|Functional Title:||Coordinator (Horticultural Consultant)|
|Category Status:||35-Exempt Contingent Category 2|
|Applicant Search Category:||Staff|
|University Authorized FTE:||0.80|
|Unit:||AGNR-UME-Home and Garden|
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
|Position Summary/Purpose of Position:||
The Home and Garden Information Center (HGIC) is a national leader in garden/landscape and pest management education and problem-solving. Master Gardeners, schools, agencies, non-profits, and residents use HGIC’s information and answers across multiple digital platforms- web pages, social media, blog, enewsletter, and YouTube. HGIC provides direct answers to residents who submit questions and photos 24/7 via the “Ask Extension” widget found on UME web pages. The Coordinator will work 32 hours per week answering questions submitted by clientele, assigning questions to Master Gardeners, and writing and reviewing content for he website and other platforms. The job location is the Central Maryland Research & Education Center/Clarksville facility.
* Bachelor’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the degree. Minimum of 5 years of experience working with garden and landscape plants, identifying plant and pest problems, and understanding the principles and practices of sustainable horticulture and integrated pest management. * This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the Criminal History Record Check.
* Bachelor’s Degree in a related field * Degree disciplines preferred in plant sciences, horticulture, botany, environmental sciences, entomology, landscape architecture, or related fields. * Work experience practicing and/or teaching plant identification and plant problem solving skills. Must be able to demonstrate or document this experience.
* Ability to work independently and to function as part of a team. * Strong oral, written, and electronic communication skills are essential. * Strong computer software skills are essential, including Microsoft Office, web search, and ability to work between platforms. * Must be able to pass a quiz on plant identification and plant problem-solving. * Master Gardener certification helpful but not required * Valid driver’s license. Must provide personal transportation for meetings and conferences. * Must obtain Pesticide Applicator and Certified Professional Horticulturist certifications from the Maryland Department of Agriculture within 18 months of hiring date.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. University benefits are offered including supplemented health benefits and a retirement stipend, along with a generous leave package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu . A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
|Job Risks||Not Applicable to This Position|
* Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards.
* Must have close visual acuity and be able to work on a computer and view monitor for 4-8 hours per day.
* Must have the ability to walk short distances.
* Must be able to drive and provide personal transportation to events or training venues.
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Best Consideration Date||07/27/2021|
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Faculty Assistant (Gis/Remote Sensing); College Park, Md, University of Maryland, United States, 12 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUniversity of MarylandLocationCollege Park, MDJob CategoryPost Doctoral AppointmentsSalaryDOELast Date to Ap...
Program Manager Iii Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 20 hours ago
Description Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Program ManagerIII to support the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch (EIDB) located in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and p...
Manager, Digital Strategy , Johns Hopkins University, United States, 17 days ago
The Marketing & Communications Department at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, DC is seeking a Digital Strategy Manager (Communications Associate). ...
Crispr/Cas9 Of Metabolic Genes In Glioma, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position Description: One Postdoctoral position is available at Neuro-Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute. My laboratory is focused on understanding the metabolic changes in brain tumors wi...
Ubiquitin Dependent Regulation Of Stem Cell Fates, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 22 hours ago
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Bethesda, MD and surrounding area Position Description: We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to study ubiquitin-depende...
Associate Director Of Gumc Stewardship, Office Of Advancement – Georgetown University, Georgetown University, United States, about 7 hours ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...