We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual to join our research effort investigating genetic and molecular variation in the context of human aging, with a focus on brain tissue. This position will work with the Suh, Nuriel and Menon labs to incorporate existing and new experimental data on the trajectory of human aging and neurological disease.
The candidate will develop, execute, and maintain bioinformatics pipelines to process and analyze genetic, transcriptomic (bulk and single-nucleus RNA-seq), epigenetic, and proteomic data from mouse and human brains. In addition, the candidate will incorporate analysis results into a parse-able format for non-bioinformatics experts.
The ideal candidate should have a quantitative background (Computer Science, Statistics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Applied Mathematics, Computational Neuroscience, Genomics, or Bioinformatics), and extensive experience in standard workflows for analysis of large-scale molecular data, specifically to answer questions about aging-associated changes in human and model system data. In-depth knowledge of at least one flavor of data (genetics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, or proteomics) is required, and successful applicants will receive on-the-job training for other data modalities in the Menon and Suh labs. The candidate should have good knowledge of programming languages for implementing computational algorithms on large-scale data (R, Python, Perl), as well as experience working in Linux/Unix on high-performance computing/cluster platforms.
The successful candidate will be part of an integrated team of neurologists, data scientists, and cell biologists who come together to perform team-based projects. The position therefore offers a stimulating and multi-disciplinary environment and the opportunity to work with a variety of researchers at Columbia University. There will be many opportunities to contribute to multiple ongoing national and international collaborative projects.
- Responsible for assembling, executing, and developing the latest bioinformatics pipelines for primary analysis of ‘omics data in the context of aging.
- Contribute to QA/QC of published and newly generated data sets.
- Develop analysis workflows to answer targeted questions about changes in molecular profiles in healthy aging or disease in human.
- Display initiative and independence in providing rapid results to various investigators generating experimental data.
- Communicate results to non-bioinformatics experts and develop novel analysis approaches in response to new questions or insight.
- Prepare summary reports of data and results for dissemination to colleagues and collaborators.
- Directly respond to inquiries regarding projects being managed. Produce subsets of data for distribution to collaborators as approved by the principal investigators.
- Requires bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus four years of related experience.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, applied mathematics, computational neuroscience, computer science, statistics, biostatistics, physics, or related area.
- Demonstrated programming skills
- Demonstrated experience with building pipelines for at least one “omics” data modality (genetics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, proteomics).
- Strong organizational skills in managing and analyzing large datasets
- Programming experience in R, Python, Perl, or C/C++
- Ability to work independently, display initiative within a team environment, and respond rapidly to requests
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Faculty In Anatomic Pathology, Biomedical Sciences, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -BioMed -ANPATH [#18409, WDR-00025377] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Areas:...
Faculty Positions In Anatomic Pathology, Department Of Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University, United States, 1 day ago
Faculty Positions in Anatomic Pathology, Department of Biomedical Sciences Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, facul...
Early Childhood Educator, Suffolk County Farm, Yaphank, Ny, Cornell University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Prepare and assist with Early Childhood Programs Assist with festivals and special events. Assist with day-to-day operations of Farm Education programs. This is a part-time permeant 25 hours per ...
Hr Administrator, Adjunct & Graduate Student Affairs, New York University, United States, 4 days ago
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources in the Steindhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, assist with the administration and delivery of human resources services for the ...
Multiple Tenure/Tenure Track And Clinical Faculty Positions, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Departments are recruiting in the broad areas of aging/gerontology, biostatistics, bioinformatics, cancer epidemiology, health disparities, environmental health sciences, infectious disease, m...
Crm System Analyst, Fairleigh Dickinson University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Posting Details Job Title: CRM System Analyst Campus: Metropolitan Campus, Teaneck, NJ Department: Management Information Systems-Metro Hiring Manager: Saul Kleinman Hiring Manager Title: Associat...