The Harvard Global Health Institute (HGHI) is an interfaculty initiative that facilitates collaboration across the Harvard community and partners worldwide to advance global health equity. We tackle the greatest health challenges of our time through innovative transdisciplinary research, education, and partnerships that build knowledge and catalyze positive change in global health. Reporting to HGHI’s Communications and Events Manager, the incumbent drafts and posts content for the website, digital newsletters, social media campaigns, and print publications.
This position maintains updates to HGHI’s website and designs, generates, and distributes event calendars, monthly newsletters, social media postings, special event promotions, and other media. The Communications and Events Coordinator collaborates with team members in programs, IT, finance and administration to execute programming and to ensure that all internal and external communications consistently and accurately reflect HGHIs mission, branding and communications standards. The ideal candidate will have a background in communications, event management, and/or marketing.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Generates events calendars and special event mailers; edits all events on the institute’s website and ensures that HGHI communications standards are met. Posts events to various calendars and shares events with relevant Harvard internal and external institutions for promotional purposes.
- Maintains a content calendar for HGHI’s digital channels, translates and distills in-person and online presentations into resource-library content for the institute’s website, consults with programs team to proof resource-library content, ensures the institute’s website provides up-to-date information about events and other programs. Research and draft content for the institute’s social media accounts.
- Utilizes email marketing tools to create and maintain mailing lists to promote the institute’s programs and events to targeted audiences.
- Drafts original digital content, reviews, and updates existing content. Designs brochures and other collateral materials to be published in print and/or digital formats. Serves as point of contact for all newsletter questions.
- Writes profiles and other content for the website and publications and ensures that the institute’s editorial and style standards are met across all media.
- Drafts postings for and develops visual designs for HGHI’s social media accounts for review by the Communications and Events Manager.
- Posts event information & highlights added content generated by HGHI affiliates. Utilizes digital platforms to schedule social media postings. Drafts executive summaries of the institute’s special events, seminars & conferences. Interviews & writes short- to mid-length articles featuring the institute’s primary constituencies (faculty, students & visiting scholars/fellows). Coordinates review process by staff & subjects of original content.
- Responsible for ensuring that all digital and audiovisual content meets Harvard’s accessibility standards. Maintains HGHI’s digital asset files (e.g., images, etc.); may produce digital posters for events, short videos for social media, etc.
- Identifies issues with website functionality (events calendar & newsletter functions, program pages, people directory, social media integration, etc.) for ongoing quality assurance and version updates; provides detailed feedback to IT staff & Communications and Events Manager for troubleshooting.
- Assists the Communications and Events Manager and Programs team with the execution of virtual and in-person programs and events.
- Assists with booking speakers and contractual details, identifies and books appropriate space, plans and places catering orders, publicizes events to ensure widest engagement, manages event registration, creates materials for participants, and provides logistical support for virtual and in-person events, including conferences, seminars, workshops, and social media.
- Ensures consistently high quality of service for stakeholders. Serves as liaison with event organizers throughout the planning and execution of the event. Consults with event support services to ensure that the event runs smoothly from set up to break down.
- Works with finance and administration team on contractual, operational details, and financial procedures related to communication and events.
- Collects data used by the Communications and Events Manager for analysis of HGHI’s initiatives and reporting. Gathers data for the creation of visual campaigns.
- Maintains database of past affiliates and alumni.
- Performs other communications-related job functions as needed
3 or more years of relevant experience required. A combination of education and experience may be considered. Strong writing and editing skills.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor's Degree preferred. Exceptional written and oral communication skills and attention to detail are essential. Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment are essential. Expertise in utilizing digital tools & platforms used for creating/ posting/ managing digital content. Working knowledge Canva, Adobe InDesign, Mailchimp, and Sprout strongly preferred. Demonstrated experience creating social media and other digital content appropriate for higher education or similar business organizations. Ability to maintain professionalism and diplomacy under stress in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires the ability to collaborate with colleagues and constituents of diverse cultural backgrounds and communication styles and to tailor and adapt content for targeted audiences, as well as to work collaboratively as part of a team.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a hybrid position, and this position will be based in Cambridge, MA. This position may require occasional night or weekend work.
PLEASE NOTE: Please submit both a resume and cover letter when applying. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will also be required to submit a work sample and a writing sample.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard University supports a hybrid workplace model which will actively support some remote work. Specific days and schedules for on-site work and remote work will be discussed during the interview process. Please note hybrid workers must reside in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
403134 Coordinator I
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Manager Of Communications And Senior Writer, Arizona State University, United States, 10 days ago
97124BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Mgr Marketing +Communication Job Description Morrison Institute for Public Policy, Arizona’s leading resource for rigorous, independent policy research and analysi...
Writer, Georgetown University, United States, about 10 hours ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...
Communications & Events Associate, McGill University, Canada, 17 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Communications Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 2 hours ago
Communications Specialist Med-Computational and Systems Biology - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008735) The Department of Computational & Systems Biology (CSB) at the University of Pittsburgh Schoo...
Director Of Communications, Alumni Annual Giving And Engagement, University of Pittsburgh, United States, 11 days ago
Director of Communications, Alumni Annual Giving and Engagement PAE-Office of the Vice Chancellor - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008432) Directs marketing and communications strategies and outreac...
Internship Opportunity (6 Months): A Digital Marketing/Communication And Events Coordinator At Tech4dev, EPFL, Switzerland, about 4 hours ago
Please note that only applications meeting the criteria of the advertisement and the conditions of a tripartite internship will be considered. Do you have a first experience in digital communicati...