Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Deputy Group Leader (DGL) will report to the Computational Earth Science (EES-16) Group Leader and will be responsible for scientific leadership, management, operation and administration of EES-16. The Computational Earth Science Group (EES-16) includes two teams: Subsurface Flow and Transport (SFT) and Applied Terrestrial Energy and Atmospheric Modeling (ATEAM). These teams combine basic and applied research to develop novel and integrated modeling and analysis platforms, including high-performance modeling, to address practical problems for federal and industrial agencies. Projects within EES-16 address challenges in clean energy, carbon sequestration, sustainable unconventional fossil resource extraction, subsurface environmental remediation and management, surface and subsurface hydrology, geologic repositories, atmospheric and ecological processes, wildfire impacts, geothermal energy and national security challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering field or equivalent combination of education and experience; Ph.D. in Earth Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Hydrology, Geography, Physics or related field preferred
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and assessing performance/ supervising technical work of scientific researchers
- Experience implementing institutional policies and procedures as they relate to personnel management, budget oversight, safety and security
- Experience building collaborative projects and relationships across organizational boundaries
- Experience proposing, developing and sustaining research programs in areas relevant to computational earth science
- Demonstrated record of excellence and achievement in technical areas relevant to computational earth science evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, reports, seminars,
- Ability to obtain DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship)
- Experience interfacing and managing relationships with external sponsoring organizations (DOE, NNSA, DoD, DHS, Industry, etc.)
- Experience in conflict resolution and in dealing with human performance issues
- Experience with high-performance computing (HPC) or with projects that utilize HPC
- Experience with, and utilization of, uncertainty quantification, decision analysis and machine learning
- Experience conceiving, developing, leading and executing substantial computational modeling and simulation projects to address scientific questions relevant to EES-16
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC79253: https://lanl.jobs/los-alamos-nm/rd-manager-3-computational-earth-science-deputy-group-leader/7160EC648A1B49B1B6148D8DD4D43AFF/job/
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Ingrasound Researcher / Scientist 2/3, Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title Ingrasound Researcher / Scientist 2/3 Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name Geophysics / EES-17 Minimum Salary Maximum Salary What You Will Do This position will be filled at eit...
Infrasound Researcher (Scientist 2/3), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Title Infrasound Researcher (Scientist 2/3) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name EES-17/Geophysics Minimum Salary Maximum Salary What You Will Do This position will be filled at eithe...
Mechanical Tec 5 (Development And Fabrication Tec 5), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Title Mechanical Tec 5 (Development and Fabrication Tec 5) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name ISR-5 / Space Instrument Realization Minimum Salary 75400 Maximum Salary 122900 What Yo...
3 D Designer/Developer (Software Developer 1/2), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Title 3D Designer/Developer (Software Developer 1/2) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name SAE-1/Enterprise Application & Database Services Minimum Salary Maximum Salary What You Will ...
Remote Sensing Scientist / Scientist 3, Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Title Remote Sensing Scientist / Scientist 3 Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name Space & Remote Sensing Minimum Salary 110400 Maximum Salary 186300 What You Will Do The Space and Rem...
Entry Level Electrical Engineer (R&D Engineer 1), Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Title Entry Level Electrical Engineer (R&D Engineer 1) Location Los Alamos, NM, US Organization Name ISR-4 / Space Electronics and Signal Processing Minimum Salary 83300 Maximum Salary 136200 ...