Alumni Affairs and Development
Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) comprises the University Development Office (UDO), Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Development, AA&D Resources, and the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA). There is a unique relationship between the University and the FAS fundraising operations, resulting from a long history in which University fundraising ultimately grew out of College fundraising.
Harvard Alumni Association
The Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) is the University-wide alumni association for Harvard University. It is also the home to the Harvard College and Radcliffe College alumni/ae association and the staff that support them. In its University-wide capacity, the HAA serves alumni of all eleven schools at Harvard in a manner supportive of and complementary to the work of the individual school alumni offices. Harvard University alumni span the globe at nearly 400,000 strong – more than 327,000 are in the USA, with 204 international countries represented.
This position is responsible for creating, or managing the creation of, all digital content for email, social media, and web channels, including, but not limited to, long and short form writing, video, digital advertising, and social media reels/stories. This role is expected to bring creative and innovative approaches to storytelling and content-sharing and ensure that all content ties to key HAA priorities. This position also serves as a resource to the HAA with deep knowledge of priorities and initiatives across the University.
The Digital Content Strategist is an excellent writer and communicator, with a strong background in developing digital content for marketing purposes and using storytelling to drive digital engagement. This position will manage the HAA social media accounts, collectively targeting 200,000+ followers, disseminating compelling messaging—both written and multimedia—to a global alumni community, driving digital audience engagement with HAA channels and events and programs, tracking and building social analytics reports monthly and annually, and aligning social strategy with overarching HAA content strategy.
- Manages execution of HAA digital content strategy including creating content through email, digital newsletters, social media, web, and print platforms in accordance with University and HAA priorities.
- Manages all key marketing content for the HAA including, but not limited to, marketing emails, social media, websites, and long-form stories—writing, or overseeing the writing of, all pieces; independently or working with AA&D partner teams, develops multimedia content for HAA marketing channels;
- Manages HAA social media presence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn with a collective following of more than 200,000; Leads growth strategies for social media following and alumni engagement across multiple platforms and supporting AA&D and University-wide initiatives and campaigns. Demonstrates confidence and judgment in representing HAA on digital channels;
- Manages marketing schedules and day-to-day implementation of audience engagement strategies, including curating University content, posting/responding on social channels, and in emails and email newsletters; Creates and manages voice, tone, and message direction for all accounts. Demonstrates confidence and judgment in representing HAA on digital channels. Identifies new ways to talk and engage with alumni followers online;
- Develops and maintains deep content knowledge on a range of University-wide programs and priorities, serving as a resource for the HAA’s overall content strategy and monthly newsletters;
- In partnership with Engagement Marketing and Communications project team leads, runs social media advertising strategy and implementation with the goal of driving audience engagement broadly as well as audience engagement with HAA events and programs;
- Oversees writers producing content for HAA/HPAC storytelling and project manages writing projects across the HAA in collaboration with the AA&D Content Strategy team, ensuring timely delivery and success across teams; Manages relationships with HPAC social media team;
- Manages HAA’s social listening strategy, building social media engagement and listening reports, keeping HPAC and HAA senior leadership apprised of social media response trends to major University news;
- Oversees some work of the Alumni Relations Assistant, Engagement Marketing and Communications as this position’s work as relates to social media project support;
- In concert with HAA needs, works periodically on special projects in collaboration with the Associate Director, Engagement Communications and senior leadership;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A/BS required
- 3+ years of work experience, preferably at least part of this time in a writing, marketing, or communications role, or related transferable experience;
- Strong experience developing written communications for digital marketing channels;
- Experience in writing marketing copy for email and/or social media (preferably both)
- Evening and weekend work required at least once or twice monthly throughout the year that will require an on-site presence in Cambridge; this role is also required to be on-site covering Harvard Class Day, Commencement, Reunions, and Harvard Alumni Day events in Cambridge office for most days from the last full week of May through the first Saturday in June. Provides social media coverage at events that may occur outside of standard office hours.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Proven experience using marketing communications to drive higher levels of digital engagement across a wide variety of channels, especially email and social media; Must be able to think strategically and integrate strategy across a variety of marketing channels;
- Experience overseeing strategy for social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram; Demonstrable success building engaged community across social networks;
- Excellent writing and multimedia skills; Ability to adapt voice and tone to audience;
- Strong project management, partnership building, and interpersonal skills; ability to cooperate and collaborate with a variety of constituents with multiple interests and varying levels of authority;
- Must have cultural sensitivity and awareness of diversity issues regarding the internal and external Harvard community;
- Experience using social media metrics to adapt and shift strategy;
- Able to work independently and part of a team with an ability to function effectively in a highly complex organizational environment;
- Adept at evaluating problems accurately and displaying sound judgment;
- Possess a learning mindset with an interest in staying up to date on marketing and project management best practices;
- Must be flexible, quick to adapt, and possess the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks under deadline pressure;
- Experience creating engaging and original mobile video content preferred;
- Adobe Creative Cloud experience a plus;
- Experience using social media management platforms, listening, and analytics tools (Hootsuite, Buffer, Sprout, etc.) a plus;
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- This position requires a 3 month orientation and review period.
- Please include a cover letter with your application.
We are a dedicated team of 400 alumni affairs and development professionals supporting Harvard’s advancement activity through roles that include front-line fundraising, alumni and volunteer engagement, technology, events, communications, prospect management and research, business process, talent management and many other areas.
Harvard’s Alumni Affairs and Development team inspires and galvanizes alumni, friends, and members of the University community to support Harvard through philanthropy, governance, and active engagement. AA&D believes a workplace that reflects the diversity of our society and our ever-evolving University constituency makes us a stronger and more effective organization. Our goal is to create an environment of respect that values the many talents, perspectives, and experiences of our community, to deliver the strongest possible results by incorporating diverse perspectives into our daily work, and to make AA&D a great place to work for everyone. AA&D strives to live our values of respect, inclusion, trust, collaboration, innovation and sharing of information in our daily interactions and our work.
To learn more about how Harvard supports diversity and inclusion throughout the University please visit the Office for Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at https://dib.harvard.edu/ .
Harvard University Benefits: Information can be found at https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards .
Accommodations: Harvard University welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please let your recruiter know.
Vaccine Requirements: Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees are required to provide proof of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website .
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Alumni Affairs and Development, Communications
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
405004 Comm Professional (N)
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Alumni Affairs and Development
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Social Media Specialist, Senior (Hybrid) Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, United States, 6 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Web And Digital Media Coordinator, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 13 hours ago
Staff - Non Union Job Category M&P - AAPS Job Profile AAPS Salaried - Information Services, Level A Job Title Web and Digital Media Coordinator Department UBCO | Administrative Support | Dean's Of...
Communications And Marketing Coordinator, International, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 6 days ago
« Back to Jobs Communications and Marketing Coordinator, International Location: Pipitea Type: Contract Post Date: Tue Sep 5 01:07:36 2023 Ref: 6693 Do you have an interest in a fixed-term role, ...
Marketing & Communications Specialist, University of Alberta, Canada, 1 day ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 1 year plus a day (Maternity Leave Coverage) and offers a comprehensive benefits package wh...
Digital Communications Spec, Arizona State University, United States, 13 days ago
95338BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Digital Communications Spec Job Description The Digital Communications Specialist supports the communication functions of the brand engagement and marketing team f...
Communications Advisor At Bergen Centre For Ethics And Priority Setting In Health (Bceps), University of Bergen, Norway, 2 days ago
Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care Communications Advisor at Bergen Centre for Ethics and Priority Setting in Health (BCEPS) Apply for this job See advertisement Knowledge that sh...