The Division of Comparative Medicine (DCM) at Washington University is seeking a board-certified or board-eligible laboratory animal veterinarian. This is an excellent career opportunity to join a team of 9 veterinarians, including a board-certified pathologist and over 200 support staff, in a stimulating academic environment in St. Louis, Missouri. The University has an outstanding history of biomedical research, public and private funding, and provides an environment that recruits and cultivates the best minds in science and medicine. The successful candidate will contribute to health monitoring and preventative, clinical, and emergency veterinary medical care of the laboratory animals in this robust, expanding biomedical research program. Additional responsibilities include consultations with principal investigators regarding research protocols and animal model development and review of study protocols for the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. Washington University is a world-class, AAALAC-accredited institution and one of the largest recipients of NIH funding with over 400,000 sq ft of animal research and support areas, including a state-of-the-art neuroscience building with a planned opening in 2023. In addition to operating more than twelve vivaria, the program maintains a diverse population of animal species that span many areas of cutting edge research, with a strong emphasis on translational applications, including ABSL3, cardiovascular, neuroscience, gnotobiotics and much more.
This position requires participation in emergency care after hours, i.e. weekends and holidays on a rotating schedule with other veterinary staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides veterinary medical care to research animals.
- Maintains regulatory compliance, including but not limited to: protocol review, IACUC participation, and training of investigative staff.
- Assists with facility management within their assigned facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- One to three years of experience serving as a laboratory animal veterinarian.
- Eligible for licensure to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Missouri.
- Diplomat of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM).
- Accreditation by the USDA.
- Broad knowledge of laboratory animal health/medicine, diagnostics, pathology, treatment, surgical procedures, and clinical care of a wide variety of research animal species.
- Demonstrated decision making skills with ability to work meeting goals and deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with principal investigators, research staff, veterinary staff, veterinary technicians and husbandry staff.
- Strong knowledge of all applicable federal regulations, standards, and guidelines for all vertebrate animals used in teaching and research, including familiarity with AAALAC-International accreditation standards, as demonstrated in work history and credentials.
- Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and organization skills.
- Proficiency, knowledge and experience with computers and Microsoft Office Suite tools, including Outlook, Excel, Access, etc.
- Candidates must hold a DVM or equivalent degree from an AVMA Council on Education accredited veterinary college or school.
- Board-eligible to be a Diplomat of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM).
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University’s policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two “Quick Apply” options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the “Quick Apply” page by clicking “Next” at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a Linkedin feature, which allows you to apply by using your Linkedin profile to populate some of the job application fields.
Research Intern Krueger Lab, Washington State University, United States, about 21 hours ago
Title: 1457-YN - Research Intern Business Title: Research Intern-Krueger Lab Additional Titles: Location: INNOVATE WASHINGTON BUILDING Employee Type: Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term) Job Famil...
Graphic Designer, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Graphic Designer Posting Number 2022074CP Position Information Classification Title Graphic Designer Classification Code 198F RCW Exemption Criteria N...
Assistant Professor Computer Science, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Assistant Professor - Computer Science Posting Number 2022043FP Position Information Classification Title Assistant Professor Classification Code 8003...
Senior University Budget Financial Analyst, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Title Senior University Budget Financial Analyst Posting Number 2022092EP Position Information Classification Title Sr Budget Financial Analyst Working Tit...
Program Coordinator School Of Education, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Program Coordinator - School of Education Posting Number 2022077CP Position Information Classification Title Program Coordinator Classification Code 1...
Assistant Professor Mechanical Engineering & Technology Advanced Manufacturing, Eastern Washington University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Working Title Assistant Professor - Mechanical Engineering & Technology - Advanced Manufacturing Posting Number 2022045FP Position Information Classification Title...