Campus: Downtown Phoenix
Business Intelligence Analyst
Join our growing team! The College of Integrative Sciences and Arts (CISA) at Arizona State University, is seeking a business intelligence analyst with expertise in student data and processes to join our data team. As part of the Dean’s Office, the business intelligence analyst will use ASU Analytics Platform Business Intelligence (BI) tools to create report and query objects; provide both routine and ad hoc analysis for decision-making for both Academic Advising and Student Support, while supporting the data needs of units, the college’s Dean’s Office and administration. The position can be based at either the Polytechnic, Tempe or Downtown campus; remote work is available.
VP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$67,000 - $75,000 per year; DOE
- Using a variety of reporting and visualization tools such as DBeaver, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS-Report Builder), Tableau, Alteryx, Hyperion Studio, Excel, and other BI tools and knowledge of student systems, data and processes, provides accurate, timely and consistent reporting and analysis.
- Using data analysis techniques, provides support for the management and information needs of key decision makers and CISA stakeholders (e.g., student and class reporting, teaching evaluations, retention and graduation rates, budget reports, human resources reporting, etc.)
- Assists stakeholders such as academic leads, student success specialists, and class schedulers with information needs through understanding of data and metadata content. Identifies and assesses potential data sources.
- Queries, develops, and maintains data files and reports using BI Tools for internal and stakeholder use.
- Develops and utilizes knowledge of university data stores including the ASU data warehouse, internal data, and university partner datasets.
- Discovers, creates, and maintains data utilizing programming languages such as SQL in an Amazon Workspaces environment.
- Experience translating SQL from various tools to efficiently running SQL in various databases (e.g., Hyperion to Redshift, PostgreSQL)
- Assists the Dean’s Office and units by providing information for operational and strategic plans, and accreditation reviews.
- Supports the course evaluation process; provides data and metrics for assessment of student outcomes; maintains and develops datasets used by advisors and other student-facing units to help with student interventions and programming.
- Designs and develops predictive models that support enrollment, academic and financial planning efforts, and decision-making.
- Communicates with internal and external constituencies to obtain necessary information; building strong relationships.
- Develops and facilitates related workshops and/or training materials for staff in the use of reporting tools, data fields, and explains limitations of methodology related to problem analysis and measurement.
- Continuously looks for ways to improve and better support our students and staff.
- Actively participates in the monthly Reporting Warehouse and Users Group.
- Collaborates with team members, participates in user groups and professional organizations to stay up to date with new data sources and tools.
Bachelor’s degree in a business, information technology or closely related field and two (2) years’ experience in data modeling or database design using SQL or similar language, BI tool use and administration as well as user training/documentation development experience OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in quantitative, analytic, and problem-solving skills. High level of attention to detail.
- Experience developing queries and reports with Alteryx, Tableau, MS Report Builder, SQL, Hyperion Interactive Reporting, (MyReports), DBeaver, and Excel/PowerQuery.
- Evidence of effective customer service skills. Experience in asking questions pertinent to the purpose of any analysis.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of data sources, relational database design, ETL tools and development logic and constructs, especially as related to data warehouse technology. Able to download, merge, manipulate, analyze, and report on large amounts of complex data.
- Experience with the principles, methods, and techniques of developing queries for reporting and analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of higher education performance measures such as retention, graduation rates and faculty performance measures.
- Experience with higher education processes, systems, and data such as with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Salesforce CRM, and HR systems.
- Experience with Redshift and Amazon WorkSpaces.
- Experience in identifying appropriate data sources, extracting, and manipulating data from multiple and diverse database sources by designing, refining and running complex data queries.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a variety of individuals.
- Two years professional work experience in higher education.
- Experience meeting project deadlines.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
ASU's College of Integrative Sciences and Arts values diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are home to innovative employees who are guided by educational access, student success, applied learning, and interdisciplinary inquiry. CISA has over 7,300 students in all levels of degree programs and nearly 250 faculty members. We understand that there are many paths to achieving a university education, and we build undergraduate and graduate degree programs and pathways that are flexible and relevant for a rapidly changing world. Please visit our website for additional information: https://cisa.asu.edu/
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Professor/Director Bermuda Institute Of Ocean Sciences, Arizona State University /School of Ocean Futures, Bermuda, 1 day ago
Arizona State University (ASU, www.asu.edu) is searching for the next director of the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS, http://www.bios.edu/), located in Bermuda. BIOS is a research cent...
Business Intelligence Architect, Office Of Strategy Management And Institutional Effectiveness, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 16 days ago
Reports to: Senior Director, Business Intelligence Purpose: The job holder is responsible for architecting data solutions that benefits the business. A Business Intelligence (BI) architect promo...
Software Engineer 1, Temple University, United States, 17 days ago
Software Engineer 1 - (22004068) Description As part of the Applications & Data Services – Student Collaboration Center team, the Software Engineer 1 will create and support the University’s Stude...
Software Engineer 1, Temple University, United States, 3 days ago
Software Engineer 1 - (22004166) Description As part of the Applications & Data Services – Student Collaboration Center team, the Software Engineer 1 will create and support the University’s Stude...
Human Resources Planning And Hrms, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Job Purpose The Senior Human Resources Management Systems (HRMS) Specialist analyzes, coordinates, and maintains HR related information and systems to support continuous process improvement. Indep...
Fire Safety Engineer, CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 24 days ago
Company Description At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most comp...