Harvard Medical School
Reporting to the Facilities Engineering Manager, the Controls Application Engineer will provide continuous evaluation and ongoing management to the HVAC and Building Automation Systems (BAS). This position requires a great deal of interaction with internal stakeholders as every person within the Facilities team plays a vital role in the successful operation of the HMS campus. The role encompasses a detailed and analytically driven framework revolving around maintaining and managing the BAS. As part of the Facilities team, the Controls Application Engineer has the unique opportunity within a dynamic environment to shape the organization’s solutions and significantly increase efficiency as it relates to the management of the HVAC systems and BAS.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Manage, review and update all aspects of the BAS (i.e. technical reviews, commissioning, reporting, etc.)
- Review BAS shop drawings for system modifications for both new and ongoing construction projects.
- Manage the technical portions of the BAS, including change evaluations, programming modifications, trending and quality control.
- Work to identify and troubleshoot controls systems problems using experience, judgement and education.
- Query the system for control points and time of day schedules that are overridden or in manual mode, identify the reason(s) for manual overrides and present a corrective action plan.
- Assist with generation of correspondence to subcontractors, engineers and architects.
- Manage the process to ensure that drawings for Harvard Medical School are constantly accurate and updated to reflect the most recent condition of the projects.
- A minimum of 3 years of responsible experience as a Facilities Management professional.
- 4-year technical degree (or 2-year technical degree with commensurate experience).
- Knowledge of maintenance/operations.
- Facilitation of communication over a complex group of stakeholders.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Thorough knowledge of HVAC sequence of operations, including strong technical background in building automation and commercial HVAC operation.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection plans and specifications.
- Proficiency in data analytics with a focus on BAS/OSI PI data trends.
- Ability to use information from the BAS and other tools to diagnose potential mechanical or controls related issues.
- Experience with or aptitude for programming of BAS control sequence modifications to derive energy savings.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Must have the ability to pass stringent background checks to gain access to BAS/data networks.
- BAS commissioning or retro-commissioning certification preferred.
- Siemens Apogee experience preferred.
- BACnet experience preferred.
- FE/E.I.T. certification preferred.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage . Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Boston
Campus Planning and Facilities
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Education, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Hvac Refrigeration Technician Ke Facilities Services, Arizona State University, United States, about 12 hours ago
91733BR Campus: Tempe HVAC Refrigeration Technician Job Description Facilities Development and Management, FM KE Facilities Services, seeks a motivated full time HVAC Refrigeration Technician to j...
Hvac Refrigeration Technician Lead Ke Facilities Services Tempe Campus, Arizona State University, United States, 8 days ago
91293BR Campus: Tempe HVAC Refrigeration Tech Lead Job Description Facilities Development and Management, Facilities Management, Knowledge Enterprise, seeks an HVAC Refrigeration Technician Lead a...
Chiller Operator L Full Time, Temporary, Emory University, United States, 14 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Assistant Professor Human In The Loop Control And Learning, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Challenge: The presence of humans as actors, sensors, or actuating agents in complex systems creates challenges in terms of unpredictability and uncertainty that cannot yet be handled adequately b...
Energy Management Specialist (Building Automations And Controls Technician) – Downtown Phoenix Campus, Arizona State University, United States, about 11 hours ago
91635BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Energy Management Spec Job Description Facilities Management, Downtown Phoenix campus, seeks an Energy Management Specialist (Building Automation and Controls Tech...
Systems/Infrastructure Specialist, University of Alberta, Canada, 3 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . Location Work primari...