School/Unit Description: The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the center of a world-class liberal arts education at Stanford University. H&S encompasses 23 departments—from Art and Art History, English, and History to Economics, Mathematics, and Biology—as well as 23 interdisciplinary programs. As the university’s largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Graduate students work alongside world-renowned faculty to pursue and shape foundational research that leads to breakthroughs and discoveries that shed new light on the past, influence the present, and shape the future. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.
Position Summary: The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is seeking an Associate Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The Associate Director will work under general supervision of the Chief Human Resources Office for H&S and will be responsible for consulting, facilitating and integrating diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives across H&S.The position will serve as a strategic partner within the H&S Dean’s Office and will be responsible for partnering with our departments and programs to increase inclusion and belonging.
- As a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) subject matter expert (SME), foster an inclusive, equitable culture by contributing perspective, insights, and knowledge; take a balanced consultative and systemic approach to support and enable staff leadership at to lead DEI culture change across H&S.
- Drive DEI goal attainment through program management and defined project plans; manage implementation activities, and develop processes, documentation and communications for program/process rollout and ongoing support.
- Lead the development and implementation of a school-wide training and development agenda to improve the overall cultural competence within H&S.
- Partner with other DEI staff within the school and university on the creation and sustained delivery of proactive educational initiatives focused on issues of diversity and inclusion, with a focus on unconscious bias and micro-aggressions.
- Leverage quantitative and qualitative data in partnership with university partners to identify opportunities for growth, promote adoption of inclusive practices, and communicate insights and recommendations to drive and influence DEI efforts across H&S.
- Develop and measure success criteria to assess value impact to include but not limited to: diversity and inclusion, talent acquisition, development, engagement, and retention.
If you believe that this opportunity is a match for your knowledge, skills and abilities, we encourage you to apply. Thank you for considering employment opportunities with the School of Humanities and Sciences.
Note: This is a two-year fixed-term position
In this role, you will:
- Lead the planning and operations for programs or functions that have significant business, regulatory and/or technical challenges requiring subject matter expertise.
- Evaluate programs or functions, policies and procedures. Identify issues, and develop alternative solutions which may include changes to programs, policies and procedures.
- Review and analyze trends to advise and develop recommendations to achieve or modify the goals of the program or function.
- Represent the program or function within the department, unit or school by committing resources and provide information and/or training. Represent the program or function at the university level and/or to external/internal stakeholders and constituencies.
- Manage and contribute e to the development of outreach strategy that may include relationship development, communications and compliance.
- May develop and/or oversee budgets; manage finances including monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting.
- Assess training needs and may develop associated training.
- May direct and/or supervise staff.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness.
- Demonstrated creativity, problem solving, critical analysis, initiative, judgment and, decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet budget goals.
- Demonstrated solid planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong relevant subject matter knowledge.
- Ability to direct the work of others, for jobs requiring supervision.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Proven experience in DEI focus with strategy development, change management and project management.
- Experience drawing insights from metrics/analytics to inform decision-making and develop meaningful goals.
- Experience in developing and executing diversity programs in an organization.
- Work collaboratively with senior leaders and managers across the organization to drive change and commitment to DEI programs and initiatives.
- Strong comprehension skills for understanding needs and concerns and developing and applying solutions.
- Ability to create strategies, implement innovative solutions to improve results.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research Specialist Kingsley Lab, HHMI, United States, about 17 hours ago
Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently looking for a highly talented, resourceful Res...
Research Technician Bergmann Lab, HHMI, United States, about 17 hours ago
Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, scientifically cu...
Biosafety Officer, The California State University, United States, 19 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499319 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 29, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...
Computer Analyst/It Professional Neural Data Analyses, HHMI, United States, about 17 hours ago
Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently looking for a goal-oriented, proactive Compute...
Associate Director For Custodial, Grounds, Recycling & Moving Services, The California State University, United States, 20 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499431 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 26, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: htt...
Instructional Designer, The California State University, United States, 14 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 499751 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 2, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Lin...