College Counseling Instructor (general) Apply now to College Counseling Instructor (general)
- Unex-Education / Continuing Education / UCLA
Position title: Instructor
Salary range: $3000 per course, quarterly
Open date: September 1, 2023
Most recent review date: Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCLA Extension is considered one of the top programs of its kind, offering to more than 35,000 students per year approximately 4,500 classes and non-degree certificate programs to meet the professional development, continuing education, and personal enrichment needs of the full spectrum of nontraditional students as well as companies and organizations throughout and beyond the Los Angeles region.
Course / Program Description
UCLA Extension is the open-access, self-supporting continuing education division of UCLA. The seven-course College Counseling Certificate is designed for teachers, career & school-based counselors, admissions personnel, and other professionals who want to develop their professional competencies or are interested in establishing an independent college counseling practice. This program is also ideal for college admissions professionals who want to help high school students identify post-secondary options. This certificate program is offered 100% online, is deadline-driven, and asynchronous. The courses and certificate programs offer our students the opportunity to learn from highly qualified practitioners who are passionate about teaching.
The Education, Humanities, and Social Sciences Department at UCLA Extension has a special interest in preparing educators to be teachers, counselors, and leaders in their fields on issues of social justice and education inequities. Through our courses, we hope that students will improve teaching and learning, promote educational achievement for all students, create culturally responsive learning environments, and advocate for quality educational access in all communities.
Qualified applicants possessing current knowledge of the US college admissions landscape, college access, and the college application process are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in applicants who are familiar with: post-secondary career education, testing assessments & SAT/ACT testing landscape, and the field of independent educational consulting. Interviews will only be scheduled with qualified applicants who can fill anticipated openings.
For a sense of the depth and breadth of our course offerings, visit https://www.uclaextension.edu/education/higher-education-adult-educators/certificate/college-counseling
We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in this industry who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for students.
Course topics include:
- The College Admissions Process
- Financial Aid Fundamentals
- Testing and Career Assessment
- The Business of Educational Consulting
- Preparing Community College Students for Transfer
- College Counseling for International Students
- Special Topics in College Counseling
Specific Instructor Duties:
- Develop or update course syllabus to meet campus approval requirements, in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director
- Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives, and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
- Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
- Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
- Design interactive and motivational instructional activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
- Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: professional journals and publications)
General Employment Information
Employment as a UCLA Extension Instructor is dictated by contract terms and conditions. Please take the time to read the UCLA Extension Instructor Employment Policies .
For information on UCLA Extension instructor benefits, please visit Pay, Benefits, & Privileges .
Access, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AEDI) is one of UCLA Extension’s guiding principles. We strive to extend access to UCLA, our programs, and services to underrepresented communities and populations, while serving as a model organization for AEDI in the field of continuing higher education. Committed to attracting and retaining diverse staff & instructors, UCLA Extension welcomes your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Please visit our website dedicated to our AEDI efforts as an organization: Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion @ UNEX .
Instructor Resources: https://instructor.uclaextension.edu/
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Extensive work and experience in the fields of: college & university admissions, high school counseling, and/or independent college advising
- Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
- Master’s degree in education, higher education administration, or other related area
- Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools, such as Canvas
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
- Current participation in professional associations
Curriculum Vitae / Resume - Your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
References will be conducted through SkillSurvey 3rd party service.Apply link: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF08797
Help contact: email@example.com
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.
Los Angeles, CA
Apply now to College Counseling Instructor (general) or
Log in to your portfolio
Need help? Contact the hiring department .
The University of California, Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. You have the right to an equal employment opportunity .
For more information about your rights, see the EEO is the Law Supplement
The University of California, Los Angeles is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities .
See our Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act Annual Security Reports
Academic RECRUIT Personnel System
University of California, Los Angeles
© 2007-2023 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Digital Presentation For Interior Design Instructor, University of California Los Angeles, United States, 5 days ago
Details Posted: 26-Nov-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Arts/Humanities Internal Number: 4815716 Digital Presentation for Interior Des...
Associate Dean For Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion And Chief People Officer, University of California Los Angeles, United States, about 21 hours ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Dean Executive Internal Number: 4827636 Associate Dean for Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion and C...
Temporary Mathematics Educator, University of California Los Angeles, United States, 12 days ago
Details Posted: 20-Nov-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Mathematics/Statistics Internal Number: 4804239 Temporary Mathematics Educator...
Director Of The Global Education Office, University of California Los Angeles, United States, about 22 hours ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Multicultural Affairs Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4829547 Director of the Global Educ...
Teacher, University of California Los Angeles, United States, about 22 hours ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Child Care Services Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4827628 Teacher University of Califor...
Communications Specialist, University of California Los Angeles, United States, about 23 hours ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Los Angeles, California Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations/Communications Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 482...