Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Founded as part of the new McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown in 2013 and launched in the fall of 2015, the Institute of Politics and Public Service (GU Politics) is dedicated to reconnecting young people with the notion that politics is a noble vehicle for public service.
The Chief of Staff directs operations for the McCourt School’s Institute of Politics and Public Service, providing support to the GU Politics Executive Director and managing GU Politics staff. S/he develops and implements strategies to engage the Georgetown student community as well as external partnerships, developing and implementing financial and fundraising strategies and plans. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Institute of Politics and Public Service, the Chief of Staff has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
- Directly manages full-time GU Politics staff of four, coordinating workflow, communications, processes and procedures, ensuring adequate division of work, follow-up and overall relation to current goals.
- Manages all vendor and consultant relationships.
- Interfaces with University HR operations including hiring processes, on-boarding of new staff, scheduling of all hourly positions, and serving as time keeper.
Fundraising and Finance
- Manages the day to day implementation of a fundraising plan.
- Serves as primary liaison to the Office of Advancement.
- Assists with identifying prospective donors from GU Politics network, alumni lists, and other prospect research.
- Identifies grant opportunities and potential sponsors for Institute programming, assisting the Director with Board and donor relations.
- Creates and manages GU Politics budget and interfaces with all relevant university departments on financial matters and expenditures.
- Exercises independent judgment to perform special assignments as requested by the Executive Director.
- Resolves, researches, assesses, and refers problems, often of a sensitive or confidential nature, serving as the primary point of contact for collaboration with other Institutes of Politics.
- Defines problems independently, conducts research as necessary, formulates solutions, and makes recommendations.
- Provides analytical and administrative support to the Director on a variety of issues, projects, and programs.
- Compiles data, solicits, and researches information from a variety of sources both on and off campus and prepares reports as requested.
- Independently responds to requests from faculty, fellows, staff and students regarding GU Politics procedures.
- Manages general communication between the GU Politics office, the McCourt School's Office of the Dean, and the Office of the President.
- Prepares updates on the progress of GU Politics (to Dean of the McCourt school) as requested, overseeing completion of annual report.
- Develops and oversees implementation of GU Politics student outreach, leadership recruitment, and engagement plan.
- Acts as primary staff liaison for the GU Politics student leadership group.
- Interfaces with relevant outside academic and student organizations to engage with their student constituencies and involve them in GU Politics programming.
- Interfaces with faculty members across university schools and departments to identify opportunities to address and engage their students.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in management and administration, with preference given to candidates from the fields of politics, government, advocacy, communications, journalism or related fields
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to communicate ideas and issues clearly, concisely and accurately with strong management skills
- Ability to deal effectively with high-level administrators, faculty members, special guests, and students
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
Tenure Track Faculty In Ethics And Public Policy, McCourt School of Public Policy, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -McCourt -ETHICS [#14167] Position Title: Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Public Policy Ethics Appl Deadline:2...
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor In Public Management, McCourt School of Public Policy, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -McCourt -PUBMANPROF [#14127] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subj...
Assistant Professor Of Political Economy Or Business Economics, With A Regional Focus On Europe, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -SFS -CGES [#14205] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Areas:...
Assistant Professor Of The Politics Of The Arab World, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -SFS -CCAS [#14305] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Area: ...
Assistant Professor, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -SFS -DATA [#14327] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Areas:...
Education Manager, Harvard University, United States, about 2 hours ago
22-Aug-2019 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 50256BR Job Code 388057 Museum Professional Duties & Responsibilities The Education Manager will support existing programming and lead the design and imple...