Community Outreach Specialist
The Arizona State University Art Museum in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is seeking a Curator of Culture &Community Relations. Reporting to the director, the Curator of Culture &Community Relations holds the museum staff, programs, operations, and mission accountable to the communities it serves. Centering underrepresented and marginalized voices, the Curator of Culture &Community Relations leads the Museum in its efforts to learn, adapt and practice what it means to be a truly equitable museum that deploys the power of artistic expression to contribute to peoples’ wellbeing.
University Art Museum
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Depends on experience
- Lead ASU Art Museum’s Communities of Practice roles comprising community activists, scholars, students and elders to advise on exhibition development, acquisitions, programming, strategic planning and museum equity & diversity policies
- Forge partnerships within ASU and in the Greater Phoenix Valley to give greater context and meaning to the exhibitions and permanent collections we co-produce
- Develop and maintain knowledge of regional needs, relevant statistics and demographic information for all staff to learn and integrate into their work
- Build & lead a comprehensive and innovative internal equity, diversity and inclusion training and education program and hold staff accountable to EDI practices
- Establish “right” relationships with constituents to better placekeep/placemake a civic cultural organization that contributes to the social fabric of the Southwestern region
- Oversee and manage department of Co-Creation and Learning
- Contribute to development of fundraising proposals and funding applications
- Oversee evaluation of EDI projects to measure impact and inform future strategy
- Work closely with the team to ensure diverse access needs are highlighted and addressed directly throughout programs/workshops
- Leads strategic, innovative initiatives that institutionalize diversity, inclusion and equity throughout all aspects of organization operations.
- Coordinate deadlines, prioritizing work demands and assigning/monitoring work performed (based on assignments)
- Other job related duties as assigned
- This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND three years related administrative experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Museum Studies, Community Organizing or related experience
- Minimum 3 years management experience
- Progressive and successful leadership experience with a focus on diversity and inclusion.
- Advanced knowledge of museum culture, DEI and cultural competencies strategies
- Experience working with community groups and non-traditional arts audiences and events management
- Excellent interpretive, writing, presentation/public speaking, and communication skills
- Experience managing projects, gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to build trusting relationships with staff, visitors, volunteers, donors, professional colleagues, and other members of the community
- Ability to manage a budget
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, Google Suite, Basecamp and related software
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Work pressure, disturbances of work flow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are frequent and require significant adaptation.
- The performance rapidly evolves requiring continual upgrading of skills.
- Duties are performed in both the field and in an environmentally controlled museum setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing and walking, frequent physical demands include stooping, bending, reaching, lifting up to 25 pounds and pushing objects of varying weights, exposure to dust and other airborne materials, regularly required to access artwork, media and other physical items from shelves.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
- May be required to travel to off-campus sites for meetings & events requiring the use of a motorized vehicle.
- Some evening and weekend services are expected.
The Herberger Institute comprises the School of Art; School of Arts, Media and Engineering; The Sidney Poitier New American Film School; School of Music, Dance and Theatre; The Design School; and the ASU Art Museum. With 130 degree and certificate options, and programs ranked top 20 in art, design, music, theatre, digital culture, film, dance and more, plus a top university art museum, a leading immersive media facility, and national and international partnerships, the Herberger Institute is a powerhouse of art, culture and design.
Our mission is to position designers, artists, scholars and educators at the center of public life and prepare them to use their creative capacities to advance culture, build community and imaginatively address today’s most pressing challenges.
The vision of the Herberger Institute is to advance the New American University by embedding designers, artists and arts-based inquiry at its core and throughout the communities it serves locally, nationally and internationally. With 7,000+ students, mare than 700 faculty members, and 130 program options, the Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school.
As part of Arizona State University, the most innovative university in the nation, the Herberger Institute seeks to drive and scale new ways for arts and design to have impact in our world. We invite you to join our work.
• Creativity as a core 21st-century competency
• Design and the arts as critical resources for transforming our society
• Innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship
• Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaboration and research
• Social embeddedness
• Projecting all voices
Why work @ASU - https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Total compensation at ASU is defined as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support the success of our ASU students. It includes:
• Salary and wages paid
• Comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs
• Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
• ASU's total compensation estimator shows the approximate value of your overall compensation
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations and a commitment to sustainability, innovation and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market.
Flexible work options
• Alternative work schedules can include four, 10-hour workdays in a workweek; a nine-day, 80-hour schedule over two workweeks for exempt employees only; and staggered start and stop times.
• Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Richard L. Menschel Associate Curator Of Photography, Harvard University, United States, 11 days ago
21-Nov-2023 Harvard Art Museums 64418BR Job Summary The Harvard Art Museums seeks a leader in the field for the position of Richard L. Menschel Associate Curator of Photography. As a member of the...
Assistant Professor Of Teaching, Department Of Digital Arts And Creative Industries, LINGNAN UNIVERSITY, Hong Kong, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company LINGNAN UNIVERSITY Research Field Arts History Philosophy Religious sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R...
Administrative Officer, Department Of Digital Arts And Creative Industries, LINGNAN UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Lingnan University, a distinctive liberal arts institution in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is committed to the provision of quality whole-person education by combining the best of ...
Financial Services Representative (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 25 days ago
The Financial Services Representative position is a full-time employment opportunity. The Financial Services Representative advises new and continuing students with the educational funding pla...
Full Professor In Contemporary Art And Global And Social Challenges (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
24 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Utrecht University Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Appl...
Digital Solutions Manager (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, about 17 hours ago
The Digital Solutions Manager at the University of Arizona Global Campus (UAGC) bridges the divide between technology, business, and human processes. Reporting directly to the Director of Digital ...