Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
General Purpose or Occupational Summary
Manage, coordinate and monitor a variety of day-to-day facility operations activities associated with the Pratt School of Engineering buildings and other Pratt facilities and resources. Working in association with the Facilities Management Department, OESO, OIT, and UEVS your work would include reporting general maintenance and upkeep issues; managing building access/security & key logs; updating signage; back dock, waste and recycling management; reviewing housekeeping operations; storage/off-site storage management; and event support. This position will assist the department in all areas of facility management, building assessments, move coordination, new hire set-ups, safety management, plus other facility operations activities working closely with Duke FMD and other Duke departments, personnel and supporting vendors. This work is almost exclusively done on site and the position is not considered a candidate for work from home or a hybrid working model.
This position reports to the Pratt School of Engineering Assistant Director of Facilities.
Facility Maintenance and Upkeep Management
- Inspect facilities and grounds daily to meet maintenance, cleanliness and set-up requirements, standards and operational fitness for building activities and school mission. Ensure classrooms and common area spaces are in the highest state of readiness. Conducts continuous space and facility inspections to uncover problems, issues and repairs.
- Submit and track the submission of work orders to Facilities Management Department (FMD) for matters of upkeep, repair, preventive and corrective maintenance. Follow up with occupants and departments assuring timely resolution of requests.
- Manage small jobs/service requests or space improvements, help with ergonomic issues, office
environment/security and office set-up by collecting requests, organizing, scheduling and completion with General Maintenance Mechanics, contractors and other vendors. Follow up with clients for timely resolution of requests. Provide daily and weekly updates to supervisor.
- Ensure work of housekeeping, FMD, recycling, grounds, IT and others regarding operational readiness goals and expectations of department and school are being met. Meet with housekeeping, grounds and recycling departments regularly to monitor progress, address concerns and resolve issues.
- Assist in the oversight and management of Pratt off-site leased space to include cleaning, waste disposal, alarm system, HVAC/MEP maintenance, security, access as assigned.
- Accessible and responsive to trouble calls, questions, issues, concerns of facility operations and management, ensuring follow-up, customer service and full resolution communicating with clients verbally and in writing.
- Create, develop and maintain a Pratt Facilities Handbook or Site Guide to serve as a department reference and for the development and enrichment of the Pratt Facilities website.
Safety & Security Management
- Assist department in all matters of safety and serve as safety resource for the school liaising with the Duke Occupational and Environmental Safety Office (OESO) to implement, develop and monitor safety programs for all Pratt spaces to meet University regulatory requirements. In collaboration with others, establish, document, and communicate standards, guidelines and procedures, including creating educational and training materials as needed.
- Assist department with updates to and dissemination of Emergency Management Plan, fire drills, egress management, signage.
- Collaborate with Duke Police on personnel security programs and information such as Facility Watch Program.
- Manage facility access and security to include the management of the locking and unlocking of Pratt facility access doors. Submit unlock door requests to the appropriate Duke department weekly and ensure requests are honored. Review building activity in 25Live and Outlook room scheduling tool to inform requests. Ensure that exterior and interior doors comply with scheduled programming.
- Manage personnel access to Pratt facilities and establish Facility Security and Access Protocols.
- Manage and issue keys – door, office, access card, furniture, file cabinet; conduct key audits and submit Key Request Forms and lock changes to Duke Key and Lock Shop as needed. Manage list of Pratt key managers.
- Point of contact for Duke and City of Durham fire safety inspections to ensure Pratt stays compliant and follows up to correct deficiencies.
- Serve as Pratt Facilities Department first responder to assist in any disaster recovery, security issue, emergency, and alarm notification during and after work hours.
Move & Resource Management
- Coordinate relocations and moves within and between Pratt facilities. Arrange movers, provide boxes, recycle, surplus, shred-it and trash receptacles and assistance as needed to facilitate move.
- Oversee move, inspect move and interview client to ensure seamless transition and set-up in new space. Coordinate with IT and other Duke departments for move.
- Follow-up that signage, directories and Web Central reflects move.
- Manage on-site and off-site resources storage to include furniture, equipment, archival resources, attic stock, surplus items, etc.; maintaining documentation and audit as required to ensure availability of resources to the school as needed.
- Coordinate and supervise set-up and take-down of building areas, equipment and furniture for special events within the School’s facilities.
Position requires some evening, weekend & holiday duties as assigned with work day generally beginning at 7am Monday-Friday and ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Work requires the ability to plan, implement and coordinate activities involved in building management, facility operations, and related ancillary operations, including database, space management, AutoCAD, or other resource management tool, and generally acquired through three years related experience and proven excellent written and verbal communications skills. Must demonstrate attention to detail, planning and organization, project coordination, prioritization, negotiation, and follow through.
Work requires organization, communication and comprehension skills generally acquired through two years post secondary education.
Work requires the ability to plan, implement and coordinate activities involved in building management and related ancillary operations generally acquired through three years related experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Eirdesignthinking, Pratt Masters Programs, United States, 25 days ago
Position ID:Duke -GSF -EIRDESIGN [#24079] Position Title: Position Type:Non-regular rank faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineering / ...
Duke University, Pratt School Of Engineering Cluster Hire In Climate And Sustainability, AcademicJobsOnline.Org, United States, 25 days ago
Position ID:Duke -MEMS -APCEEMEMS [#23462] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27701, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineerin...
Assistant Professor, Duke University, Mems Department Aero/Fluids, Aero/Fluids, United States, 25 days ago
Position ID:Duke -MEMS -APHALL [#22948] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineering ...
Assistant University Archivist For Research Services And Student Engagement, Duke University Libraries, United States, 25 days ago
Position ID:Duke -DUL -AUA [#24101] Position Title: Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Library / Special Collections Library Science Appl Deadlin...
Research Scientist, Sr., Biomedical Engineering, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Duke -BME -DUKEMCINTYRE1 [#24134, 1826] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Biomedical Engineering ...
Assistant Professor, AcademicJobsOnline.Org, United States, 25 days ago
Position ID:Duke -Humanities and Interpretive Social Sciences -ASSTPROF [#24031, 1543] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, U...