About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The registered professional nurse integrates and practices according to the City of Hope Professional Practice Model to deliver care service excellence. In alignment with City of Hope mission and values, the Division of Nursing and Patient Care Services vision and mission, and with continuous focus on the patient, family and community, carries out the nursing process, coordinates interdisciplinary care planning, documents according to standards, including validation of the patient and caregiver’s understanding of the plan of care and expected outcomes. The nurse is a change agent, committed to lifelong learning, professional development and embodiment of City of Hope organizational mission and values, and the values and ethos of the profession of nursing.
Understands and applies the City of Hope Code of Conduct, Code of Organizational Ethics, policies, procedures, performance and quality improvement objectives, promotion of a culture of service excellence, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines. Maintains integrity and confidentiality.
Accepts the tenets of professional nursing practice and maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships. (Manthey, 1969, 2014; Kouloroutis 2004, 2009; O’Rourke, 2013)
• Responsibility, Authority and Accountability
• Commitment to my Coworkers©
• Role Based Practice
Demonstrates competent understanding of and application of
• The Swanson Model of Caring and Healing© (Kristen Swanson, 2013 [used with permission])
• The City of Hope Quality of Life Model (Ferrell prc.coh.org)
Demonstrates competent application of the nursing process according to the Role Based Practice model:
• Diagnosis / condition
• Plan of care
• Teach / Inform
• Dynamic interaction (circularity) among steps a – f
• Assess patient level of stability and interrelatedness of direct and indirect RN provided care / dose of care
• Care Coordination
Demonstrates a high level of professional practice which supports the delivery of care excellence, extraordinary outcomes for our patients, families and communities, and fosters collaboration and teamwork to achieve positive working relationships with all nurses, advanced practice providers, physicians, allied health and support staff members, with attention to self-care and healthy work / life balance.
• Consults and collaborates with other disciplines to modify the plan of care as necessary and to ensure optimal patient care and outcomes
• Assists members of the health care team with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care.
• Administers and controls medications and infusions, including narcotics, chemotherapy and biologic therapies, blood component transfusions, etc.
• The professional registered nurse maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families.
• Demonstrates competent assessment of patient and family including an assessment of healthcare literacy and identification of factors within the domains of the City of Hope Quality of Life model, which may impact the patient’s ability to comprehend and internalize patient education. The professional registered nurse intervenes to facilitate understanding, address and minimize or eliminate barriers and to provide patient – centered education which is accessible and meaningful to the patient.
• The professional registered nurse
• Employs the “teach back” method to validate the patient’s understanding of education.
• Includes the designated caregiver in the patient / family education.
• Is encouraged to recognize that we are part of many communities and, as a professional role responsibility, to participate in the education of our communities about health, wellness, prevention and continuum of care issues relevant to the communities.
• Uses evidence-based practice and best available research to inform practice
• Enhances professional growth and development
• Participates in unit based projects and activities, staff meetings, councils, work teams
• Reviews current literature, attends educational programs, workshops and inservices
• Actively participates in shared decision-making / participative leadership through councils, committees, work teams, task forces, and unit-based practice councils.
• The professional registered nurse is committed to lifelong learning, and as such, is encouraged to continually pursue education, both formal and informal, to achieve and exceed the minimum expected level of education for the professional registered nurse (the Bachelor’s degree). The registered professional nurse is also required by California state law to attend continuing professional education to maintain licensure and City of Hope encourages nurses to pursue all venues of nursing and other intellectual enrichment.
• Precepts new RNs and nursing students in exemplary professional practice
• Mentors and coach’s new and existing RN staff and ancillary support staff
• Functions in Charge RN role
• Strives to provide excellence in patient and staff experience
• Uses systems, electronic and other documentation according to standards and organizational policy and procedure to ensure and maintain an accurate record of nursing care.
• Effectively uses and applies information technology to give and receive information (e.g. email, basic Microsoft Office applications, LMS (learning management systems) access, information on Share point or other web-based applications).
• Maintains professional portfolio, per clinical ladder requirements
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- If hired before May 1, 2012: Graduate from nursing school with a diploma, Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing. If hired after May 1, 2012, Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree in Nursing is required.
- 3 years’ experience in an acute care setting and/or outpatient setting
- Current California RN license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Oncology, Hematology or Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)
- OCN certification preferred
- Shift: Days: 8Hour Shifts
- Status: Full Time
- Department: Women's Center
- Please complete all requested information and download copies of your resume, certifications, and license under the “attachments” tab on the application.
- Certification pay may apply.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Lung Transplant Coordinator Registered Nurse 10 Hour Day Shift, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 19 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0562326 Are you ready to bring your clinical competencies to a world-class facility recognized as top ten in the United States for transplant services? Do you hav...
Registered Nurse Lung Transplant Coordinator 10 Hour Day Shift, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 9 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0562326A Are you ready to bring your clinical competencies to a world-class facility recognized as top ten in the United States for transplant services? Do you ha...
Registered Nurse Iii Liver Transplant 8 Hour Day Shift, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 19 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0556393 Are you ready to bring your clinical skills to a world-class facility recognized as top ten in the United States for transplant services? Do you have a pa...
Transplant Coordinator I – Transplant – Full Time 8 Hour Days (Exempt) (Union), University of Southern California, United States, 6 days ago
Develops and maintains nursing practice standards of care for a specific transplant population. Serves as a liaison and provides consultation and education services to support standards of care. I...
Registered Nurse Iii Outpatient Hepatobiliary Clinic 10 Hour Day Shift, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 9 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0571182 Are you ready to bring your expert clinical competencies to a world-class facility recognized as top ten in the United States for transplant services? Do ...
Registered Nurse Universal Care Unit 3 Scct 12 Hour Nights, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 7 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0569855 Make a difference every single day When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and ever...