The Business Manager works for the Chemistry faculty as directed by the Chair. The Business Manager conducts all business related operations of the department and the chemistry stockroom with minimal direction required from the Chair. The Business Manager discusses with the Chair any major changes in these duties. The Chair gives written and verbal instructions to the Business Manager on special projects or changes that are needed in the department.
40% Manage Daily Operations of Chemistry Department, Chemistry Stockroom, and Provide Support for the Chair
- Act as liaison with the Shared Service Center to provide timely financial information to the Chair for departmental operations and planning. Prepare financial reports and budgets as directed by the Chair.
- Budget, order, and monitor inventory of departmental supplies for the main office, chemistry teaching laboratories, and chemistry support personnel. This includes responsibility for the departmental vehicle.
- Manage business operations of the Chemistry Stockroom. Supervise the storekeeper and fill in when needed. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, approving orders/bills and monitoring the inventory of supplies, chemicals, and compressed gases. The Business Manager is also responsible for the university alcohol license and must be eligible to hold this license. As such, they are responsible for the ordering, inventory, and tracking of ethanol on the main campus and filing the requisite government documents.
- Process billing and deposits for Chemistry poster printing and other cost centers, as needed.
- Coordinate postdoctoral and research associate hiring
- Interview, hire, and coordinate all student hourly requirements of the department.
- Work with Facilities Planning and Building Manager on renovations involving Chemistry Research Spaces.
- Work with Building Managers, Facilities Operation and Johnson Controls involving minor improvements or repairs in Chemistry Space.
- Interact with the Purchasing Department concerning special situations, problems and difficulties with purchasing regulations.
- Conduct chemistry department business with other offices on campus, such as the Comptroller’s Office, College Office, University General Counsel, Human Resources, and Environmental Health and Safety.
- Handles requests, questions and complaints from faculty, employees, students and the public at large concerning the operations of the Chemistry Department and the actions of Departmental Personnel.
- Manage common multi-function devices belonging to the Department, including billing back copies to other departments, coordinating maintenance and the ordering of supplies.
20% Supervision of staff:
- Supervises teaching laboratory support personnel, lecture demonstration coordinator, and department instrument builder.
- Supervises chemistry stockroom storekeeper and any student hourly required for the stockroom.
- The Business Manager will hire, train and supervise these employees at the Chair’s discretion.
: Maintains endowment records including processing payments, reconciliation of accounts, processes scholarship and awards for both domestic and foreign students, and works with Endowment on scholarship projections figures. Provides Chair with timely information on balances of endowment accounts (including encumbrances), how the account must be used and other information necessary for proper representation of accounts.
5% Preparing Reports
: The Business Manager is responsible for preparing and coordinating Departmental reports, compiling information for surveys, and summarizing budgetary information for the department.
: The Business Manager is the primary safety coordinator for the Department and is an ad hoc member of the Chemistry Department Safety Committee and the Integrated Science Building Safety Committee. Responsible for random checks of labs and hallways for possible safety violations and works with faculty to resolve any issues. Individual must stay current with regulatory changes (chemical regulations, waste, safety, fire safety) and modifies the Chemistry Department procedures to accommodate them. Works with faculty, employees, students and others on problems related to Federal, State, and University regulations. Responsible for meeting with fire department and police representatives when problems arise.
The Business Manager is an ad hoc member of the departmental Space and Facilities Committee and serves as the space reporting coordinator. Takes notes at the meetings and provides information to the chair of the committee about research and teaching space. Compiles statistical information about space for the Chair of the department and is the primary contact for remodels and compliance issues.
Responsible for Capital Equipment inventory – works with Comptroller’s Office to locate, tag and remove items from inventory. Works with Recycle to discard unused items.
5% Other duties as assigned by the Chair.
Contact Information to Applicants
Professor Robert Dunn
Additional Candidate Instruction
Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application will include a cover letter, resume and a list of 3 professional references.
Review of applications will begin on September 16, 2019 and will continue until a pool of qualified applicants is obtained.
Advertised Salary Range
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
University of Kansas - Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu , 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
Assistant Teaching Professor, Mathematics, United States, 28 days ago
The Department of Mathematics, University of Kansas invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor in calculus. Position expected to begin January 1, 2020. Ph.D. in Mathematics or Mathe...