Condition of Employment
As required by Executive Order 14042 , if selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination or apply for and receive a University-approved accommodation before beginning employment with the University.
Note for Current UM Employees
Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu
Definition of Class
This position plans, develops, implements, and oversees a complete fire safety program for the University of Mississippi. The incumbent assists the University community in meeting all fire codes through inspection and training, serves as liaison to state and local authorities, and supervises the activities of subordinate staff.
Examples of Work Performed
- Manages the activities of subordinate staff to ensure University facilities are inspected and comply with fire and life safety codes.
- Acts as liaison with State Fire Marshall’s Office and confers with local officials concerning fire safety issues.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive fire protection plan including inspection and training schedules.
- Provides training in fire prevention and safety.
- Conducts fire and safety inspections of University buildings and grounds; ensures the maintenance and working conditions of fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and water sources.
- Inspects venues for fire safety prior to special events.
- Coordinates fire drills, evaluates procedures and provides safety instruction to University faculty, staff, and students.
- Provides building access to emergency personnel.
- Serves as a reference source concerning building layout and construction and reviews construction plans to ensure compliance with safety and fire codes
- Stays abreast of fire related laws, codes, and policies.
- Writes reports and updates university policies and procedures related to fire issues.
- Performs related or similar duties as required or assigned.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring department.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Five (5) years of experience related to the above described duties.
State of Mississippi Special State Inspector Certificate issued by the State Fire Marshall’s office under the Mississippi Fire Prevention Code, Section 45-11-105 of Mississippi Code Ann. 1972.
Valid driver’s license
Additional Licensure and Certification Requirements:
National Certification as a Fire Inspector 1031-I within six month’s employment and earn 24 hours of continuing education annually.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges,click here
to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty, executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary ranges.
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Fire Alarm Technician (Nicet 1) Tempe Campus, Arizona State University, United States, about 13 hours ago
75609BR Campus: Tempe Fire Alarm Tech Job Description Facilities Development and Management seeks a Fire Alarm Technician to install, test, maintain, perform shutdowns, modify and repair fire alar...
Burn Crew Technician: North Carolina, NC Parks and Recreation, United States, 22 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNC Parks and RecreationLocationCliffs of the Neuse State ParkJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$...
Fire Advisor – Applied Research And Extension Serving Sonoma, Napa, And Marin Counties, California, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources, United States, 17 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUniversity of California Agriculture and Natural ResourcesLocationSonoma County, CAJob CategoryFull time Pos...
Sandhills Stewardship And Fire Program Manager, Southern Pines, Nc, The Nature Conservancy, United States, 9 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyThe Nature ConservancyLocationSouthern Pines, North CarolinaJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$60,000- $6...
Grassland Technician – Prairie Coteau – The Nature Conservancy, South Dakota, The Nature Conservancy, United States, 23 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyThe Nature ConservancyLocationClear Lake, South Dakota (SD)Job CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$13...
Burn Crew Member – Cross Ranch Preserve; The Nature Conservancy, North Dakota, The Nature Conservancy, United States, 23 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyThe Nature ConservancyLocationCenter, North Dakota (ND)Job CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$13.00 ...