Energy & Facilities (E&F) operates and manages Harvard’s energy supplies, district energy plants, and utility infrastructures on the Cambridge/Allston campuses, as well as a 24/7 facilities-related call, alarm monitoring, and dispatch center. E&F also provides a broad portfolio of unionized labor-based services, including building maintenance, landscaping, and custodial, to a large portion of the University, as well as engineering, technical, and sustainability services. Facilities Maintenance Operations (FMO), a department within E&F, offers primary building maintenance, landscape, fire safety, custodial, and event support services to Harvard schools and departments on a fee-for-service basis. All services are provided in strict accordance with regulatory requirements and customer-determined standards.
As described in the customer service level agreement, may include but not limited to:
The Operations Manager is guided by the mission, vision, and principles of Campus Services and instills a commitment to these values among all team members. The Operations Manager fosters a welcoming, supportive, and diverse workforce and environment.
Operations Manager oversees all day, evening, night, and weekend coverage for FMO Custodial Services operations in an area (or areas) of campus that may include residential, research, athletic, dining, and other facilities, classrooms, laboratories, library, assembly, office, and other spaces. The Operations Manager directly manages up to 10 Supervisors and indirectly manages 90-120 non-exempt employees; interviews, hires, trains, motivates, and retains both exempt and non–exempt staff; provides corrective action as appropriate, in consultation with the Director/Associate Director and HR; approves all overtime and time-off requests; and is responsible for leadership, development and performance management of staff. Ensures the delivery of support/services quality, quantity, and economy of custodial services provided conforms to standards (e.g., Departmental, University), and that all work performed/operations are in compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Adheres to Customer Services Level Agreements (SLA’s). Maintains frequent and consistent contact with customer representatives and custodial supervisors (electronic and face-to-face) to ensure optimal delivery of service, communication of activities, alignment of priorities, operational effectiveness, and the highest degree of customer satisfaction for areas being serviced. In collaboration with assigned custodial supervisors, serves as the primary customer contact and ensures prompt, efficient and effective information flow to and from customers throughout crew operations and other supportive areas of FMO.
- Utilizes Microsoft Office software and customer electronic work order systems to prepare and validate operational data. Optimizes customer feedback systems and measurement reports using the specialized work management database(s) to accurately reflect the effectiveness of cleaning programs and related services. Utilizes 3rd party quality audit data for continuous improvement of operations. Manages measurable service audits and agreements with facility representatives to ensure customer satisfaction and department success. Prepares, negotiates, assists with frequent evaluation and ongoing feedback to all involved parties to ensure and promote a positive, cost-effective, and successful customer experience.
- Responsible for effective staff leadership and management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Manages assigned custodial supervisors; establishes performance standards and measures for all crew employees and prepares regular employee evaluations for direct reports. Assists in the development and maintenance of standards for selecting candidates for all supervisory and hourly positions. Serves as hearing officer in the first step of the custodial employee grievance process. Conducts weekly meetings with supervisors and quarterly meetings with all support staff to discuss issues, changes, procedures, policies, regulations, and other department activities. Implements and continually refines programs for training new employees and re-training existing employees in a variety of areas including environmental health and safety compliance, effective sustainable cleaning procedures, and customer service skills. Liaises with other Departments, including the Center for Workforce Development to assist employees and managers who are seeking to further their education or career.
- Conducts weekly or frequent inspections of scheduled work assignments to ensure effective performance of all cleaning and support services in accordance with established FMO Custodial standards. Follows up with supervisors to resolve issues and prevent recurrence; participates in safety and quality surveillance rounds as needed.
- Ensures operations are in compliance with all Departmental, University and governmental procedures, policies, and regulations. Advises and collaborates with Director and/or Associate Director to identify and implement process improvements and initiatives across the Department to optimize operations and service delivery for the University. Assures compliance with bargaining unit agreement.
- Ensures compliance with University payroll procedures for all assigned supervisors and work crews. Serves as payroll timekeeper for assigned supervisors and work crews. Maintains and authorizes the electronic (Maximo) payroll system. Utilizing the data from employee timecards system, the Operations Manager is responsible for analyzing data and running reports to detect trends and issues, and takes corrective actions needed based on findings.
- Assists in the negotiation and management of contract agreements with vendors for effective procurement of materials, supplies, inventory, specialty services and supplemental labor. Adheres to all University and Department processes and protocols regarding the purchase of supplies and equipment.
- Prepares and submits statistical reports and analyses, capital equipment lists and oversees the preparation of weekly and monthly supervisor reports (e.g., operational, payroll, performance).
- Exercises and continuously refines the emergency response capacity of FMO Custodial Services, including contingency planning for: inclement weather conditions (snow, ice, wind, rain), building flooding, Blood-borne Pathogen or other biohazard cleanups, and other incidents as required.
- Works closely with the Director and/or Associate Director and the Campus Services business support staff to develop and administer annual operating budgets and plans for new business opportunities. Reviews unit financial performance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis and contributes to the development of detailed projection and financial management reports. Works with customer(s) to ensure smooth and accurate billing. Benchmarks FMO value and effectiveness against alternative service providers.
- Participates in Departmental management planning by presenting operational long- and short-term objectives to the Director and Associate Director; manages implementation of and adherence to Departmental goals and objectives.
- Performs other duties as directed, assigned, or required.
- HS Diploma or equivalent required. Minimum seven (7) years’ experience as a supervisor or manager of an effective service group in a mid to large scale operation with high standards for customer care, occupant experience, and quality of work.
- Demonstrated proficiency using various computer software systems and applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and web-based applications required.
- Must be able to understand, interpret, and enforce departmental and University policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and perform financial calculations and administrative duties.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- College degree in business or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments Evidence of significant leadership ability with a willingness to serve as an active team member.
- Excellent communication, analytical, organization and problem-solving skills Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead in a team oriented, multi-cultural, customer focused environment.
- Understanding of Harvard’s academic and administrative structures preferred.
- Preferred working knowledge or ability to communicate Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian-Creole.
Frequent standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to climb stairs and perform on-site inspection in a wide variety of building types and cleaning areas throughout the campus is required.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Operations Personnel
Campus Services Mission Statement:
To advance Harvard University’s mission of teaching and research, we partner to provide stewardship, strategies, and services that create exceptional community experiences.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website .
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
331058 Custodial Manager
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
Days off: Sunday & Saturday
Location: Harvard Law School
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Custodial Quality Assurance Program Coordinator Sr, Arizona State University, United States, 13 days ago
91539BR Campus: Tempe Program Coordinator Sr Job Description Facilities Development and Management, Facilities Management, seeks a Quality Assurance Program Coordinator Sr. to support the Program ...
Operations Coordinator Emory College Of Arts And Sciences, Emory University, United States, 15 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Facilities Services Assistant Supervisor Residential Facilities (Tempe Campus), Arizona State University, United States, 8 days ago
91555BR Campus: Tempe Facilities Svcs Asst Supvr Job Description Facilities Management, FM Residential Facilities, seeks a Facilities Services Assistant Supervisor involving both field work and ad...
Director Of Operations, Ca Center Grand (Ca Based), Arizona State University, United States, 8 days ago
91428BR Off-Campus: Los Angeles Director Job Description Arizona State University (ASU) is hiring a Director of Operations to plan, organize and direct the operations of the ASU California Center ...
Program Director Milk Bank, University of Arkansas, United States, 16 days ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view ...
Program Manager Guam, Colorado State University, United States, 2 days ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Program Manager - Guam Position Location Guam Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-person Research Professional Position Yes Postin...