Dept HR Manager
The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering (SBHSE) in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is seeking to fill the position of Department HR Manager. Under general supervision, this position will manage and perform work of considerable responsibility in administering human resource functions in a complex academic unit with significant research and instructional emphasis. The successful candidate must be skilled in maintaining effective working relationships among a diverse population, able to provide excellent customer service, skilled in the practices and methods of Human Resource management, skilled in handling confidential and sensitive information, and work effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities and short deadlines. This position requires knowledge of electronic data processing and applications as it applies to human resources, knowledge of academic and university policies and procedures, and must be skilled in problem solving and decision-making.
Sch Biological & Hlth Sys Engr
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$52,000 - $74,160 per year; DOE
The Department Human Resources Manager coordinates and supervises the work activities of an HR team responsible for coordinating and managing personnel searches and payroll for all SBHSE employment categories. This includes assigning, prioritizing, and organizing workloads utilizing knowledge of staff expertise and oversight of major payroll process including academic and summer renewals for faculty.
Other essential functions the position would oversee include:
Recruitment and Hiring:
- Oversees onboarding of new employees, leaves management, J-1, H-1B, and other residency issues.
- Provides high-level support related to recruitment requests to ensure correct job classification, requested salary posting and screening questions.
- Coordinates and oversees the graduate renewal process each semester in conjunction with Program Chairs and the Research Advancement team.
- Leads academic and summer renewal process.
- Manages staff personnel searches including applicant evaluation and hiring; utilizes Kenexa for processing and reporting.
- Coordinates all instruction- related student hiring with Program Chairs and Business Operations Manager to ensure appropriateness of classification and salary structure.
- Coordinates offer letters for all classifications of SBHSE employees, includes overseeing structure of offer as it relates to payroll interaction (FTE, ISP, VISA, etc).
- Oversees and manages the payroll reconciliation processes and electronic filing.
- Manages and participates in internal and external audit requests.
- Implements compensation structure - ensuring salaries at hire are appropriate and confirm funding.
- Manages all staff job classifications, salary structure and compensation including in the preparation of job postings and developmental adjustments.
- Reviews, analyzes, and makes recommendations about staff, student, academic professionals, and postdoctoral positions to administration for promotion and salary increase requests, using data tools.
- Implements and manages HR policies, procedures, and objectives specific to improving operational.
- Assists and advises SBHSE supervisors with personnel issues.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND seven (7) years of related administrative experience, which includes three (3) years of supervisory experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of human resources practices, regulations, and standards.
- Experience leading, training and supervising assigned staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of streamlining existing processes and creating new innovative strategies within the department.
- Experience in HR data analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new and existing positions assessment/analysis.
- Experience using Kenexa/BrassRing, PeopleSoft, DocuWare, DocuSign and all Microsoft Office applications or comparable software.
- Demonstrated knowledge of FMLA, FLSA, ACA and all applicable federal, state, and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Experience in managing and processing Visas for all foreign national ASU employees.
- Able to communicate, both verbally and in written, across all levels of the organization in order to build and sustain relationships
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
- Cultivate excellence.
- Deliver innovation that matters.
- Encourage bold thinking.
- Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
- Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Administrative Assistant Ii, The University of Arizona, United States, 23 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Administrative Assistant II St. Johns, AZ, United States | req14963 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Administrative Assistant II Posting Number req14963 Department Ap...
Systems Administrator Iv (Remote), The University of Arizona, United States, 10 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Systems Administrator IV (Remote) United States | req14624 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Systems Administrator IV (Remote) Posting Number req14624 Department Infra...
Doctoral Student In Fire Safety, Lunds universitet, Sweden, 26 days ago
7 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Lunds universitet Department Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, Building & Environmental Technology Research Field Engineering Researcher Prof...
Custodial Supervisor, Harvard University, United States, 17 days ago
12-May-2023 Campus Services 62516BR Job Summary Energy & Facilities (E&F) operates and manages Harvard’s energy supplies, district energy plants, and utility infrastructures on the Cambridge/Allst...
Professor / Associate Professor / Assistant Professor In Environmental Engineering, THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY, Hong Kong, 29 days ago
4 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY Research Field Engineering Engineering Chemistry Environmental science Geosciences Researcher Profile Leading R...
Technical Manager, Platform Engineering (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, about 9 hours ago
The Technical Manager of Platform Engineering for the University of Arizona Global Campus (UAGC) is a full-time employment position reporting to the Sr. Director of Productivity & Platform Se...