ABOUT THE TEAM:
Institutional Research & Decision Support is the first-choice provider of timely, high-quality, accessible information and analysis for informed decision-making at Stanford. IR&DS analyzes and reports on data from all of Stanford’s major administrative systems, including student, faculty, course, research, and financial data. IR&DS performs and facilitates complex analyses for university leadership, departments, and central offices, including collaborating with other universities to provide comparative data and proactively publishing dashboards and management reports.
Learn more about IR&DS: https://irds.stanford.edu/about
We are seeking a Decision Support System Developer/Engineer, a senior level data engineer, to build data collections and facilitate access to data from major administrative systems at Stanford, including student, faculty, course, and financial data. This position analyzes, designs, builds, tests, implements, and maintains data integrations, data solutions, and database environments to support integrated analysis, institutional research, and assessment at Stanford University. This position is expected to provide complex analysis and recommendations regarding data management, serve as overall solution architect, and is responsible as SME and Technical lead for on-going support and projects as assigned. This position reports to the Director of Decision Support & Business Intelligence.
- Coordinate the development and enrichment of enterprise data models assuring reporting system development builds upon the existing data foundation and data model conflicts are resolved.
- As a production support lead, responsible for data quality, data integrity, data consistency, data security, ETL scheduling, programming, reports, dashboards, ad-hoc user environment and performance.
- Perform data integrity and ETL code utilizing structured programming techniques and tools; provide thorough internal documentation. Coordinate code promotion, code turnover to operations, version control, and QA procedures.
- Lead and own organization-wide complex data integration and business intelligence reporting and analysis initiatives; ensure initiatives directly support the organizational mission and are delivered on schedule and budget.
- Provide complex analysis and recommendations regarding data management and the design of dashboard and reports; may develop interactive queries and dashboards for central and distributed users.
- Troubleshoot business intelligence environment problems and opportunities for improvement and coordinate with application team to resolve application bottlenecks and performance issues.
- May plan, mentor, coordinate, monitor and review the work of other information analytics-type staff during all phases of a project.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and seven years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience. Work experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Mastery in Business Intelligence and Data warehousing concepts and methodologies.
- Expert in data architecture, data modeling, design and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of and ability using ETL tools such as Informatica and SQL; analytical and business intelligence programs such as OBIEE, Tableau, business objects, Matlab, SAS, R, SPSS etc.
- Skilled in Multi-technologies in Business Intelligence and should be able to contribute to all phases of a project.
- Strong project management skills and ability to understand and apply the software development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated ability to review business processes and translate into BI reporting and analysis solutions.
- Extensive experience in data analysis and root cause analysis and proven problem solving and analytical thinking capabilities.
- Very strong at Programming skills and high experience in Business intelligence tools – both ETL and Dashboard Reporting.
- Substantial experience with relational and dimensional logical data modeling.
- Extensive background and experience with report and analysis design.
- Experience with the application of User Interface and User Experience best practices.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; proven presentation experience and comfort with senior management audiences and effective facilitation skills with diverse groups.
- Ability to prioritize workload and work with minimal supervision.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk.
- Rarely writing by hand; lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant, Associate, Or Full Professor Of Biomedical Data Science & Dermatology, Stanford University, United States, about 6 hours ago
The Department of Biomedical Data Science (DBDS) and the Department of Dermatology at Stanford University’s School of Medicine (SoM) are recruiting a joint clinical faculty member at the Assistant...
Mathematics And Computer Science Instructor, Stanford University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Mathematics and Computer Science Instructor OHS Instructor 1 Job Code: 4204 Job Grade: G FTE: 100%, Exempt Stanford’s Online High School is an accredited, diploma-offering, highly selective inde...
Instructional Designer, The California State University, United States, 13 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 513875 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 6, 2022 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link ...
E Commerce System And Operation Specialist, The California State University, United States, 13 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 511494 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 6, 2022 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link ...
Administrative Analyst, The California State University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 514256 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 20, 2022 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Construction Manager (Apply Via Search Firm), The California State University, United States, 5 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 514331 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 13, 2022 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: https...