- Colorado Natural Heritage Program/Colorado State University
- Fort Collins, CO
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- Crew leads: $20-21/hr. Technicians $17-19/hr. Depending on experience and position. ~$60.00/day per diem & gear reimbursement when traveling beyond base location. Total reimbursement = $395-455/two-week hitch. Health insurance, retirement, paid federal holidays, and sick leave provided.
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- In partnership with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), the Colorado Natural Heritage Program (CNHP) is seeking experienced field technicians to collect wetland monitoring data through BLM’s Riparian & Wetland Assessment, Inventory and Monitoring (AIM) Program. Successful applicants will be trained in the methods by Wetland Ecologists from CNHP and BLM’s National Operations Center and will spend the summer applying the protocol in wetlands and riparian areas on BLM lands throughout Colorado and Wyoming. Quantitative vegetation data will be collected using the line-point intercept (LPI) method. Additional data collection will include soils, hydrology, water quality, and surrounding land use. All technicians must be available for the weeklong training May 22-27, 2023 in Rawlins, WY. Four field teams of three technicians each will be hired (1 Crew Lead and 2 Technicians per crew). All teams will be stationed in Fort Collins, CO. Crews will spend 4 to 8 days in a row in the field, often camping on BLM land away from their base location. The typical hitch schedule during the field season is 8 days on with 6 days off. All teams will travel extensively across their base state (CO or WY), collecting data in a wide variety of settings. Field Protocol can be found here: DRAFT Field Protocol for Lentic Riparian and Wetland Systems. Crew Lead positions may start up to 2 weeks in advance of the field season (estimated start date is May 1) to plan field season logistics. The Crew Lead will be responsible for supporting and managing crew safety and wellbeing, coordinating field logistics and scheduling, managing the crew’s equipment, and completing administrative paperwork. Before, during, and after field data collection, the Crew Lead will be responsible for the organization and quality control of all data collected using iPad tablets and occasional paper forms. To apply email resume, cover letter, and three references (please include both phone number and email contact information for references) to Alexa Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate if you would like to be considered for the Crew Lead position and which state you would prefer to work in. In addition to Colorado and Wyoming, CNHP will also be managing crews in California and Utah. To view all open positions at CNHP, please visit: https://cnhp.colostate.edu/aboutus/careers/employment/
- 1. Coursework in botany, ecology, natural resources, range management, or related field preferred for all positions. A completed B.S. degree is preferred for all positions and required for Crew Leads. 2. Field experience collecting scientific data, specifically vegetation sampling, soil profile descriptions, water quality sampling, and/or other environmental data preferred for all positions. Knowledge of wetland ecology and experience working in wetlands and/or riparian areas is a plus. 3. Previous experience working on a BLM Assessment, Inventory and Monitoring (AIM) crew (Terrestrial, Lotic, or Riparian & Wetland AIM) preferred, especially for Crew Leads. 4. Experience using dichotomous botanical keys and field guides, familiarity with the major plant families, and knowledge of western flora and/or wetland species preferred. 5. Experience with aerial photography (Google Earth), navigating with a topographic map, and use of GPS preferred for all positions and required for Crew Leads. Experience with ArcGIS preferred for Crew Leads, but not required. 6. Willingness and ability to work long hours and unusual schedules, travel extensively during the field season, car camp, and hike long distances (up to 6+ miles/day) over steep and rocky terrain while carrying a heavy pack (up to 40 lbs) required for all positions. 7. Willingness and ability to work with a positive attitude in field conditions that include exposure to inclement weather, rugged terrain, hot or cold weather (30–110° F), mosquitos, and poisonous plants, all while maintaining a strong commitment to team safety required for all positions. 8. Careful attention to detail and strong written and organizational skills to complete lengthy field forms required for all positions. Experience collecting data electronically using tablets or other devices preferred for all positions. 9. Strong oral communication skills for professional interactions with BLM staff and private landowners required for all positions. 10. A valid driver’s license is required for all positions. Experience driving 4x4 vehicles on rough roads preferred. 11. Wilderness First Aid or other field safety training preferred for all positions.
- Contact Person
- Alexa Armstrong
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Forest Health Technician Rai, Colorado State University, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Forest Health Technician - RAI Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-person Research Professional...
44 23 Extension County Specialist, 4 H Youth Development, Larimer County, Colorado State University, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title 44-23 Extension County Specialist, 4-H Youth Development, Larimer County Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position qualifie...
Research Associate Iii Team Scientist, Colorado State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Research Associate III Team Scientist Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position qualifies for hybrid/in-office work Researc...
47 23 Extension County Specialist, Agriculture, Larimer County, Colorado State University, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title 47-23 Extension County Specialist, Agriculture, Larimer County Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position qualifies for hybr...
Assistant Director Of Academic Year Counseling Services, Colorado State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Assistant Director of Academic Year Counseling Services Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-per...
Research Associate I / Ii Indoor Environment, Colorado State University, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Research Associate I / II - Indoor Environment Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-person Resea...