Harvard Medical School
Position open for a Flow Cytometry Core Manager in the Department of Immunology at Harvard Medical School. This Flow Cytometry Facility actively participates in exciting research projects across multiple departments, and operates cutting-edge instruments for flow analysis and sorting. We are looking for a team player with strong cytometry as well as organizational and interpersonal skills who will work closely with facility staff and the dozens of scientists who use the Facility.
The Core Manager will:
- Scope, test, purchase and implement new Core instrumentation;
- Represent core on scientific research projects, serving as an advisor on experimental design, performance and/or analyses of complex flow cytometry experiments (including selecting appropriate fluorochrome combinations and defining operational parameters according to cell types and context);
- Analyze and evaluate identifiable factors to meet research goals (e.g. troubleshooting experiment or equipment failures);
- Provide training to researchers, faculty and students to advance knowledge of the instruments and associated software;
- Operate cell sorter instruments for investigators;
- Keep informed on trends and advancements in the field of research flow cytometry to best advise researchers and convey Core capacities to users and potential users; as appropriate to Core, seek relevant training on Core instrumentation, maintaining proficiency as technologies advance;
- Manage the operation of the facility, overseeing work by at least 2 staff members, handling scheduling and interfacing with the financial office;
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations.
- Bachelor’s in biology-related field;
- at least 3 years of flow cytometry experience in an academic, biotechnology or clinical laboratory setting.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- The successful candidate must have good communication skills to interact effectively with faculty, students, and staff;
- ability and enthusiasm to learn and implement new techniques and protocols related to flow cytometry;
- ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- and be well versed in the use of computers and software (flow cytometry-related; Microsoft Excel).
This is an in-person position based on our campus in Boston.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
USA - MA - Boston
398057 Technical Manager
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Head Flow Cytometry Tech Center, Pfizer, United States, 4 days ago
Why Patients Need You Everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to the quality and the delivery of safe and effective products to patients. Our science and risk-based c...
Research Support Associate, Anderson Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 3 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. RESEARCH SUPPORT ASSOCIATE, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research-Anderson Lab , to suppo...
Senior Research Support Associate, Irvine Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 3 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. SENIOR RESEARCH SUPPORT ASSOCIATE, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research-Irvine Lab (mult...
Senior Scientist Sickle Cell Disease; Hematology, Novartis, United States, 9 days ago
Job Description Sickle cell disease (SCD) is the most common genetic hematological disorder, accounting for over 305,000 births in 2010, with millions of people affected across the globe centraliz...
Research Technician, Bone Cell Core, Goldman School Of Dental Medicine (23500495240309), Boston University, United States, 5 days ago
The Bone Cell Core in the Department of Translational Dental Medicine, at H. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University has an opening for a full-time 40 hours/week position for a Resear...
Technical Associate I, Knouse Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 3 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, to join the laboratory of K...