Business Operations Manager
The College of Global Futures (CGF) is seeking a Business Operations Manager to perform a broad scope of fiscal duties and provide guidance to faculty and staff in support of ASU policies and procedures for the School of Complex Adaptive Systems (SCAS). The BOM will administer and control the business operations functions in The School of Complex Adaptive Systems. These functions include budgeting, accounting, strategic planning, inventory control, internal procedures and other functions designated by the School Director and the CGF Director of Fiscal and Business Operations. As a member of the College’s senior finance team, the BOM will also assist with the business operations of the College and its other Schools as needed.
Arizona State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes valuable employee benefits to enhance the total compensation of its staff. This package includes: (Click here to explore options)
- Tuition Reduction Program for staff members, their spouses, and dependents, available on day one.
- Low-cost health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits.
- Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement.
- Paid time for volunteer and professional development.
- Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings.
- Disability and leave program for income protection.
- Employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services.
College of Global Futures
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$56,160 - $72,000 per year; DOE
- Prepare school operational and special budgets; assist in budget projections and analyses. Administer personnel budget and determine budgetary impact of all salary actions.
- Monitor a variety of account expenditures, maintain and reconcile detailed budgets for various accounts, advise and/or determine which expenditures are within the budget guidelines; inform management of irregularities and proceed with corrective action.
- Prepare financial and administrative reports; analyze and interpret statistical, financial and management planning data for decision-making and strategic planning.
- Manage the processing of travel reimbursements, purchase of supplies, services, and equipment with the use of PCard or other purchasing documents in accordance with established procurement and financial policies. Initiate and or approves financial transactions in university accounting systems ASU‘s Financial Management Systems in accordance with best practices.
- Maintain departmental p-card(s), including daily management, document retention and monthly reconciliations.
- Coordinate internal and external audits and prepares audit documents for PCards and financial records. Process payroll reconciliation and payroll redistributions.
- Assist with research administration including 1) post-award financial processing and management, (At-Risk accounts, Pre-Award costs, re-budgets, No Cost Extensions, and all other OAF actions), 2) account monitoring and reconciling, 3) expense transfers and 4) After-the-fact reports.
- Assist with pre-award management as needed, including internal funding awards: providing assistance in drafting budgets and justifications in conjunction with PI, preparing budget forms or creating acceptable budget formats, assisting with other required forms and review for compliance.
- Partner with KE HR on coordination and processing of personnel searches and hiring. Work with senior staff and HR team on hiring and renewals of students and faculty associates. Assist with submitting payroll requests to KE HR, including additional pay and employee change requests. Work with KE HR team on visa application and renewal processes.
- Keep informed of, interpret and apply pertinent rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by university or other governing agency; informs affected staff as changes occur.
- Develop recommendations for implementation of procedures for daily operations of assigned functions according to established policies; prepares and updates internal manuals.
- Represent work unit at financial team meetings and serve as liaison for unit on business operations matters.
- Participate in development of long-range strategic and financial plan for the School and College
Bachelor's degree in a related field and six (6) years of directly related administrative experience which includes three (3) years of supervisory experience; OR, Ten (10) years of directly related administrative experience which includes three (3) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience developing and managing budgets of various size and complexity
- Experience with ASU Business Operations and Fiscal Management systems including Workday (both ASU and ASUEP), PeopleSoft, Concur, ERA, Adaptive Planning, Analytics Dashboards, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business operations and management principles and practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices and principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU policies and state/federal laws pertaining to budgeting and accounting practices.
- Experience in coordinating activities and establishing priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple demands across a variety of functions and timelines
- Ability to solve problems, to correct mistakes and overcome failure
- Evidence of being strategic and forward thinking.
- Evidence of effective communication.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Hybrid schedule with 2 days work from home may be an option after the first month.
The School of Complex Adaptive Systems (https://scas.asu.edu/ ) was established as a foundational institution within the College of Global Futures, ASU's center of experiential learning, engaged research, and real-world problem-solving dedicated to the present and future well-being of our planet. The school focuses on complex systems science as a common language and framework, a way of thinking and knowing, and as a set of skills required to address problems that transcend traditional disciplinary boundaries. We promote excellence in education and research in an integrated academic structure without unnecessary internal disciplinary barriers and by wide-ranging international collaborations. Grown from the Global Biosocial Complexity Initiative at ASU and developed in affiliation with the Santa Fe Institute, the School of Complex Adaptive Systems develops solutions and suggests interventions that enhance resilience and stability of some of the most critical aspects of our shared global futures, with a focus on sustainability, health, economics, technology, social stability and innovation.
In the College of Global Futures (https://collegeofglobalfutures.asu.edu ), we prepare our students to address some of the greatest challenges of our time, from ensuring the social benefits of powerful new technologies and creating just and sustainable futures, to exploring solutions to emerging issues that transcend the limitations of conventional thinking. Through our schools and expert faculty focused on sustainability, ethical innovation, complexity and our oceans, we empower our students to make smart decisions about the future so that they are able to meet the global challenges of today and tomorrow. The College of Global Futures is part of the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory, the world’s first comprehensive, university-based approach to ensuring a habitable planet and a future where well-being is attainable for all humankind.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Manager, Financial Services (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 20 days ago
Reporting to the Director of Financial Services the Financial Services Manager is a full-time position. The Financial Services Manager will advise and assist students with the student finance proc...
Global Professor (China/Vietnam) (Multiple Positions), The University of Arizona, United States, 6 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Global Professor (China/Vietnam) (Multiple Positions) United States | req13741 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Global Professor (China/Vietnam) (Multiple Positions) ...
Manager, Campus & Community Security, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 23 hours ago
Job Purpose: The Manager of Campus and Community Security is responsible for providing protection, maintaining, and improving security and safety on KAUST properties (including the KAUST campus, c...
Manager, Security Operations, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 10 days ago
Job Purpose: The Manager of Security Operations is responsible for overseeing and directing the activities of all units within the Security Operations division, including the Visitors Center, Secu...
Financial Analyst (Hybrid Schedule), HHMI, United States, about 4 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 4000 Jones Bridge Road, Chevy Chase, MD, 20815 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward ...
Admissions & Matriculation Coordinator (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 6 days ago
The Admission & Matriculation Coordinator for the University of Arizona Global Campus (Global Campus) is a full-time employment position reporting to the Admission & Matriculation Manager . T...