Who We Are:
At Grantham our students are at the forefront of everything we do and we are passionate about maximizing their potential. We have been making a difference and impacting the lives of students since 1951. We have this same passion for our employees. Are you looking to build a solid career and make an impact in the lives of others? If the answer is Yes! We have an exciting opportunity for you!
What We Have to Offer:
Just as we help our students maximize their potential, we’ll also help you maximize yours. From our full-time staff to our faculty, Grantham provides amazing job growth opportunities with a competitive compensation and benefits package, health and life insurance, retirement plan, generous paid time off, a culture of service and generosity, and a robust employee recognition program.
Reporting to the Director of Data Management, the Data Scientist will provide analytical support to University constituents. S/he is accountable for transforming University data points into meaningful insight for assigned stakeholders through the development of dashboards and visualizations, statistical analysis and sharing of information via written and verbal communication. S/he needs to be innovative and passionate about finding creative data solutions aligning with the university goals and strategic priorities and must be a self-starter and may work autonomously at times.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct research projects and design analytical studies in support of administrative planning, university operations, academic evaluation and/or institutional effectiveness activities
- Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) in multiple areas, interacting with University staff as needed to disseminate and communicate information and insights contributing to a culture of data-informed decision-making and continuous evaluation and improvement
- Lead and facilitate the design, development, and implementation of creative performance dashboards and visualizations, supplemental reporting and written analysis for university staff and leaders.
- Contribute to the design, development and documentation of university core systems, data structures, data governance library and team processes
- Develops and maintains institutional reporting, outcomes and operations performance indicators utilizing industry-standard methodologies and best practice in higher education
- Accountable for ensuring the accuracy and validity of data metrics published
- Leverage data mining of university core systems, model building, and other analytical and statistical techniques to develop descriptive statistics and improve predictive models as needed
- Develop, support and adhere to university data governance policies and practices and participate in quality assurance activates to ensure data integrity
- Work collaboratively with University partners to share subject matter expertise, research findings and insights, analytical and software techniques, and higher education industry trends
- Collect, maintain and analyze external data and information as needed
- Serves on University committees as appropriate, and participates in projects and activities to support the success of committee objectives
- Maintain higher education industry knowledge and technical skills through continuous learning and participation in approved external organizations related to analytics and/or post-secondary education
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Statistics or related Business Intelligence field, Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in an analytic environment with 2 years in the higher education space preferred
- Hands-on experience utilizing SQL (T-SQL) or Oracle is required
- Proficiency with Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, or other statistical and/or analytical packages is required
- Familiarity in “R” and Python or related statistical modeling languages strongly preferred
- Experience with University core systems (LMS, SIS, Salesforce)
- An ongoing desire to go beyond assignment-specific work by being creative, and by bringing new ideas to improve the overall data management and analytics abilities of the University
- Able to work in fast-paced environment often with minimal supervision, sometimes under tight deadlines, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize appropriately
- Strong written and verbal communication; effective presentation skills and one-on-one communication is required
- Language Skills: Able to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Able to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Able to effectively present information to executive management, faculty, and/or staff.
- Mathematical Skill: Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability: Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to present facts to faculty for departmental response. Able to deal with a variety of information presented in oral or written formats. Able to deal with non-verbal behavior in assisting with problem resolution.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel (including the use of computer keyboards) and talk or hear (including the use of a telephone and computer).
- Occasionally required to walk, stand, and make presentations
- This position may involve sitting at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Office consists of a work cubicle. Must be able to function in a cubicle-type environment and able to work effectively with surrounding distractions and noises.
- This position requires travel to and from the University’s main location in Lenexa, KS as needed. A valid drivers’ license, good driving record, and the ability to hold automobile insurance is required for this position.
- Specific vision abilities include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
Grantham will seek to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability. Such reasonable accommodation may take the form of making existing facilities readily accessible to or usable by individuals with a disability, restructuring jobs, modifying schedules, acquiring or modifying equipment, adjusting training materials, adjusting employment policies, and the like.
- Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented – fantastic record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented - passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a competitive disciplined execution for results
- Listening Skills – must be an active listener to insure client needs are fully understood and met
- Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success
Institutional Effectiveness Manager, Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences, United States, about 11 hours ago
Job Type: Staff Job Description: Reporting to Associate Provost for Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness, the Institutional Effectiveness Manager will provide oversight of day-to-day operati...
University Police Officer, University of Kansas Medical Center, United States, about 10 hours ago
Department: Public Safety - Police Operations ----- Police Operations - Main Campus Supervisor Position Title: University Police Officer Job Family Group: University Support Staff Job Description ...
Admissions Recruiter, Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences, United States, about 11 hours ago
Job Type: Staff Job Description: The Admissions Recruiter assists in the attainment of student recruitment goals and increasing overall diversity for KCU. This includes in-person and virtual recr...
Senior Budget Systems Application Specialist, University of Kansas Medical Center, United States, about 10 hours ago
Department: Institutional Finance: Budget ----- Budget Position Title: Senior Budget Systems Application Specialist Job Family Group: Professional Staff Job Description Summary: This role uses/req...
Clinical Application Analyst Ii, University of Kansas Medical Center, United States, about 10 hours ago
Department: SOM KC Internal Medicine - Administration ----- Medical Informatics Position Title: Clinical Application Analyst II Job Family Group: Professional Staff Job Description Summary: The De...
Simulation Operations Specialist, Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences, United States, about 11 hours ago
Job Type: Staff Job Description: Independently supports and maintains the technology used within the Department and provides training and assistance to faculty, staff, and students in the use and ...