
Patient Safety Technician, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 17-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 23610 Department Overview The Video Monitor Technician (VMT) pro...
Rn, Maternal Newborn Cross Trained, Labor & Delivery, Pt (0.75), Nights, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 23 days ago
Details Posted: 14-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 23604 Department Overview OHSU Maternal Crossed Trained RN suppo...
Occupational Therapist, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 28 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 23528 Department Overview The purpose of this job/position is to...
Assistant Nurse Manager, Neurosciences Icu, Ft, Evenings, Oregon Health and Science University, United States, 9 days ago
Details Posted: 28-May-23 Location: Portland, Oregon Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 23797 Department Overview The nurses of the 17-bed Neurosciences...