Collections Svcs Coord
ASU Library seeks a collaborative, service-oriented Collections Services Coordinator for Specialized Collections to support access to specialized collections, which include archives, manuscripts, and rare books. Under the direction of the Conservator and in collaboration with the Reading Room Supervisor, the Specialized Collections Services Coordinator will assist in supporting the operations of the Wurzburger Reading Room in Hayden Library and provision of reference services through Ask-an-Archivist. The Specialized Collections Services Coordinator will also coordinate additional projects and ongoing workflows associated with the Conservation lab.
Using a team-based approach to problem-solving, the Specialized Collections Coordinator actively contributes to effective workflows, processes, practices, and cross-library communication. It is expected that this position will work closely with the Conservator, Reading Room Supervisor, Reformatting Project Manager, and other stakeholders in order to contribute to continuous process improvements related to preserving and providing access to ASU Library collections.
Library & Museum
Collections Care Preservation
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$44,100 per year
- Collaborates in providing welcoming and inclusive services in the Wurzburger Reading Room as scheduled; responds to general reference questions and access requests through Ask-an-Archivist, and triages tickets in consultation with appropriate stakeholders.
- Coordinates shelving, retrieval, and inventory control for specialized collections in secure storage areas; coordinates receiving and return of materials between the Wurzburger Reading Room, Conservation lab, and other areas as assigned.
- Promotes safe handling and use of collections, and guides patrons and other staff in best practices; takes appropriate measures to safeguard collections within the Reading Room and other storage areas.
- Assists with projects to protect and preserve collections under the direction of the Conservator.
- Identifies, evaluates, and prepares materials to send to outsourced vendors for commercial binding and other outsourced preservation services; may coordinate shipments of collections materials to other outsourced vendors and grant project partners.
- Provides support for preservation assessment, physical preparation and mounting for display, and transportation of collection materials requested for exhibits, events, and loans.
- Performs a variety of maintenance and organization activities to provide for the ongoing order and cleanliness of the Conservation lab.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree AND four (4) years prior library experience OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Valid State of AZ Drivers License.
- Experience working in a special collections or archives department, including handling, transporting, rehousing, and/or shelving archival collections or special collections materials. (1 year)
- Experience creating and updating data in a library information system or platform (Ex. Libris Alma preferred).
- Experience triaging, researching, and responding to reference questions, including using a ticketing system such as LibAnswers.
- Experience engaging with initiatives as they relate to issues of diversity, inclusion, and access.
- Demonstrated knowledge of collection care best practices for books and paper-based materials in the context of a research library collection that includes both circulating and non-circulating materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in providing access to rare books, special collections, and archives.
- Evidence of a valid State of Arizona driver’s license.
- Activities are performed in an archival environmentally controlled facility and in climate controlled office settings subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking.
- Frequent physical demands include bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 40 pounds, and pushing objects of varying weights up to 200 pounds; exposure to dust and other airborne materials; periodic use of bins of varying sizes and weights.
- Regular activities require the ability to quickly change priorities that may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- May oversee assignments to student workers to ensure timely completion and/or to provide guidance or assistance to questions
A center of energy, imagination and innovation, the ASU Library is home to nine library facilities across five ASU campus locations – providing students and faculty access to millions of information resources, learning assets, world-class collections, outstanding study spaces, advanced data centers and a suite of makerspaces. Serving as a critical gateway to ASU’s research and knowledge enterprise, the ASU Library works to collaborate, educate and innovate across disciplines, communities and technologies, while leveraging key research, learning and engagement opportunities that are unique to ASU. A strong supporter of student success and a critical partner in realizing the New American University mission of access, excellence and impact, the ASU Library is a space of potentiality, out of which many futures can be built and of which none are excluded. More information about the library can be found at lib.asu.edu .
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Special Collections Librarian And Archivist, Harvard University, United States, 9 days ago
27-Nov-2023 Harvard College Library 64421BR Job Summary Although this position will remain posted until filled, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by end of day on February 5, 2024. Harva...
Financial Services Representative (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 24 days ago
The Financial Services Representative position is a full-time employment opportunity. The Financial Services Representative advises new and continuing students with the educational funding pla...
Transcript Administrator, The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 9 days ago
The Transcript Administrator position is a full-time employment opportunity supporting UAGC’s Office of the Registrar. Reporting to the Transcript Administration Manager, the Transcript Administra...
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, about 10 hours ago
The Accounts Receivable Coordinator position is a full-time employment opportunity reporting to the Accounts Receivable Manager . The Accounts Receivable (A/R) Coordinator will work with the A/R t...
Systems Administrator Iv, The University of Arizona, United States, 1 day ago
Sign In Create Profile Systems Administrator IV United States | req18537 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Systems Administrator IV Posting Number req18537 Department Infrastructure Services...
Cloud Computing Engineer Iii, The University of Arizona, United States, 9 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Cloud Computing Engineer III United States | req18390 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Cloud Computing Engineer III Posting Number req18390 Department Infrastructure ...