Updated: 22 days ago
|Dean-Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions|
|South Dakota State University|
|3PHAR1-Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions|
|External (includes Internal)|
|Commensurate with qualifications.|
|Open Until Filled|
South Dakota State University (SDSU), the public land-grant research University of South Dakota, invites applications for the position of Dean ? College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions. Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is the College's chief academic and administrative officer. SDSU seeks an energetic academic leader with practical strategic vision, significant successful administrative experience as well as outstanding academic credentials and strength in fostering excellence in teaching, research/scholarship, and engagement. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. This position is a full-time, 12 month benefit eligible appointment.
- A Doctoral degree in Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Science discipline or closely related area with a strong understanding of contemporary pharmacy and health care systems;
- A record of accomplishments commensurate with the rank of Professor in one of the academic departments of the College;
- A record of visionary academic and administrative leadership and accomplishment;
- Experience in budget preparation and fiscal management;
- Ability to interact effectively with other members of the academic community and contribute to the University's academic leadership;
- A demonstrated commitment to quality teaching and learning, research excellence, professional service, and overall student success;
- A demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, inclusion and equity; and
- Effective leadership, communication, interpersonal, motivation, and public relations skills.
- An entry level degree in Pharmacy with eligibility for pharmacist licensure;
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and the mission of a public land-grant university; and
- A record of fundraising success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the Faculty in developing a vision for the College consistent with and in support of the University strategic plan;
- Encourages and promotes quality teaching, research and scholarship, and service contributions;
- Provides strategic leadership to advance the quality, reputation, and goals of the College;
- Ensures programs meet accreditation standards;
- Works collaboratively and supports a culture of shared governance;
- Represents the College in university governance and establishes cooperative working relationships with university administration and other academic units within the university;
- Responsible for the administration of the College, managing its capital, human, and fiscal resources and implementing a budget within a responsibility-centered management structure;
- Works actively to promote and support diversity, inclusion and equity;
- Fosters an environment that facilitates attracting, retaining, and developing outstanding faculty, administrators, and staff;
- Enhances the resource base of the College via a broad range of sources;
- Cultivates development opportunities, generates new resources, and supports development efforts of the SDSU Foundation;
- Collaborates with health care professionals and organizations to serve the health care needs of the state's people;
- Serves as the College's lead representative among internal and external constituencies;
- Develops positive and mutually supportive relationships with alumni and stakeholders; and
- Promotes community outreach and engagement, and contributes to the health sciences community on issues of interest and concern.
For questions on the position, contact Dr. Nancy Fahrenwald, Dean, College of Nursing, Search Committee Chairperson: Nancy.Fahrenwald@sdstate.edu or (605) 688-5178.
South Dakota State University is South Dakota's largest, most comprehensive university. With almost 600 faculty and an enrollment of approximately 13,000 students, SDSU offers a wide range of academic programs. SDSU is defined as a "Doctoral University, Higher Research Activity" within the Carnegie Classification and in 2014 was designated an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. SDSU is the center of life in Brookings, a progressive and growing community of approximately 22,000 with outstanding schools, numerous industry partners, lovely parks, and well-attended cultural activities. In 2015, Brookings was named the safest college town in the nation.
With 45 faculty, the College serves approximately 700 students enrolled in the Doctor of Pharmacy program, the Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences program, and the B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program. The College also provides administrative support and leadership for the University's Master of Public Health program. The College has a strong reputation for quality pharmacy and MLS education in the region and around the country. From 2014-16 the pharmacy program ranked #1 in the nation in NAPLEX pass rate. Since becoming NAACLS accredited in 2010, the MLS program has maintained a 98% pass rate on the ASCP Board exam. The College has a growing Ph.D. program, having graduated 25 students over the last 10 years. Ph.D. graduates are well-placed in academia, pharmaceutical industry and regulatory agencies in the U.S. and around the world.
The College is housed in the state-of-the-art Avera Health and Science Center, providing 97,000 square-feet of teaching laboratory, classroom, and office space, as well as 48,000 square-feet of research laboratory space. The College's research and scholarship efforts are focused in the areas of cancer, neuropharmacology, cell signaling, genomics, drug/vaccine delivery, community pharmacy, pharmacoeconomics, and cultural disparities. The College is one of the leaders on campus in intellectual property development, commercialization of technologies, and forming new university spin-offs. The College has strong academic and research collaborations with large health-care systems in the region.
With a strong alumni base, the College has received multiple endowments from generous donors, including three endowed faculty positions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for five professional references. References will not be contacted without candidate permission. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process. All applicants are treated confidentially; only the finalists will be made public.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university's verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.