The Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (KCU) is searching for a Chair of the Department of Bioethics. The successful candidate will be a scholar who provides intellectual and administrative leadership for the Department of Bioethics on the KCU Kansas City and Joplin campuses. This faculty person is an ethicist and humanist with relevant academic credentials in Bioethics. The Chair will be responsible for academic programming and administrative operations for sustaining and growing this vital and thriving program. KCU Bioethics faculty are primarily teachers responsible for the delivery of the Master’s of Arts Bioethics degree as well as the integration of the Bioethics course content into the osteopathic medical school curriculum. The Chair will also demonstrate excellence in teaching, inclusive of online curriculum development and course delivery. A background of research and publication is desirable. Bioethics faculty on both campuses report to the department Chair, who reports to the Executive Dean of KCU.
The Bioethics Department Chair is responsible for:
- Administrative leadership of the Department of Bioethics, including all faculty (full-time and part-time), lecturers and other staff
- Administrative oversight of all bioethics curriculum, both in the DO degree program and the MA in Bioethics degree program
- Providing intellectual direction and infrastructural capability to ensure sustainability and growth of Bioethics curriculum and programs on both campuses, and ultimately online
- Annual evaluation of department full-time faculty
- Planning and leading an annual department retreat
- Facilitating regular department meetings
- Recruitment and retention of department full and part-time faculty
- Course direction of one or more courses and oversight of curriculum in the MA degree program in Bioethics
- Course direction of the DO Bioethics curriculum
- Providing occasional didactics for regional clinical residency/fellowship programs, ethics grand rounds, community programs, etc.
- Serving as an advisor to students and mentoring and coaching faculty development of student advising
- Thesis advising of MA Bioethics students based on opportunity
- Collaborative leadership with department faculty and staff on recruitment and retention of MA bioethics students
- University committee membership and leadership as assigned
- Regular participation in Deans and Chairs meetings, Faculty Senate, KCU Board meetings, Town Hall meetings, White Coat ceremonies, Commencement, Homecoming and other campus events
- The successful candidate must have a PhD, JD, DO, MD or other terminal degree of relevance to Bioethics, with a proven track record of excellence in Bioethics and academia. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates.
- Required Application Materials
- Required materials include: (a) current CV; (b) cover letter that includes the applicant’s vision for this position, and experience or qualifications pertinent to the position—highlighting evidence of strong a commitment to and excellence as an administrator and teacher; (c) list of at least three references (references will not be contacted without prior notification to the applicant).
Applications will be reviewed as received, and the position will remain open until it is filled. For more information, contact Ms. Shelby Ward at email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
KCU is committed to promoting an equal employment opportunity workplace. Equal opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information (GINA), physical or mental disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, ancestry, military and/or veteran status, and/or any other status protected by applicable Federal, state or local law.
Thank you for your interest in a career at KCU!
Assistant Professor In Special Education, University of Kansas, United States, about 12 hours ago
15480BR Special Education Position Overview The University of Kansas, Department of Special Education is seeking applicants for a tenure-track, assistant professor position in special education wi...
Assistant Professor Of Educational Leadership And Policy Studies, University of Kansas, United States, about 12 hours ago
15615BR Ed Leadership & Policy Studies Position Overview The Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the University of Kansas seeks to hire a fulltime faculty member at the Assi...
Assistant Professor, University of Kansas, United States, about 12 hours ago
15587BR Psychology Position Overview The University of Kansas seeks a tenure-track assistant professor in the Department of Psychology expected to begin as early as August 18, 2020. The desired ca...
Assistant Professor In Experimental Condensed Matter Physics, University of Kansas, United States, about 12 hours ago
15608BR Physics and Astronomy Position Overview The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Kansas (KU) seeks applicants for an Assistant Professorship in experimental condensed m...
Assoc Vice Chanc For Research (.50)/Tenured Faculty (.50) Internal, University of Kansas, United States, 14 days ago
15430BR Office of Research Position Overview This is an internal search available only to current, tenured faculty members at the University of Kansas - Lawrence Campus. The KU Office of Research ...
Associate Research Professor, University of Kansas, United States, about 12 hours ago
15578BR Social Welfare Position Overview The University of Kansas (KU) School of Social Welfare is seeking dynamic candidates for a 12 month, non-tenure track Associate Research Professor position...