Harvard University is one of the world’s preeminent research universities. Founded in 1636, Harvard is the oldest university in North America. The University has an enrollment of more than 6,600 undergraduate students and over 14,000 graduate students in the University’s ten graduate and professional schools. An additional 3,000 students are enrolled in one or more courses in the Harvard Extension School. Over 18,000 people work at Harvard, including approximately 2,300 faculty.
Campus Services at Harvard is a part of central administration with a goal to advance Harvard’s mission of teaching and research, by partnering to provide stewardship, strategies, and services that create exceptional community experiences. Campus Services business units include Energy & Facilities; Environmental Health & Safety; Capital Projects; Dining Services; Housing; Real Estate; Office for Sustainability; Transportation Services; Global Support Services; Common Spaces; Harvard International Office and Faculty Club. Campus Services has 2,100 employees with an operating budget of $600M and an annual capital spend of $135M.
Reporting to the Manager of Capital Contracts Procurement, the Capital Contracts Specialist works in collaboration with Campus Services Business Units and University Schools/Departments to support procurement and contracting related to Capital Project Delivery. The Contracts Administrator supports Capital Project Managers, Building Managers, and facilities staff in drafting contracts that leverage the University’s standard suite of agreements, ensuring diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts, providing consistent service levels, and supports the procurement process to meet business goals and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of draft procurement documents (Requests for Proposals, Invitations to Bid) for capital construction projects based on University best practices.
- Reviews Drafts of consultant/contractor agreements with Contracts Manager completion, execution, and risk identification. Monitors progress of contracts during the process of execution using Adobe Sign or similar program. Provides executed documents to all parties.
- Maintains a depository of consultant/contractor agreements.
- Collaborates with Harvard Capital Projects (HCP) Project Controls regarding project funding, contract data, and contract deliverables
- Acts as a resource and assists Capital Project Managers in implementing Harvard capital procurement policies and capital contract templates while promoting consistent procurement policies and procedures across Campus Services and University Schools/Departments engaged in Capital Project Delivery
- Assists with Adobe Sign and contract template management as required.
- Supports the University’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) efforts including the Harvard Construction Inclusion Plan (HCIP) identification of M/WBEs for capital project participation.
- Guarantees quality customer service and supports Campus Services Business Units and University Schools/Departments on capital procurement practices and guidelines
- Ensure contractual compliance with the University policies/procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ relevant work experience desired.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong analytical, written/verbal communication and project/data management skills.
- Demonstrated track record of success managing procurement and contracting for capital construction or construction/maintenance projects.
- Familiarity with contract management tools or other database systems and Microsoft applications, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Adobe, etc.
- Understanding of basic contract terms and conditions.
- Basic understanding of the design and construction industry.
- Comfortable with and interested in working on capital projects for the construction of the University’s built environment.
- Excellent organizational, time management and collaboration skills.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative; ability to effectively organize, multi-task and prioritize a wide array of initiatives.
- High integrity and ethics.
Work format: hybrid
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
403038 Staff Assistant III-Specialist
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Admin and Finance, Procurement
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Education, Employment, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Director, Strategic Infrastructure, Planning And Partnerships, University of Alberta, Canada, 6 days ago
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit. In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded) , this full-time continuing position offers a com...
Project Coordinator Major Capital Projects, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, about 16 hours ago
Project Coordinator - Major Capital Projects Calgary, AB Corporate Services – Facilities Management / APT Permanent Salary / Hybrid Apply for this job SAIT’s Facilities Management department serve...
Library Communications & Public Engagement Manager , ;, Ireland, 9 days ago
Applications are invited for a permanent post of a Library Communications & Public Engagement Manager within UCD Library. The mission of UCD Library is to be a leader in enriching the student expe...
Project Coordinator, RMIT University, Australia, about 10 hours ago
Overview: RMIT University Vietnam (RMIT Vietnam) is a campus of RMIT University with 700 staff and 7,000 students, in three locations, and recently awarded one of the Best Companies to work for in...
Deputy Administrator (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, about 18 hours ago
The Deputy Administrator for the University of Arizona Global Campus (UAGC) is a full-time employment position reporting to the Vice President Finance, UAGC . This position will play a crucia...
Construction Project Manager, Small Projects, University of Pittsburgh, United States, 23 days ago
Construction Project Manager, Small Projects Planning and Design Administration - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008394) Manages capital and/or in-house projects during the design and construction p...