Medical Assistants provide clinical support, assist with administrative tasks, and provide general support in an ambulatory setting under the
direction or supervision of the patient’s physician or LIP/RN designee in accordance with policy, procedure and competency to promote
patient health and wellness. Duties may include: patient care, vital signs, assisting licensed health care professionals, performing
various laboratory tests, quality control indicators, and clinical intake.
This position requires providing service to all age populations in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the
functional/developmental age of the individual served
- Assists in assuring effective and efficient clinic operations while maintaining consistent and accurate communication with team members, referring providers, and patients.
- Assists with data collection for physical, psychological, social, and cultural dimensions of patients according to professional practice standards and institutional policy/procedure.
- Completes standardized rooming and performs clinical intake, data collection, and documentation.
- As directed and in accordance with documented competencies, provides clinical support to licensed healthcare professionals during examinations and procedures. Clinical support services include but are not limited to preparing laboratory specimens, performing testing (i.e. point of care testing, CLIA waived testing ECG/EKG, spirometry, venipuncture/phlebotomy, specimen collection, etc.), appropriate cleaning and sterilization of instruments/equipment and rooms, disposing of contaminated supplies, performing wound care, administering medications.
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work assignments to support patient needs, the interdisciplinary team, and operational efficiency.
- Implements age-appropriate interventions based on individual patient needs as directed by the Health Care Provider (HCP).
- Reinforces patient/family teaching plan based on identified health education needs and the condition and age of the patient through approved educational materials or written instructions.
- Provides for a safe environment and safe delivery of care.
- Maintains supplies and equipment.
- Document and capture charges for clinical support services rendered within the patient visit.
- Performs administrative support responsibilities. As directed and in accordance with documented competencies, provides administrative support to licensed healthcare professionals. Administrative support services include but are not limited to draft letters and/or assist with completion of forms, facilitate scheduling, pend medication refills, assist with coverage of in basket messaging, assist with clinic/chart prep.
- Demonstrates teamwork in the delivery of patient care. Recognizes the importance of time sensitive issues.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development of self and others according to departmental policy.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Graduation from a Medical Assistant Program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is or Military Medical Specialist with twenty-four months experience and eligible for certification or registration.
Experience: preferred, not required.
Certification/Registration: Current Medical Assistant Certification through a recognized national professional association such as the AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants), the AMT (American Medical Technologists), NAHP (The National Association of Healthcare Professions), the ARMA (American Registry of Medical Assistants), or the NHA (National Healthcare Association). Credentials must be obtained within 6 months from the date of hire. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification is required with hire.
The job requires standing for prolonged periods and frequently bending/stooping/traveling. Ability to lift/push/pull 20 – 50lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, i ncluding the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Ambulatory Paramedic Dermatology, University of Washington, United States, 12 days ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary Provides high level, advanced medical care to patients under defined medical control policies. Provides direct patient care and education for patients receiving...
Rn Staff Nurse Ii Dermatology (Coh), University of Washington, United States, 5 days ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary Our Staff Nurses provide direct care and education for patients receiving treatments, examinations, within a clinical specialty physician office/clinic. Washing...
Registered Medical Assistant Iii Neurology, University of Washington, United States, 11 days ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary Position leads the work of Medical Assistants in the clinical operation of a patient care setting; this position leads the work of Medical Assistants I and II, ...
Rn Infusion Nurse I ($5000 Sign On Bonus) Multispecialty, University of Washington, United States, about 9 hours ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary We are seeking a Registered Nurse with exceptional IV skills who would enjoy working in a clinic setting administering atypical infusions in our Outpatient Mult...
Associate Director Clinical Operations Department Of Medicine Multispecialty Clinics, University of Washington, United States, about 10 hours ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary Position directs and coordinates operations in support of clinical operations leadership to ensure seamless integration of clinical activities through planning,...
Rn Infusion Nurse I ($5000 Sign On Bonus) Outpatient Cancer Center, University of Washington, United States, about 10 hours ago
Scheduled Hours 40 Position Summary Position provides direct patient care and education for the Oncology outpatient population, including the Bone Marrow Transplant and Hematology patient populati...