|Bioinformatics Programmer III|
|9401 Bioinformatics Programmer III|
|Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases|
|Monday, Wednesday – Friday, 9:00 am - 2:30 pm PST|
| JOB OVERVIEW|
The Willsey Lab specializes in research to define the etiology of childhood neuropsychiatric diseases, especially Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) and Tourette Disorder. We are looking to hire a bioinformatics professional to aid in the bioinformatic analysis of genomic data. Specifically, the role will include parsing data from standard genomic file formats (Fastq, BAM, VCF, etc.), installing, modifying, and or creating genomic analysis tools written in Perl or another suitable language to work on various high performance computing clusters (Amazon Web Services, UCSF internal, etc), and assisting other members of the laboratory in running these tools on their data. The ideal candidate will be familiar with: Perl computer programming, using a computing cluster to perform parallelized analysis of data, using the Genome Analysis Toolkit (GATK) to process genomic data, and working with the standard genomic file formats. This position will work under direct supervision by the Principal Investigator (PI), and training will be provided.
The Bioinformatics Programmer III uses skills as a seasoned, experienced bioinformatics programming professional with a broad understanding of computational algorithms; identifies and resolves a wide range of issues / software bugs. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Operates independently.
INSTITUTE FOR NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1999, the IND is committed to creating therapeutics that will halt diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and dementia resulting from traumatic brain injuries. The IND is poised to make serious contributions to this struggle at the frontier of neuroscience and medicine. The mission of the Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases is to discover causes and develop cures for these illnesses with an innovative program of basic research and clinical medicine. The IND is directed by Nobel Laureate Stanley Prusiner, MD
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| • Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, Human Genetics or related area and three to five years relevant experience and / or equivalent experience / training|
• Thorough knowledge of bioinformatics methods, applications programming, web development and data structures
• Thorough knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification and implementation
• Understanding of relational databases, web interfaces, and operating systems
• Proficient at Perl and/or Python and/or R programming
• Prior experience working in a high performance computing environment
• Prior experiences with Amazon Web Services
• Prior work with large amounts of genomics and other biological data
• Prior systems administration with UNIX/Linux
• Familiarity with statistical analysis
• Communication skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel in multiple fields of expertise and at various levels in the organization
• Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to interface with management on a regular basis
• Self-motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills
• Demonstrates excellent attendance and professionalism
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Interested in learning about genetics
• Attention to detail
• Ability to pick up new techniques quickly
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Proven record of excelling in a team environment (5 plus individuals) but still possess an independent work ethic
• Proven ability to work within a team to accomplish specific goals at specified times
• Outstanding job references
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
| • Strong project management skills|
• Thorough knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research
• Thorough knowledge of web, application and data security concepts and methods
|The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.|
Lab Assistant, Igi (9602 C) #23637, University of California, United States, 5 days ago
Job Description Job Title: Lab Assistant, IGI (9602C) #23637 Job ID: 23637 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Innovative Genomics Institute Regular/Temporary: Regu...
Staff Research Associate, Mcb (9613 C) #23609, University of California, United States, 10 days ago
Job Description Job Title: Staff Research Associate, MCB (9613C) #23609 Job ID: 23609 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Molecular & Cell Biology Regular/Temporary...
Web Assistant, University of San Francisco, United States, about 12 hours ago
Position Information Job Title Web Assistant Department Marketing Communications Job Location Main Campus - Hilltop Job Type Student Hourly Salary Range $14+/hour based on experience Hours per wee...
Information Systems Analyst, Mathematics (7309) #23707, University of California, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Information Systems Analyst, Mathematics (7309) #23707 Job ID: 23707 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Mathematics Regular/Temporary: R...
Digital Communications Specialist 3 (7455 U) #23711, University of California, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Digital Communications Specialist 3 (7455U) #23711 Job ID: 23711 Location: Off Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department SPH Administration Regular/Temporary:...
Systems Administrator Lead, Bsl (0520 U) #23652, University of California, United States, 2 days ago
Job Description Job Title: Systems Administrator Lead, BSL (0520U) #23652 Job ID: 23652 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Berkeley Seismological Lab Regular/Tempo...