ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing high-quality services to students and other members of the university community. The department has an annual operating budget of over $350M, operates 24/7/365, and oversees a $3B asset portfolio comprising a 7 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus. In autumn quarter of the 2021-22 academic year, R&DE will return to providing housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serving meals at 17 dining halls, 12 retail locations, and operating athletic concessions and conference operations. Additionally, R&DE comprises 900 FTE staff in the following divisions: Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources, and Strategic Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different.
ABOUT MAINTENANCE OPERATIONS & CAPITAL PROJECTS (MCP)
This division supports all R&DE operations and provides strong stewardship of its facilities by delivering daily and preventive maintenance, executing 50-year asset renewal model, managing design and construction of capital and other essential projects, infusing sustainability, safeguarding occupational health and safety, monitoring life-safety systems and after-hours security, overseeing furnishings/fixtures and parts inventory, administering move services and the fleet, managing utilities and waste, ensuring emergency preparedness and business continuity, and providing space and property administration.
R&DE MCP seeks a Sustainability Analyst to support its sustainability goals and drive efficiency across its portfolio of buildings and operational units (student housing, dining, catering, and administration services). The candidate is responsible for providing analytic support for all sustainability projects with data-related needs and for setting an overall strategy for the collection, analysis, management, and communication of data and metrics. This individual will synthesize complex data from multiple sources into compelling stories, reports and efficiency programs.
- Perform program management activities independently including designing, communicating, compiling, and reporting program performance indicators, trends and metrics to various organizations and stakeholders.
- Create and make presentations to showcase results, savings, and progress on all program aspects.
- Manage program budget, 3rd party vendors and contractors.
- Represent Stanford in industry and community events.
- May manage junior staff or student interns.
- Analytical Program Management roles include: managing the data collection and reporting process for surveys, reports, and publications; managing the analysis of campus sustainability performance and cases for various third party evaluations and surveys; managing various data-driven assessment projects for campus buildings, maintaining communication and outreach related to these programs; and designing, communicating, compiling, and reporting key sustainability performance indicators, trends and metrics to various organizations and stakeholders.
- Outreach Program Management roles include: designing, planning and delivering campus education and training components of sustainability programs and services, raising campus awareness of sustainability goals and practices; managing schools’ and departments’ coordination for increasing the adoption of sustainability programs and services; managing sustainability publications, collateral, website and other online presentation; sourcing and coordinating external sustainability publicity and promotional opportunities; and submitting proposals for national and regional conferences.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
ADDITIONAL CORE DUTIES:
- Collect, manage, and ensure the quality and integrity of data from multiple university partners, external vendors, and sources [e.g., energy, water, purchasing, food, transportation, waste, occupancy, temperature, weather, student survey results and maintenance work orders].
- Develop and manage data pipelines that source, centralize, analyze, and enhance the quality of data.
- Brings today’s best practices from artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science to bear on campus sustainability opportunities, to generate new insights into familiar challenges.
- Ensure efficient and integrated data collection processes and development of robust reporting and analytics.
- Manage the development of a sustainability analytics database.
- Support the use of the campus as a testbed for innovation, and work with faculty, students, and staff to enhance campus-based applied sustainability research; supervise research assistants and/or interns as needed.
- Support the adoption of software programs, tools and sensors that enhance data aggregation, integrity, reporting, and visualization.
- Manage relationships with vendors associated with data collection or management.
- Develop sustainability financial reporting templates and perform cost analyses where appropriate to support new operational decision making
- Translate complex data into compelling stories and visual representations.
- Serve as a content expert on sustainability data and environmental performance metrics.
- Ensure data accuracy through continuous audits and data cleaning techniques.
- Communicate regularly with facility managers and occupants to convey progress on sustainability indicators and programs.
- Manage programs as assigned including R&DE’s Ecobee thermostat and AWAIR program.
- Collaborate closely with University and R&DE IT to ensure software programs and program components communicate correctly and are compliant with security requirements.
- Develop, distribute, and analyze survey results.
- Continuously evaluate and improve service, cost, and efficiency in a proactive basis.
- Support all programs in the MCP Sustainability and Utility office as needed, such as those aimed at reducing waste, energy, water, and green cleaning.
- Ability to participate in diverse and inclusive work teams toward common vision or goal(s); establishes oneself as an essential team contributor.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with higher education organizational and operational structures with the ability to objectively think through initiatives’ impact in an institutional setting.
- Knowledge and clear understanding of green building practices, sustainability opportunities and the technical expertise for addressing such concerns.
- Ability to manage a complex and often competing set of priorities in a high-pressure, results-oriented environment.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral (including proofreading) and ability to use sound judgment in following policies and procedures, using creativity to solve problems.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of spreadsheets, database programs, and word processing programs and basic-intermediate skills in creative programs suits (Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and/or Photoshop).
- Experience with data management, analytics, and statistical programming languages. Working knowledge of Python (preferred) or “R”.
- Proven ability to create compelling data visualizations.
- Experience working with energy and/or sustainability metrics.
- Proven ability to deliver results and translate qualitative actions into quantitative impact.
- Persuasive style and motivational skills that drive participation across a large population of stakeholders.
- Innovative, iterative mindset to tackle problematic materials and areas for behavioral, design and technological improvement.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with diverse audiences; ability to explain technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills, with the ability to support multiple projects of various types at different stages with an emphasis on accuracy and meeting milestones and deadlines.
- Good balance of initiative and results, with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Sound project management skill to translate ideas into action and deliver results to stakeholders.
- Demonstrates effective emotional intelligence, especially in situations with time constraints.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sitting, perform desk-based computer tasks, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stand/walk, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely kneel, crawl, climb ladders, reach/work above shoulder, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, write by hand, sort and file paperwork or parts, operate foot and/or hand controls, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh 40 pounds or more.
- Ability to maintain a valid non-commercial California Driver's license.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Must wear personal protective equipment as defined/required by job assignments.
- Work on weekends and evenings.
- Work involves long hours of standing and sustained communications/dialogue.
- May work in mechanical equipment rooms, kitchens, waste management areas, construction sites.
- Travel, local and non-local.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford’s colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
“This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to the worksite. Telecommute is not an option for this role.”
Founding Dean, Stanford University, United States, 18 days ago
Stanford University Founding Dean Stanford University invites applications and nominations for the position of Founding Dean of a School focused on climate and sustainability. The mission of the S...
Laboratory Manager Jacobs Wagner Lab, HHMI, United States, about 20 hours ago
Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently seeking a highly motivated Lab Manager to mana...
Assistant, Associate, Or Full Professor Of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford University, United States, 13 days ago
The Department of Biomedical Data Science at Stanford University is recruiting a new faculty member at the Assistant, Associate or Full Professor level to contribute to the research and educationa...
Food And Agriculture Program Coordinator Spur, University of Washington, United States, 27 days ago
Description: About SPUR SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and p...
Simultaneous Spinal Cord Brain F Mri, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 5 hours ago
Stanford University, Systems Neuroscience & Pain Laboratory, Stanford, California Position Description: Systems Neuroscience & Pain Laboratory at Stanford University (SNAPL) is actively recruiting...
Senior Director Of Development For The College Of Engineering (Apply Via Dearch Firm), The California State University, United States, 4 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 505620 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 11, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: h...